2nd Hand Car Considerations

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

2nd Hand Car Considerations

Post by White Goodman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:04 pm

Just wanted to ask for posters thoughts on 2nd hand cars.

Recently sent my latest lease back, been carless for about 4 months but want to have a look for something now that the new year is here.

Since I was around 25 , I've always bought new or leased, with the last one being a fair chunk of change per month and I was wondering if it was perhaps a bit better to get something with up to 30k on the clock and buy second hand instead?

Seen what look to be some very good RR Sport examples where it's the top of the range model, about 2/3 years old with 20k on the clock.

The equivalent lease would be about 400/500 per month more.

I'm right in thinking that if it's been looked after, then 20k miles is nothing right?

fjthegrey

Re: 2nd Hand Car Considerations

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:07 pm

I got a 3 year old Kia Cee'd which had about 22k on the clock about 18 months ago.

20k is nothing mate. It'll feel virtually new if it's been treated proper.

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:09 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:07 pm
I got a 3 year old Kia Cee'd which had about 22k on the clock about 18 months ago.

20k is nothing mate. It'll feel virtually new if it's been treated proper.
:thup: Thanks mate, that was my thinking but I can just about put petrol in a car , such is my mechanical knowledge, so just wanted to check.

jastons

Post by jastons » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:23 pm

White Goodman wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:09 pm
:thup: Thanks mate, that was my thinking but I can just about put petrol in a car , such is my mechanical knowledge, so just wanted to check.
Don't buy a Diesel then, whatever you do :)

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:40 pm

Why Jastons?

I've owned diesels before and they were fine.

Is your comment based on the fact that some manufacturers are tying to phase them out?

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:41 pm

jastons wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:23 pm
Don't buy a Diesel then, whatever you do :)
Duh sorry, just got your point :)

Oh and yes I've put petrol in a diesel previously

ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:52 pm

^^^^^^

That's a pain in the arse,

I can never understand why car makers don't make the fuel tank hole a different shape / size for petrol and diesel so the nozzle won't fit in.

Or at least a chip on the tank entry that won't allow the pump to start pumping if it's the wrong fuel.

Seems easy enough to do and would save a fortune of mishaps

sendô

Post by sendô » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:05 pm

The lease vs buy thing depends on what car you want and mileage I guess.

I always used to buy second hand, cars a few years old but in decent nick, pay cash or pay it off quick and then look after the car and keep it a few years. I also had a few older run arounds that I paid cash for, used for a bit then moved on.

Trouble is a couple of years ago I had 2 cars in a row that turned out to be money pits. The first one I got shot of sharpish but the second one was at the mechanics more than it was parked in my front garden. My mechanic was sending me Christmas cards I was giving him so much money.

It's changed the way I look at cars. I always wanted a nice flashy motor that had a bit of oomph and looked the bit, but the reality is a car is an ever depreciating asset that is useful only for transporting you from one place to the other. A newer car will always be more reliable - what good is a car that is broken when you need it.

The car I've got at the moment is a PCP deal, but my next car will almost certainly be a lease, and most likely the cheapest per month deal I can get.

I realise this isn't what you asked WG. :D

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Get a Kia.

Built like tanks, 7 year warranty as standard. They're essentially just budget Hyundai's, i30 and the Cee'd are off the same production line, just have a different shell.

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:46 pm

sendô wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:05 pm
The lease vs buy thing depends on what car you want and mileage I guess.

I always used to buy second hand, cars a few years old but in decent nick, pay cash or pay it off quick and then look after the car and keep it a few years. I also had a few older run arounds that I paid cash for, used for a bit then moved on.

Trouble is a couple of years ago I had 2 cars in a row that turned out to be money pits. The first one I got shot of sharpish but the second one was at the mechanics more than it was parked in my front garden. My mechanic was sending me Christmas cards I was giving him so much money.

It's changed the way I look at cars. I always wanted a nice flashy motor that had a bit of oomph and looked the bit, but the reality is a car is an ever depreciating asset that is useful only for transporting you from one place to the other. A newer car will always be more reliable - what good is a car that is broken when you need it.

The car I've got at the moment is a PCP deal, but my next car will almost certainly be a lease, and most likely the cheapest per month deal I can get.

I realise this isn't what you asked WG. :D
Thanks mate :-)

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:50 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:28 pm
Get a Kia.

Built like tanks, 7 year warranty as standard. They're essentially just budget Hyundai's, i30 and the Cee'd are off the same production line, just have a different shell.
I have considered it , quite like the Sportage and the warranty is very appealing.

My last car was great but it almost required a second job to run it and I regretted it 1 year into a 4 year deal. It almost made me angry that a firm could make a car that was so utterly ****ing ridiculous from an MPG perspective when driving around town at low speed. Just forever at Esso.

Added to that it got keyed A LOT and my wife crashed it into what must have been a giraffe on the M25 . £5.5 k worth of damage .

Was the final straw and can't go back to that sort of thing ever.

Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Obviously don't know your thoughts on car makes/models in general Whitey, but have you considered the Honda range?

In my experience, they just don't let you down and never seem to know when they're beaten. A few years ago, I bought my second CR-V (first one lost an argument with the garden wall; long story) second hand on a 04 plate. The clock has just gone to 148,000, but it's like the engine is saying: "And?"

sendô

Post by sendô » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:45 pm

^ It's not usually the engine that signals the demise of any car these days from what I can gather.

ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:00 pm

sendô wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:45 pm
^ It's not usually the engine that signals the demise of any car these days from what I can gather.

No it's the nut behind the steering wheel :lol:

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:30 pm

ageing hammer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:52 pm
^^^^^^

That's a pain in the arse,

I can never understand why car makers don't make the fuel tank hole a different shape / size for petrol and diesel so the nozzle won't fit in.

Or at least a chip on the tank entry that won't allow the pump to start pumping if it's the wrong fuel.

Seems easy enough to do and would save a fortune of mishaps
Ask and you shall receive sir ...

https://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/

peter49uk

Post by peter49uk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:31 pm

My Kia Ceed Station-wagon (Estate) was an approved Kia car about 10 months old. Because it was approved they put an extra year to the warranty so I started with 7 full years warranty, I have had it for just over 3 years so I still have 2 years 10 months or there abouts left on the warranty. I had a problem with the head lights and they replaced both FOC and just two months ago noticed the door rubber was perishing and they did that FOC. I used to get new cars but stopped that and now go for low mileage, under a year old cars. Oh and it gets regular servicing

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:32 pm

ageing hammer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:00 pm
No it's the nut behind the steering wheel :lol:
Remember, it's the loose nut, ageing :D

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:05 pm

White Goodman wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:41 pm
Duh sorry, just got your point :)
Whitey!

Yeah, I think I'd rule out buying anything diesel. I believe it's now more expensive than unleaded? & you'll probably never be able to sell it on, in the future. Unless you want to run it into the ground.
It's tricky, there's plus & minuses in both brand new & 2/3 year old. New, you lose ALL of that tax, as you drive it away BUT equally, you know that no c*nt's abused it..
It used to be quite common that people would get rid of a car before it reached its first mot (even if there was nothing really wrong with it. That might have also been in the days of only having 3 year warranties). Then there was always a bit of a worry that people used to get rid of cars when they started getting problems but again, in these days now of longer warranties, that's probably less of an issue. Cars out of all warranty, are of course, a very different matter & you would have to expect paying out to fix problems, soon after buying..unless you knew the person very well & it had always been serviced.
20k over 3 years = <7k per year. Yes, very good, so long as it's been running all those 3 years & not a low mileage on it because of faults:wink:
36k over 3 years is starting to be, not so great.
It depends what you want as well. If you're ok with something not very exciting & economical (& probably cheaper for servicing & spares), it'll be cheaper to buy & run. The more power & excitement, everything will cost more, to initially buy & then to run.
What about Hybrid (petrol/electric) or Electric (VERY expensive new)?
As fj said, 7 seven years warranties on Kia's is very good. It's telling all of us that they're pretty trustworthy for, well, 7 years at least. 5 years on Honda's & Hyundai's are also very good. Jap & Korean cars being excellently well made & now, having the bodywork to match (unlike in the 1970's or 80's :wink: ).
Like I said, it's tricky & a lot to consider! Start by making a list of things that you definitely want in a car..

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:10 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:30 pm
Ask and you shall receive sir ...

https://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/
I can't remember which way round it is but one is worse than the other.
I think it's petrol in a diesel isn't quite as bad as diesel in a petrol..either way, if you've noticed, DON'T start the engine!

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:54 am

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:40 pm
Obviously don't know your thoughts on car makes/models in general Whitey, but have you considered the Honda range?

In my experience, they just don't let you down and never seem to know when they're beaten. A few years ago, I bought my second CR-V (first one lost an argument with the garden wall; long story) second hand on a 04 plate. The clock has just gone to 148,000, but it's like the engine is saying: "And?"
Yes. We have a Honda Civic that we've had from new (06)

Has 95k on the clock now, would imagine it might comfortably do double that but as said elsewhere, all the other bits might have dropped off by then