2nd Hand Car Considerations

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

-DL-
Match thread guru

Re: 2nd Hand Car Considerations

Post by -DL- » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:51 am

RichieRiv wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:59 pm

Maybe just a one off. I'm sure some German cars are not as reliable as maybe they should.
Does surprise me the frequency I see relatively new, as in not even a few years old, German cars on the hard shoulder awaiting assistance.

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:45 pm

Probably because they are not made in the Fatherland.

All right hand drive c class mercs are made in Sarf Africa.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:43 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:59 pm
Got a mate with a new RRS and it's been a lemon. Gearbox, Central Locking, electrical issues.

Maybe just a one off. I'm sure some German cars are not as reliable as maybe they should.
Over-engineered, over-priced and to be honest, punching way above their weight now that the Japanese are offering all the German "extras" as standard. I wouldn't touch a German car now due to their extortionate prices, unreliability (especially BMW) and the dealership extortionate rates for parts and labour

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:40 pm

Hence why I lease. New car every 2 to 3 years, all covered by manufacturers warranty and I pay about 12 quid a month for maintenance which covers all servicing and tyres - including punctures.

jastons

Post by jastons » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:22 pm

German cars are notorious for indicators not working and faulty mirrors.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:53 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:45 pm
Probably because they are not made in the Fatherland.

All right hand drive c class mercs are made in Sarf Africa.
I believe the estates are made in ze vaterland. Mine was, although it is a 2004 and things may have changed. It's been ultra reliable and there's not even a hint of tinworm.

Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:14 am

Tax breaks on company lease of electric cars as of April I believe. Not sure on the exact criteria.

I'd get a Tesla. The Model 3 comes in at well under 400 ex VAT and goes like **** of a shovel.

Bamber Gascoigne

Post by Bamber Gascoigne » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:30 am

jastons wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:22 pm
German cars are notorious for indicators not working and faulty mirrors.
I thought they were optional extras purchasers of German cars never ticked on their order sheet..... :arry:

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:39 am

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:53 pm
I believe the estates are made in ze vaterland. Mine was, although it is a 2004 and things may have changed. It's been ultra reliable and there's not even a hint of tinworm.
All W205 models are shipped out of Port Elizabeth.

codger

Post by codger » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:28 pm

If you are maybe tempted to buy a nice looking second hand Land Rover/Range Rover even if it seems to be a bargain at a low price then think again. That is unless you have very deep pockets and and can cope with lots of waiting time for repairs.
Example, I have a good friend who obtained one at a bargain price and three months later paid over 2Gs for a new turbo. The body has to be lifted off the chassis for access. He waited two weeks for it. That gives you a good idea of the crap design. They make things look luxurious and
pretty but give no thought to maintenance. I have always said that if designers had to work on these vehicles they would design them differently.
I am a highly qualified motor engineer with letters and have been for many years so please take heed.

Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Morocco Mole wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:14 am
Tax breaks on company lease of electric cars as of April I believe. Not sure on the exact criteria.

I'd get a Tesla. The Model 3 comes in at well under 400 ex VAT and goes like **** of a shovel.
As I understand it (and I stand to be corrected) your firm leases the car and claims the VAT back. They then deduct the monthly lease payment (ex VAT) from your gross monthly wage and you get income tax relief (at source presumably) on that portion of your wages. Win win.

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:06 pm

Get a BMW 7 series.

Hugh Jargon II

Post by Hugh Jargon II » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:38 pm

I have leased for years. I've currently got a Volvo s90. 37 k car that I wouldnt spunk that much on.

The issue I have with newish cars is you have to be careful what you get. I leased a Mazda 6 sport years ago that needed a new fuel pump. Not my problem as I leased but out of curiosity I asked the mechanic how much the repair cost. It was about 3k. Not kidding. The costs of parts was crazy.

Best car I ever had was my x type jag. Loved that car. Fully loaded. Auto and 4 wheel drive. When you weigh up I pay 8k stretching 3 years for the lease I often wonder if I should have kept it. Only cost 3.5k but it wouldn't do much more than 21 mpg in town traffic so I got rid.

I'm not sure I would buy a expensive diesel in 2020. I might keep leasing for the next 5 years after which I suspect electric cars will be a viable option for most.

hammer etc

Post by hammer etc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:21 pm

I don't think the low millage is as important as you may think. Obviously you won't want a very high millage one. A car that does a few short journeys never gets to warm up. A low milllage car that has been used to pop to the local shop, school and station mostly will have spent most of it's time running with a cold engine. If you are in the city you will be stop starting and going up and down the gears. A car that is used on motorways and A roads will run fine at low revs in 6th gear.

Whitters

Post by Whitters » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:23 am

I bought a LR Discovery Sport Diesel new nearly 4 years ago, now has 60k on the clock and has been trouble-free (touch wood). It is a good all-rounder: the daily commute, car full of kids thanks to the 7 seats, plenty of space for my weekly runs to the council dump or holidays, etc, but it is especially good in snowy conditions, which my previous Jaguar really struggled with. I'll probably buy the extended warranty though just in case.

My wife bought a used RR Evoque with about 20k on the clock 18 months ago and again, so far so good.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:40 pm

Whitters wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:23 am
I bought a LR Discovery Sport Diesel new nearly 4 years ago, now has 60k on the clock and has been trouble-free (touch wood). It is a good all-rounder: the daily commute, car full of kids thanks to the 7 seats, plenty of space for my weekly runs to the council dump or holidays, etc, but it is especially good in snowy conditions, which my previous Jaguar really struggled with. I'll probably buy the extended warranty though just in case.

My wife bought a used RR Evoque with about 20k on the clock 18 months ago and again, so far so good.
Handy for that Essex terrain - :thup:

codger

Post by codger » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:06 pm

At 60k your discovery is an absolute youngster and at 20k the evoque is barely run in.
Can't understand your putting these as good examples.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm

I have a 5 year old Zafira, bright red, and intend to drive it until it drops.

I hate to be all penny-pinching Philly Dan (I miss that guy) but f*** throwing money away for a new machine when the old one is fine.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:53 pm

Mega Ron wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm

I hate to be all penny-pinching Philly Dan (I miss that guy) but **** throwing money away for a new machine when the old one is fine.

I dream of owning a 5 year old Zafira - we've got a 10 year old Astra with 128,000 on the clock [ bought it with 59,000 ] - I've been expecting the engine to blow up since we've got it , sounds like a diesel and I stuck in a can of that head gasket stuff over a year ago - but it starts 1st time every time , stops when I press the middle pedal , takes us back and forth every day .

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:13 pm

Mega Ron wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm

I hate to be all penny-pinching Philly Dan (I miss that guy) but **** throwing money away for a new machine when the old one is fine.
Is the best philosophy. :thup: