2nd Hand Car Considerations

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Whitters

Re: 2nd Hand Car Considerations

Post by Whitters » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:40 pm
Handy for that Essex terrain - :thup:
Well, I do live in Switzerland where things are a bit more pointy & snowy so I think it's allowed :) It's also great for carrying passengers and luggage/trash without resorting to a dull as dishwater people carrier.

But to be honest i don't really get the vitriol in some parts to 4x4 cars - my previous saloon car was a lot less efficient fuel wise, was larger, and also suffered terribly in the snow, causing massive tailbacks one rush hour while I struggled to put on snow chains as the wheels were just spinning in about an inch of compact snow, but it never seems to attract the same negative comments or campaigns to get them banned.

Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:02 am

Mega Ron wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm
I have a 5 year old Zafira, bright red, and intend to drive it until it drops.

I hate to be all penny-pinching Philly Dan (I miss that guy) but **** throwing money away for a new machine when the old one is fine.
Never been a big car person myself since I sold my Capri Ghia 2.0L to buy a flat back in 1985, the flat was cheaper than a new car nowdays !!

We brought a new Kia Rio (10yrs old this March), when they did the £2k scrappage scheme (old Fiesta we had !!) cost £7000 for a new car and 7yrs warrenty !

In fact in our family we've always brought our cars 2nd hand 2/3 yrs old other than the Kia !!

We're now looking for our next 10yr motor !! Myabe another Kia, shame the Sportage is so big do like that as we had one on holidays for 3 weeks.

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:03 am

Mega Ron wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm
I have a 5 year old Zafira, bright red, and intend to drive it until it drops.
Based on the Zafira that we had, that should be any minute now.

Was an OK, if really bland and cheaply put together, car for the first 5 years but turned into a money-pit after that - very glad to be able to px it to a dealer at the end, before it died completely. Had many problems: with the engine management going into "limp home" mode, weird issues with the steering, and several other things that escape me at the moment. That was bought from new, so I know it hadn't been thrashed.

Replaced that with a Mazda 6, which we've also had from new, is now 8 years old, and has been absolutely rock solid.
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:08 pm

Whitters wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 am
Well, I do live in Switzerland where things are a bit more pointy & snowy so I think it's allowed :) It's also great for carrying passengers and luggage/trash without resorting to a dull as dishwater people carrier.

But to be honest i don't really get the vitriol in some parts to 4x4 cars - my previous saloon car was a lot less efficient fuel wise, was larger, and also suffered terribly in the snow, causing massive tailbacks one rush hour while I struggled to put on snow chains as the wheels were just spinning in about an inch of compact snow, but it never seems to attract the same negative comments or campaigns to get them banned.
:thup: Vitriol? f***'em!

EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:27 pm

Whitters wrote:

It's because a lot of people drive in them like c****. I'm sure you are a good driver Whitters but a fair number of people seem to think they are invincible when in a 4x4. I've lost count of the amount of reckless driving I have seen in them. I've had to take evasive action on a couple of times when I had right of way and the 4x4 is just hurtling towards me. Can't see past the bastards at junctions either.

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:59 pm
Got a mate with a new RRS and it's been a lemon. Gearbox, Central Locking, electrical issues.

Maybe just a one off. I'm sure some German cars are not as reliable as maybe they should.
If it's a new model like our current one it's a one off, I know plenty with this car and no-one has mentioned issues, there are always a few Friday cars in any model. I have had many German cars (not Audi's, they are the alcohol free beer of cars) and a 325i convertible and 740i both had the same issue with the gear box. In the automatic there is a liquid component that over heated and failed and took the car out of gear (bottom of the M11 in rush hour for the 325) until the liquid cooled. This was caused by the coolant pump not being man enough to serve both the engine and gear box under certain conditions. In the 325i it cost me £1.8k to get fixed, the 740i was under warranty. The cars were manufactured 11 years apart so BMW knew, but just carried on churning out cars that would let you down when very hot and after heavy milage.
As you say, none 100% free of bugs.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:45 pm

Estuary wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
If it's a new model like our current one it's a one off, I know plenty with this car and no-one has mentioned issues, there are always a few Friday cars in any model. I have had many German cars (not Audi's, they are the alcohol free beer of cars)
Speaking of Audis, my in-laws have just bought a new Q3 and I went out in it today as she gave me a lift to the docs - and the thing that really struck me with it is for an expensive car, just how cheap the interior feels. Hard plastics everywhere, on the dash, on the door trims. The least I would have expected would have been soft plastics in those areas, but they're solid.

For a car that starts at over £31k, that's terrible in my opinion. Even my last Renault had the soft feel plastics in the cabin and felt solid, but this Q3 just didn't shout quality to me at all. No doubt it's probably screwed together rather nicely, but it didn't feel like I was sitting in such an expensive car.

alf git

Post by alf git » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:01 pm

I've got a 12 year old diesel Fiesta that has done the thick end of 150000 miles.
I know that's not the point of this thread, but, sometimes it's just blind luck.

Samba

Post by Samba » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:11 am

-DL- wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:45 pm
For a car that starts at over £31k, that's terrible in my opinion. Even my last Renault had the soft feel plastics in the cabin and felt solid, but this Q3 just didn't shout quality to me at all. No doubt it's probably screwed together rather nicely, but it didn't feel like I was sitting in such an expensive car.
Getting as much profit, every way they can.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:14 pm

Whitters wrote:

:D Apologies - thought ' Whitters ' might have been a reference to Witham , mate - me an my big mouth .

I've owned a 4x4 [ a Honda ] and found it an useful tool for climbing our hill in snow when returning home from work at night - they have their place but I've been parked next to some monstrous vehicles on Skye that were obviously more status symbols than useful .

Whitters

Post by Whitters » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:14 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:14 pm
:D Apologies - thought ' Whitters ' might have been a reference to Witham , mate - me an my big mouth .
No problem :)