Getting a cat to take tablets

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Getting a cat to take tablets

Post by vietnammer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:00 am

A cry for help. Cat's got chlamydia. Not fatal but causes uncomfortable eye infection, which isn't so bad after a month of cage- fighting to administer eye-drops. There has been blood (mine). Anyway, vet's given us a course of tablets to give her. Other half seems to have the knack of wrapping it in a snack and it works. This morning, at 5 ****ing am, it fell to me. I tried crushing the pill up in her wet food and bingo she barfed it all up. Can't sod about thawing prawns or disinfecting the kitchen floor as I get ready for work early so wonder if anyone else has a mechanism for getting their moggy to take medicine?

I'm going to be told off later as it is.

(ps, it's a house cat that doesn't go outside. Infection was there when we acquired her)

EDIT: Successfully hid remains of crushed amoxycillin in a slice of hot dog. Had to keep saying 'come on, eat it you ****' but it worked eventually.

Input from others whose lives are ruled by moggies still welcome.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Re: Getting a cat to take tablets

Post by -DL- » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:50 am

I sit on the floor on my knees, get said moggie between my knees and grip it with my thighs with it's head facing away from me, prise it's gob open with a finger each side of its mouth, drop pill in, hold its mouth shut until the b*stard has swallowed it, then run...

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:10 am

^^^ What DL said.

The vet once gave us this implement which looked like this:

It worked on one cat but the other went into bezerker mode whenever we went near it with one of them. They do work, but if your cat has Viking ancestry, try the DL method.

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:36 am

Our cat has just got over a bout of chlamydia. It looked awful for a while, like her eyelids turned inside out, very swollen and sore looking.

She's a big motherbugger, and even though she's fairly acquiescent it was still fun and games. On the vets instructions we wrapped her in a towel, prised her jaws open, dropped the pill as far into her gullet as possible and then massaged under her chin until she swallowed. Worked like a charm unless you let her see the towel first, and then she was off like a shot.

Good luck.

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:37 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:10 am
^^^ What DL said.

The vet once gave us this implement which looked like this:

It worked on one cat but the other went into bezerker mode whenever we went near it with one of them. They do work, but if your cat has Viking ancestry, try the DL method.
Warp's mum's got one of those.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:36 am
Our cat has just got over a bout of chlamydia. It looked awful for a while, like her eyelids turned inside out, very swollen and sore looking.

She's a big motherbugger, and even though she's fairly acquiescent it was still fun and games. On the vets instructions we wrapped her in a towel, prised her jaws open, dropped the pill as far into her gullet as possible and then massaged under her chin until she swallowed. Worked like a charm unless you let her see the towel first, and then she was off like a shot.

Good luck.
Seeing the size of your beast (the cat you filthy animal) I'm surprised the vet didn't suggest armour plate and an asbestos gauntlet

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Post by btajim - mcfc » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55 am

I'd wrap her in a towel and hold her between my legs. I'd force her mouth open and shove the tablet down before massaging her throat until she swallows it. Absolute pain each day.

last.caress
Extreme w*nker
Location: Show no first night nerves; all first serves. All aces, straight home bases.

Post by last.caress » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:04 am

We have to give our cat half a steroid tablet each morning at the moment. The first task there of course is to split this teeny-tiny b*stard of a pill in half without it shattering into forty-thousand pieces of grit. Assuming we achieve that miracle, mrs.caress and I handle the task of administering it to the cat as a two-person job: I hold the cat in my lap and hold the cat's head up, mrs.caress opens the cat's jaws with one hand and flings the half-pill down her throat with the other. It's a bit like hitting that Death Star exhaust port without using the force, though. If it goes even a couple of millimetres to the left or right of the back of her throat, the cat will successfully work the pill to the front of her mouth, whereupon she'll spit it out. Then, once the half-pill is wet, it becomes impossible for mrs.caress to get off of her fingers when trying to fling it for a second time. All the while, the cat wriggles, strains and, if she starts to panic, snaps.

We go through a similar battle risking losing our fingers every time the cat needs her claws cut. The bugger of it is that at any other time, our cat is the gentlest, most personable cat you could wish to meet.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:29 am

Take him to see a DJ at some trendy London event.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:52 am

vietnammer wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:00 am
A cry for help. Cat's got chlamydia. Not fatal but causes uncomfortable eye infection, which isn't so bad after a month of cage- fighting to administer eye-drops. There has been blood (mine). Anyway, vet's given us a course of tablets to give her. Other half seems to have the knack of wrapping it in a snack and it works. This morning, at 5 ****ing am, it fell to me. I tried crushing the pill up in her wet food and bingo she barfed it all up. Can't sod about thawing prawns or disinfecting the kitchen floor as I get ready for work early so wonder if anyone else has a mechanism for getting their moggy to take medicine?

I'm going to be told off later as it is.

(ps, it's a house cat that doesn't go outside. Infection was there when we acquired her)

EDIT: Successfully hid remains of crushed amoxycillin in a slice of hot dog. Had to keep saying 'come on, eat it you ****' but it worked eventually.

Input from others whose lives are ruled by moggies still welcome.
I think by now everyone realises you're not supposed to f*** cats.

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:03 am

btajim - mcfc wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55 am
I'd wrap her in a towel and hold her between my legs. I'd force her mouth open and shove the tablet down before massaging her throat until she swallows it. Absolute pain each day.
....but that's enough about Warp's mum.

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:07 am

Ah, forgot.....Plan B was to grind the tablet into a really fine powder with a pestle and mortar and mix it in with food. Worked really well, but you need to check with the vet if it's ok as some medication doesn't work if you do it this way.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:18 am

When I lived in Basildon, the easiest way for the cat to get it in him was to do the above and grind it in to a fine powder, then give the cat a credit card and rolled up fiver...

ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:55 am

-DL- wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:50 am
I sit on the floor on my knees, get said moggie between my knees and grip it with my thighs with it's head facing away from me, prise it's gob open with a finger each side of its mouth, drop pill in, hold its mouth shut until the b*stard has swallowed it, then run...
Not the first time you had a pussy in that position :lol:

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:14 am

Superb replies here chaps! Only thing about the force-feeding method is what if it goes down the wrong way (the pill) and the cat chokes, specially as it's already in f*** off and leave me alone mode?

There's always GCRO's artificial insemination kit (cos that's what it really is, dunno why he needs that though) if all else fails.

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:17 am

-DL- wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:18 am
When I lived in Basildon, the easiest way for the cat to get it in him was to do the above and grind it in to a fine powder, then give the cat a credit card and rolled up fiver...
:lol:

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:50 am

vietnammer wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:14 am
what if it goes down the wrong way (the pill) and the cat chokes?
Your problem is solved.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:58 am

vietnammer wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:14 am
There's always GCRO's artificial insemination kit
With a boat race like mine, producing one of them makes girls feel a hell of a lot more at ease around me :lol:

sendô

Post by sendô » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Pfft, bunch of amateurs.

The far, far easier thing to do is to catch a mouse using only your bare hands, and then feed the tablet to the mouse using a piece of cheese, and then drop said mouse in front of said cat and let nature take it's course.

Or else otherwise try and make the pill look like a mouse. Whatever.

Samba

Post by Samba » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:16 pm

Cooked chicken thighs with skin on.
Take a little bit of skin, pref with a bit of fat on one side & stick the pill in it.
Cats hate pills but love fatty chicken skin.