West Ham Utd 0 Manchester Utd 1 (08/02/09)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

IronsEnthusiast

Re: West Ham United vs Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by IronsEnthusiast » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Played okay but found their defence a real struggle to break down. Looked as comfy with the ball as them, should have done better with the goal. Probably a pretty poor game for neutrals to watch.

Tom69WHU

Post by Tom69WHU » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Coles on a good run of late but no consistent goal scorers... although it was never gonna be easy against man u's defence
just think we lack a finisher

Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Thought Neil was fantastic in posession and going forward. Not great in defence but he knows he's got Behrami to cover for him.

tugboatpete

Post by tugboatpete » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:09 pm

mi chele was quiet----why wont he play tristan down the middle with cole???????????

m-h

Post by m-h » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:10 pm

but Noble was fouled in the possession turnover that led to giggs getting possession. will never get those calls unless you top 4,5 team. Which Irons can be, as long as we all stand behind them, as we always have. Zola/clarke are the difference and still bringing the youngsters in. no wonder why cfc having problems, aged squad, and no Academy !!. Collison on his way to Peterboro until zola stepped in. We still have FA cup and Euroland in reach. Havn't honestly seen ammer performances like this for long time. But thats why we stick around loving West Ham !!.

Tom69WHU

Post by Tom69WHU » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Memorial Ground wrote:Thought Neil was fantastic in posession and going forward. Not great in defence but he knows he's got Behrami to cover for him.
True but defence is where he plays so i would of thought that should be his strong points. Also Behrami could last another couple of days on that pitch if he didnt spend so much time covering Neills arse.

SenzaPaura

Post by SenzaPaura » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Hammer Tom wrote: Maybe but he stayed on his feet and instead of complaining could of got on with it. To be honest I am struggling to see anything that he is very good at. I think he has stagnated with us and if we could get some decent money for him I would take it.
Jesus Christ not this again. We are truly blessed to have fans like you. Sell Noble. And in 2 seasons chuck out Collison too if he isn't one of the best midfielders in the league.

I really don't believe that even now, during a run of form where we look to have our best midfield groupings in decades, we have the same old people wanting to sell our youngsters at the drop of a hat if they aren't world class by 21.

claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.

Post by claret parrot » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:12 pm

I've no complaints about the result. I thought it had that 0-1 look about it from the early stages and the last time I felt that was at home to Villa this season. They are afterall one of the very best club sides in the world and we looked well capable of giving them an argument. We were by no means disgraced and with luck we could have had a point. I've thought for some time that we have a tendency to give away corners far too cheaply. This hasn't changed but we do seem to deal with them far better than .... I can't actually remember the last time I felt so relatively secure having conceded a corner.

Our season is never going to be dependent on picking up points against the likes of Man U. It's a pity though that we are not now having the kind of run of fixtures against the lesser teams that we had early is the season because I would fancy us to turn a lot of those disappointing results into comfortable wins given how our team is performing now. A European place is not an unrealistic target for next season provided we perform as well in the next transfer window as we did in this.

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...

Post by EvilC » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Tom69WHU wrote:Shame we didnt get that Bryce moon actually he'd definitely take Neills place in my team especially against Ronaldo aswell
How often have you seen him play?

Tom69WHU

Post by Tom69WHU » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:15 pm

tugboatpete wrote:mi chele was quiet----why wont he play tristan down the middle with cole???????????
Something i wonder about aswell

Hammer Tom

Post by Hammer Tom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:16 pm

[/quote]Jesus Christ not this again. We are truly blessed to have fans like you. Sell Noble. And in 2 seasons chuck out Collison too if he isn't one of the best midfielders in the league.

I really don't believe that even now, during a run of form where we look to have our best midfield groupings in decades, we have the same old people wanting to sell our youngsters at the drop of a hat if they aren't world class by 21.[/quote]

I dont expect him to be world class just to have improved an ounce in the 2 years since they've broken through.

West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington

Post by West Ham Matt » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Played ok, draw would have been fair, Savio looks **** to be fair.

Tom69WHU

Post by Tom69WHU » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:17 pm

EvilC wrote: How often have you seen him play?
iF im being honest never but he sounded good with a nickname of scooter.

double D

Post by double D » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:17 pm

Hammer Tom wrote:We were deserving of a point.

However Mark Noble is an absolute liability. He was giving scholes all the time in the world to pick out his pass throughout the match. Also for the their goal instead of pussying around on the edge of the area he should of got the f***ing ball clear. I really do not rate him and has not improved at all since the year we nearly went down.

You must be a ****ing dancing on ice judge :wink:

SenzaPaura

Post by SenzaPaura » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Hammer Tom wrote:
Jesus Christ not this again. We are truly blessed to have fans like you. Sell Noble. And in 2 seasons chuck out Collison too if he isn't one of the best midfielders in the league.

I really don't believe that even now, during a run of form where we look to have our best midfield groupings in decades, we have the same old people wanting to sell our youngsters at the drop of a hat if they aren't world class by 21.[/quote]

I dont expect him to be world class just to have improved an ounce in the 2 years since they've broken through.[/quote]Noble was excellent in that season we stayed up, sometimes it's hard to keep improving season-on-season. It doesn't mean we should write him off!

Hammer Tom

Post by Hammer Tom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:19 pm

double D wrote:
You must be a f***ing dancing on ice judge :wink:
Noble was not closing him down at all, just wondering about like the thick **** that he is.

Lord Hampton of wick

Post by Lord Hampton of wick » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:21 pm

claret parrot wrote:I've no complaints about the result. I thought it had that 0-1 look about it from the early stages and the last time I felt that was at home to Villa this season. They are afterall one of the very best club sides in the world and we looked well capable of giving them an argument. We were by no means disgraced and with luck we could have had a point. I've thought for some time that we have a tendency to give away corners far too cheaply. This hasn't changed but we do seem to deal with them far better than .... I can't actually remember the last time I felt so relatively secure having conceded a corner.

Our season is never going to be dependent on picking up points against the likes of Man U. It's a pity though that we are not now having the kind of run of fixtures against the lesser teams that we had early is the season because I would fancy us to turn a lot of those disappointing results into comfortable wins given how our team is performing now. A European place is not an unrealistic target for next season provided we perform as well in the next transfer window as we did in this.
Superb post !! Not disgraced by a side that is possibly on its way to another Premier and Champions league title. Some on here need to remember how far we've come .

m-h

Post by m-h » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Maybe but he stayed on his feet and instead of complaining could of got on with it. To be honest I am struggling to see anything that he is very good at. I think he has stagnated with us and if we could get some decent money for him I would take it.[/quote]Jesus Christ not this again. We are truly blessed to have fans like you. Sell Noble. And in 2 seasons chuck out Collison too if he isn't one of the best midfielders in the league.

thank you. All of us who have been iron stead over the years know what it means to keep our youngsters. suggest Hammer Tom ?
look at noble in U21's under Stuart Pierce and see what he does. England will have midfielders of 30+ yrs after 2010, is that the future. IMO we starting to see something special develop in the East End with out the money. Thats all down to the coaching and belief. some credit to Curbs though, as he did get Upson, Neil, Parker in and gave starts to Noble and Sears. Think Sears could actually be close to stepping in for DMM.

kthammer

Post by kthammer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:23 pm

I thought we did really well. We looked solid at the back and very competitive in the middle and Carlton kept the best two centre backs in the league occupied. We could have scored and never looked like getting spanked. What we lacked was pace on the break. I am afraid we missed Bellamy... DDM is artful but he's too easily knocked off the ball around the box. We kind of needed Sears not Tristan at the end for pace. But roll on the rest of the season, we are looking in good shape.

speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:24 pm

I thought for long periods we played the better football.

All in all a great performance deserving of a point. However, Carlton Cole dived in and totally sold himself giving Giggs a run at goal, the next defender he comes up against Parker does a Swan Lake in mid air giving Giggs a clear shot on goal. A little bit more brain in gear when defending and we would have got a point, but for long periods we had the measure of Man U - so I see us ripping into Boro next Saturday.