West Ham Utd 3 Hull City 0 (20/02/10)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Hull City: match thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

This win also puts us two games clear of the drop zone.

A Man On The Telly pointed out that this was our fourth consecutive home clean sheet, equalling our Prem record :thup:

It was obvious that the team are playing with confidence; Diamanti's effort from his own half, Faubert's through ball for the second goal, his run and shot for the third. CC not snatching at his goal, but taking his time and making sure instead. All this and more show the newfound belief the whole team has in itself.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1036 likes

Post by stu1 »

East6 wrote:I hope Cole wont be out for too long please god!!
Since when was he injured?
East6

Post by East6 »

he came off with a groin niggle
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

My main feeling is relief

Truth is we shouldn't be near the bottom 3 with the players we have - closer to Fulham, Birmingham position. We've given away some stupid points this year - eg Fulham, Hull (a), Sunderland (a) and Burnley (a).

Looks like Faubert was as good as Curbishley hoped - certainly if he keeos playing like this he'll be a real asset

Big win this though. Hopefully we can use the home games to pull away now.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Great result, very good performance; still played well within themselves; job done.

The ball by Faubert for Cole's goal was as good as it gets; sublime...superb skill. Was my MOTM :thup: He gets better; fully expect to see him make the French squad on this form.
Pez.

Post by Pez. »

Zola Out!

Sorry! wrong thread... :lol:
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

Just got back, good performance today, 3 points well deserved.
How bad are Hull though, truly all round poor team.
Anyway, if we maintain our home form we will stay up, simple as that.
:raver: :raver:
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Pez. wrote:Zola Out!

Sorry! wrong thread... :lol:
:lol:

I wouldn't say this was a classic performance..or a good one either. But, and this is the crucial thing, we got the result we needed.

OK, Diamanti got MOTM but for me it was Faubert. You will go a long, long way to see a better through ball than the one he threaded through for CC's goal. And as for his determination...

My mate and I were saying half way through the first half that he would score...and score he did. Superb. So pleased for the fella.

If only we could cut out the silly and sloppy passing (for large parts of the 1st half and the beginning of the 2nd we just gave the ball away cheaply).

I worry about Tomkins. Really bad control on a number of occasions today.

But all in all, I'm satisfied with the result.

Now lads...go out there and get a result in memory of Mooro on tuesday. What better way to remember the great man on the eve of the anniversary of his death by getting something at OT! COYI!!!
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Job done. Hull are a **** side. They just tried kicking our players off the park. The ref was ****, he booked Parker for one foul and let Boateng get away with about five.

Great goals, i thought Faubert was best player on the pitch. Hes really grown in confidence, good to see.
polar
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by polar »

good result and an ok performance.

after a good start we allowed Hull into the game in the first half and near the end of the half we were hanging on. Green pulled off a fantastic save from Boetang.

After the second goal and the sending off the contest was effectively over, even more so when they went down to 9.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

How thoughtless to announce the sponsored man of the match with 10 minutes to go...

Denied Faubert a morale booster.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

The midfield is still a dilemna..we need Kovaks energy and strength, but do miss Mark Nobles ability to pick out a decent pass.

Novak is the answer!
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

A fantastic win, and a great boost for the team.

Just what we all needed... :crest:
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Faubert did well

tomkins is a worry
thought franco faded badly and his hold up play was below average

great result hull are poor
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Must be getting old, I remember the CFC days.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Post by delbert »

irving boleyn wrote:The midfield is still a dilemna..we need Kovaks energy and strength, but do miss Mark Nobles ability to pick out a decent pass.

Novak is the answer!
:lol: Behave.....
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

I had West Ham 2-0 Cole last scorer at 22/1

Faubert out!!!
Ironsironsirons

Post by Ironsironsirons »

Been a while since I felt like this and couldn't wait for MOTD mainly for that 60 yard effort! Diamanti and Faubert were superb. Parker and Behrami quietly efficient and Cole is so important to us he seemed off the pace towards the end and then gets his goal showing his quality. Franco just seems to be a football genius and his footballing brain is one step ahead of most defenders and his passion was clear when he came off great to see him back and him and Cole as a first choice up top with diamanti and faubert supplying them with Ilan, Mido and Mccarthey ready to step up when needed- Happy Days until Old Trafford but even then..... maybe.... just maybe COYI :crest:
jjwred7

Post by jjwred7 »

Just watched Zola's post match interview, cute to see his comments about Diamanti...lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 520505.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MacGill

Post by MacGill »

Scintilating display from Zola's Hammers. I wonder how David Sullivan will take the credit for the incredible performance this week?

3 points in the bag, confidence on the rise and the team playing a brand of pressure, passing football only seen by Barcelona. It is important to put this result into perspective though, it was achieved without a fully fit Guillermo Franco, without Luis Boa Morte, without Herita Ilunga, without Kieran Dyer and without the likes of Noble and Collison starting too. The improvement in some of the players since Zola has taken over is quite remarkable. Scott Parker, Carlton Cole, Julien Faubert, Radoslav Kovac and Jonathan Spector are playing at a level previously thought unobtainable by the core of the West Ham fan-base.

The improvement in the defence has also been noticeable. No goals shipped at home for 389 minutes and no goals conceded from open play at home in the last 468 minutes of football. After the home defensive debacles against Burnley and Manchester United, the team have responded to the criticism and sharpened up, particularly at full back and the form of James Tomkins has picked up as well. Steve Clarke deserves great credit for re-building the West Ham defence for the 2nd season running, he is certainly earning every single penny of his £1,200,000 salary. With this solid foundation, the club could push on big time.

West Ham United Player Ratings Against Hull City:-
Green - 8.5 - Sensational save to deny Boateng and commanding in his area, always willing to leave his line. Improving.

Faubert - 10 - World class. Like watching Maicon when Faubert is in this mood. He could be anything, as they say. MOTM.
Tomkins - 9 - Commanding. Won everything in the air and looked totally untroubled. No goals shipped in 389 minutes at home.
Upson - 9 - Impressive, aside from 1 horrid error against Altidore, from which he recovered well. Improving like Green.
Spector - 8 - Solid, reliable, committed. Just what you need from your reserve full back or should that be 1st choice?

Behrami - 9 - Could have had a hat-trick after the 1st 30 minutes or so and it's good to see him in the right areas for once.
Parker - 6 - Game slipped him by really and he allowed Boateng to get by him too easily in the 1st half. Far from his best.
Kovac - 7 - Excellent in the 1st half and his crunching tackle set-up the 1st goal. Back to the form of last year, like up at Stoke.
Diamanti - 8 - A maverick. An enigma. A show pony. A mad-man. A genius signing by Gianluca Nani. Credit where it's due.

Cole - 9 - Scored in 16 of his last 27 league starts. Remarkable in anyone's book. The most consistent forward in the world?
Franco - 7 - Looked a bit short of fitness, but set up the 1st goal and matched Hull's physical approach. Cole's best partner!

SUBS:
Ilan - 4 - Useless. Too slow, too slow, too slow. Terrible signing.
Mido - 5 - I admire his enthusiasm, but he is a shadow of the guy who arrived on the scene at Tottenham.
Collison - n/a - On late to give him some much needed minutes and to rest Diamanti.