Crystal Palace 2 v West Ham Utd 2 (01/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Crystal Palace FC v West Ham United - match thread

Post by RyanWHUFC »

joyful wrote:Booing at an away game.
I know, bad darts :thdn:
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I did not go, gave my ticket to a friend who has been over in the country for a few years, so my opinions are from reading
reports and seeing the snippets on tv and the pissed up ramblings from my son on the phone yesterday.
According to the stats we had more posession , so that means we must have kept the ball well for periods, we had 7 corners to none for them, we had more shots than them, they scored from route one fooball but according to some ,they were better.
I will have a better chat with my son later so it might become clearer.
tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tjr008 »

Can I ask what the boos were about? The result? And when were they?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

joyful wrote:Booing at an away game. Headbanger
Not our finest hour , but a reflection of how - judging by the volume of the booing - our travelling support thought we were playing at the time .

Whilst Carlton bore the brunt on the face of it , my personal opinion it was more at the system we were playing .

Carlton was totally isolated for much of his time on the pitch , and on at least one occasion had 5 Palace players nearer him as he received the ball with his back to goal, than a single West Ham player .

Two minutes after the booing, Sam brought on Carew and Baldock .

Lucky for Carew .
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Totally agree PP. Carew was excellent when he come on, no doubt, but also had Baldock making runs off of him. Cole had no support whatsoever and im not quite sure what Allardyce expected to Cole to do.

Cole was getting a fair share of the boos which was embarrasing to see, but there were also boos at the way the team were playing, mainly the long ball tactics i would have thought..
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

Romford wrote:Anyone else think that Green would have saved their 2nd ?
I hope Almunia will have put his mistakes behind him and be more focused... however, having not played competitively since April 2, I'd expect there to be some rustiness to shake off, unfortunately. Not a howler by any stretch though of course.

I keep thinking Allardyce is making Cole look bad... It used to be Carlton making himself look bad, but now he just looks so isolated up there on his own. He needs to have Baldock on the pitch with him (or an Argentinian loanee :wink:).
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Romford wrote:Jack needs games....I was wrong about him.

Many believe Lansbury has been promised a place....not just Pinky.

Felt very sorry for Cole...mugs booing him should try playing as isolated as he has to.

First half we played well without really working their keeper...2nd half we were poor.

Palace had 2 shots on goal...and can count themselves lucky.

Anyone else think that Green would have saved their 2nd ?
I don't think the problem with Jack has ever been his ability just his fitness. He isn't a ball winner but he can play the ball well when he has it!

Don't agree with Booing my team! or its players having a go is different but that's because of frustration!

Romford with regards to the second goal I wanted to see it on TV but I seem to remember a goal very similar scored against Green by Arsenal right in the corner. So I think Green might not of saved that one either! Our defence were at fault for the 2 goals the positioning was awful!
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

I went in the Albion after the game it said regulars only on the door hahaha

Had a quick drink even talking about West Ham in the beer garden not causing aggro of course and then went on my way home.

I first tried the Wetherspoons and was told to move on!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

joyful wrote:Booing at an away game. Headbanger
It wasn't the usual away crowd...you could see that.

Felt very sorry for Carlton...
joyful

Post by joyful »

It wasn't the usual away crowd...you could see that.
but it didn't reach general sale did it? I was just angry because had persuaded the other half to come with me, assuring him that our away crowds were different, far more positive than at the Boleyn these days.

My only comment on the game, cos I couldn't see most of it from where I was (row 10, block S) is that I can run faster than Bentley and I'm 53 with arthritis.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

The booing was/is pathetic. I thought going down would eradicate the dickhead fans. Far too many about.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

joyful wrote:and I'm 53 with arthritis.
Maybe Joy , but you never lose it ...... :thup:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

joyful wrote:
but it didn't reach general sale did it? I was just angry because had persuaded the other half to come with me, assuring him that our away crowds were different, far more positive than at the Boleyn these days.

My only comment on the game, cos I couldn't see most of it from where I was (row 10, block S) is that I can run faster than Bentley and I'm 53 with arthritis.
A Bloke in a WW2 diving suit raced past Bentley in the 2nd half :lol:

You are right...there is usually a totally different crowd at away games but because of how local the game was seemed to get everyone going.

I had a row with some Grandad who kept shouting "Boot it up there" everytime the defence got the ball.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

stubbsy07 wrote:The booing was/is pathetic. I thought going down would eradicate the dickhead fans. Far too many about.
I understand people being annoyed at the boring tactics and lack of players attacking but you must also respect the oppo which i think is much of the problem.

Everyone seems to think we should win every game...and thats arrogance.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:
Maybe Joy , but you never lose it ......
Im sure there are tablets out there that help though... 8-)
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

All to easy to focus on the negatives of our support. Great numbers to watch a team that has been poor for a number of seasons,.

The booing was more a a grumble at the fare on offer. Many around me were longing for us to keep possession which is kind of the point of football...and quite obviously the way to overcome a limited home side.

When we picked up, the boos turned to encouragement, praise and cheers. Our first goal came from a succession of passes then good delivery, the second from a well worked opening for a cross. The needless high balls to an isolated CC were not going to win that game and the fans could see that.

Sam changed the strikeforce and we saw progress. It wasn't difficult to see what needed to be done and eventually he did it.

It's slim pickings for us at the moment. There are arguably no players in that squad that will enter our 'hall of fame' yet we continue to sing the names of Faubert, Nolan and Cole. I'd say we deserve a pat on the back...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I agree....but there are too many out there these days that are just expecting a result
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Romford wrote: Everyone seems to think we should win every game...and thats arrogance.
Nail on the head Romford. I get ahead of myself sometimes but at the end of the day, it is still just 11 thickos versus 11 thickos at the end of the day.

Many of the top tier would also struggle in this league, such is the closeness in ability between the leagues nowadays (barring the power 5).
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

He wants to come home :lol:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Romford wrote:I agree....but there are too many out there these days that are just expecting a result

Is definately part of the problem, in fact at home its a big part of the problem IMO.