Crystal Palace 2 v West Ham Utd 2 (01/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Re: Crystal Palace FC v West Ham United - match thread

Post by The Rebirth »

Romford wrote:I agree....but there are too many out there these days that are just expecting a result
Romford that I have to agree with a bloke in the pub at the end of the game was like 'you don't expect us to win the league!' he was baffled when I said no!

One question I have to ask though is does Carlos Tevez actually want to come home? I mean we must of sung it a hundred times!
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

The Rebirth wrote:One question I have to ask though is does Carlos Tevez actually want to come home? I mean we must of sung it a hundred times!
Of course he does.

Trouble is home to him is Buenos Aires.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Had he seen you scoff those jellied eels last night...he'd want to come here 8-)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote:I agree....but there are too many out there these days that are just expecting a result
Thought we bossed the second half of the first half yesterday - playing some decent stuff .

The first half of the second half was hard to watch - and yes, Palace were very adept at stopping us playing by then .

I've said before about our home form , nobody has yet parked the bus , but I expect Leicester to do just that when they come along .

Four draws on their travels this season , they'll come for a point , let's see if we see a different line up then .
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I think Papa Wardrobe Diop is a likely feature of our midfield, after his display for the 90 at Selhurst. Noble's place might be in jeopardy.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

prophet:marginal wrote:I think Papa Wardrobe Diop is a likely feature of our midfield, after his display for the 90 at Selhurst. Noble's place might be in jeopardy.
Rightly so in my opinion. Diop is a much better defensive midfielder than Noble, it's natural too him. Noble isn't disciplined enough and isn't good enough in the tackle. Having said that, Noble hasn't provided one assist either this season. I think he will be on the bench for the visit of Blackpool.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

prophet:marginal wrote:I think Papa Wardrobe Diop is a likely feature of our midfield, after his display for the 90 at Selhurst. Noble's place might be in jeopardy.
That's fair enough; he should be made to compete for his place - after a decent start to the season, he's lost it a bit. Jack Collison is in a similar situation; both need to up their games.

I may be wrong, but every likely permutation of the team in it, with both Wardrobe and Nolan, suggests a lone front man - with the repeated issues of insufficient support.

Team's crying out for some lengthy Baldock pitch time, imo.
TheGavnor
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by TheGavnor »

prophet:marginal wrote:Team's crying out for some lengthy Baldock pitch time, imo.
:thup:

Yesterday when he came on he was chasing everything down, putting himself about and was making a nuisance of himself to the Palace defenders. He offers something different up top that we need very desperately at the moment.

Ok, it didn't work against Ipswich, but to be fair to him in that game we were still lobbing in long balls when he was crying out for some time on the ball.
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

prophet:marginal wrote:I may be wrong, but every likely permutation of the team in it, with both Wardrobe and Nolan, suggests a lone front man - with the repeated issues of insufficient support.

No I actually think Diop means we can play 4-4-2 in a diamond formation utilising our full backs (demel/faubert) and Macca

We played that way when Baldock and Carew were on Palace defended quite narrowly and Linda got forward a lot more.

We could use Bentley, Lansbury, Collison or Noble in the 2 in the middle slot. Nolan tracks back anyway.
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

Romford wrote:Had he seen you scoff those jellied eels last night...he'd want to come here 8-)
Of course - in fact if Messi knew about jellied eels he'd ditch Barcelona like a shot. I'm surprised that we don't stick it in player contracts!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Proph

I agree Diop shored us up yesterday , and Noble may be under threat .

An option for Sam could be

------------------------------------------------Green-------------------------------------------

JoB---------------------Faye------------------Tomkins----------------McCartney

-------------------------------------------Diop-------------------------------------------------

Faubert------------Nolan--------------------------Noble--------------------Taylor

----------------------------------------Cole-----------------------------------------------

With Nolan getting forward to support Cole , safe in the knowledge that Diop will cover the defence - which has not been Nobles purpose either .

Game changers off the bench to go to 4-4-2 could be Baldock, Carew, Reid, Lansbury / Bentley , with Noble and Cole going off for Cole and Noble .
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

prophet:marginal wrote:I may be wrong, but every likely permutation of the team in it, with both Wardrobe and Nolan, suggests a lone front man - with the repeated issues of insufficient support.

Spot on, we do...which is what we saw when Sam switched it and went 442.
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

the pink palermo wrote:Proph

I agree Diop shored us up yesterday , and Noble may be under threat .

An option for Sam could be

------------------------------------------------Green-------------------------------------------

JoB---------------------Faye------------------Tomkins----------------McCartney

-------------------------------------------Diop-------------------------------------------------

Faubert------------Nolan--------------------------Noble--------------------Taylor

----------------------------------------Cole-----------------------------------------------

With Nolan getting forward to support Cole , safe in the knowledge that Diop will cover the defence - which has not been Nobles purpose either .

Game changers off the bench to go to 4-4-2 could be Baldock, Carew, Reid, Lansbury / Bentley , with Noble and Cole going off for Cole and Noble .
I think Collison when fitter for Taylor and Noble for Baldock plus I seem to think that Faubert prefers RB but I reckon Demel will be our wide man on the right.

the pink palermo wrote: Game changers off the bench to go to 4-4-2 could be Baldock, Carew, Reid, Lansbury / Bentley , with Noble and Cole going off for Cole and Noble .
That's either a plan so cunning that other teams would be dumb-struck, or

You're pissed.

:D
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

prophet:marginal wrote: You're pissed.

:D
b*llocks - it was a typo , I meant cole off and Carew on - as you well know, just checking to see if you were paying attention .... .

Smileything .

yoursyntaxed.com
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I think our biggest problem at the moment is getting players forward....we just don't push players up enough.

Watching Chelsea earlier...every time they scored they had half a dozen bods in the box.

Apart from set pieces...when do we EVER have even 3 players up that far.

Its boring, its cowardly and most seriously...its not bloody working Headbanger
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

A slight glimmer of hope..the defensive qualities of Dioup allowing the full backs to bomb, well perhaps not bomb, get forward more.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Romford wrote: Its boring, its cowardly and most seriously...its not bloody working
Where were you 3 hours ago ? :lol:

I think Sam does not yet know his best team - the price we pay for late additions in the transfer window .

I think he may risk getting a few more forward with Diop as a DM.