West Ham Utd 1 Southampton 1 (14/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by Dan1326 »

the pink palermo wrote:Spare a thought for Jack Collison who was subbed following Taylors rightful dismissal .The fact Sharpe made more than a meal of it isn't the point, the reality is Taylor got involved in something he shouldn't have,and not only did he forfeit the right to play he cost his team mate, currently struggling for confidence , the right to as well .

The ref though, had a shocker .
Surely then, Sharpe should have gone for going in on Noble?

Applying the same rules and all that.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Worst refereeing display i've seen at the Boleyn for some time. If only refs could be fined for shocking performances like that, or even better, shot! :twisted:
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Muddy wrote:Worst refereeing display i've seen at the Boleyn for some time. If only refs could be fined for shocking performances like that, or even better, shot! :twisted:

if that was my son's u17 team i'd have taken them off at last time and wait for the FA to have a review and play the game again. So. Many Basic things he got wrong...let down by his lino's ( as usual) as wel tho..
Spoilt what could have been a cracking game
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Proper disgusted about that. You can say Taylor was stupid, inexcusable blah blah blah blah but them sort of pushes happen multiple times EVERY game, infact Sharp done one on Noble moments earlier, just not everyone decides to fall over and roll around after it.

Does it make it a sending off because he fell over?? No.

To see the **** ref smiling and laughing to himself when we were singing 'who's the ****er in the black' summed it up for me
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Anyone got a link to a video of the sending off incident, coz i still think Taylor didn't touch Sharp?
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Just got back. Kudos for the fans that held the 2238 at Stratford for us, whilst us slow coaches Usain Bolted across Stratford :thup:

A good point in the end. Very disapointed with Southampton, diving and falling over whenever we got near them. We moan about the way that SA sets us up but at least we are honest and don't resort to cheating to wins. The assistant was well and truly duped by the Southampton playing making a meal out of the shove but Taylor should have known better and unfortunatly in these times if you raise your hand you are asking to be sent off.

I do wonder if Nolan had been playing if he would have calmed Tayler down before the shove. That said Noble, once again, played a blinder as did Green and the rest of the team. Still not sure if it was a penalty though, would have to see it again.

As much as SA gets **** on here I thought his tactics were spot on and the sub after the sending off was pure genius, it's nice to see us employing a manager who sort of knows what he is doing. Very much a 'respect the point' game with ten men. A year ago we would have thrown that game but Southampton were panicing towards the end.

Well done West Ham.

Well done Sam Allardyce.

Taylor, you should have known better, but we all make mistakes.

Southampton and the Officials, hang your heads in shame, together you managed to ruin what would have been a great game of football.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Heysel76 wrote:Anyone got a link to a video of the sending off incident, coz i still think Taylor didn't touch Sharp?
Don't even think Sky got it...
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

It's not a red card if he hasn't touched his face PP. It's a booking, and Sharp got him sent off. Sharp himself should've gone for countless dives etc.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:
To see the **** ref smiling and laughing to himself when we were singing 'who's the ****** in the black' summed it up for me
Ref was loving it,
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Magnificent stuff.
Yes the ref could've given two more penalties to us (handball and the goalkeeper's charge) but Taylor was rightfully sent off.
Great performance throughout the team before and after that incident. O'Brien and George were excellent, Faye was a bit slow at times but overall great defence.
Greeny worked the usual miracles and was very safe on crosses - although I thought Soton's shooting was v weak.
Great midfield performance - if Julien could add consistency to his work rate we'd have won by 3-1.
Noble was man of the match with Tomkins outstanding, too (though he is NOT a midfielder).
Carlton looked a bit slow but worked hard.
I was disappointed in Soton - v well organised and good level of technique but they never really took advantage and before the sending off they looked intimidated - their keeper and central defence is vulnerable. They are also cheating bast*rds.
Sharp is slow fat fecker - prefer Baldock or Maynard myself.
Thought Vaz Te worked hard till he got a knock and Maynard showed that he's no sole target man but has a real eye for creating chances.
I think that game told the rest of the division that they can all feck off, this is OUR championship.
saint_ed

Post by saint_ed »

For those who hate Southampton with a passion, and there appears to be a few here, I guess would not be best to read on, but just thought I'd post my opinion on the game, being Saints fan, as I did after the last game.

First 20 minutes, up until the pen, you were clearly the better side. Passed the ball well, far better than you did at our gaff, and created a couple of very good chances. Caused us problems especially out wide, with Vaz Te looking very lively. I'm pretty sure you would have gone on to win if it had remained 11 v 11, although is hard to predict how Saints would have reacted.

The penalty is not easy to comment on as I was at the other end. Have heard commentary saying Noble was looking for it, whilst others say it was clear cut. So will reserve judgement there, although having had two earlier shouts, the law of averages suggests one was correct.

The sending off was again hard to tell, although it would appear Taylor hit Sharp who overreacted. Although I don't like players that dive, I would have been annoyed if Sharp had stood there, 'took it like a man', and Taylor had got away with a warning for a sending off offence. Ultimately, Taylor was probably in the wrong for getting involved.

After the sending off, thought West Ham played it fairly well. Saints were obviously going to get chances, and Green made some great stops. Although we had a lot of possession and efforts on goal, West Ham still looked an occasional threat on the break. Maynard has caused us so many problems twice this year, surprised he didn't come on earlier. Again certainly less hoof ball than there was down at St Mary's, and you looked better for it.

Although I'm biased, would have said the equaliser was certainly fair. We had some decent chances, and I thought Lallana really started to come into his own when against 10.

A draw was probably about right (and one that both sides will, and probably should be content with).

Thought Faye was immense at the back, and although Lambert assisted the goal, he was kept under wraps largely. Noble was superb in the middle of the park, while Vaz Te looked lively. I know Nolan is not loved on here, but it didn't really look like you missed him much, Noble seemed to dominate and take control.

Really can't see how you'll slip up enough for two sides to catch you and overtake you and as a result I think you'll end up top. Second place is a lottery. Saints have played Cardiff, Brum and yourselves twice, and seem to have an ok-ish run in. But it looks as though maybe one from Reading, Brum, Cardiff, Blackpool and Saints. Going to be very tight for the play-offs too.

Good luck and all that
TheAlmightyAmmer

Yes the ref could've given two more penalties to us (handball and the goalkeeper's charge) but Taylor was rightfully sent off.
This is what I can't work out? A push to the chest is a booking, you see them every game but they rarely even get punished

Does it make it a sending off because he rolled around a bit?

Does it?
Ironsn3lions

Post by Ironsn3lions »

[
From my position right next to the incident, i honestly don't think Taylor touched him[/quote]
Any idea what made Taylor react like he did? I just saw Sharp go over like a sack of spuds!!
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Saint_ed, thanks for your thoughts.

Your lot really disapointed me tonight, I had a load of respect for Southampton and before tonight would have liked you guys to have been promoted with us. However, you are this season's Birmingham to me. I thought your players were a disgrace tonight (To be honest, you looked a lot like us the last time we were in the championship, petulant, when things weren't going your way).

I honestly think your players believed they only had to turn up and they would have won. You finished by far the more desperate side than us and your players play acting ruined a good game off football. Taylor should have known better though.

Best of luck for the rest of the season but I really hope tonight was a one off and your team and your players attitude isn't always like that, especially as all I've heard from Southampton fans all week is how West Ham play **** football.
Trevor Montana

Post by Trevor Montana »

Probert's on facebook :lol: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002931000400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

No need to push the other player, we'd got the pen and Taylor should have walked away waited until Nobes banged it home walked passed Sharp and said to him '1-0 you fat northern b*stard'
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Whats up with teams playing "good" football and always having to dive or cheat the game in other ways?
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Trevor Montana wrote:Probert's on facebook :lol: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002931000400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
was
GJE

Post by GJE »

Saint Ed I think that's a pretty fair summing up, the sending off sort of evened it up whether we would have continued the way we started is another matter even if Taylor had not had the rush of blood to the head. I was in the East Stand so a long way from the incident but it looked a pretty clear cut red card and he looked to have lost it which is a bit unlike Matty Taylor.

Again I was a long way from the incident where the keeper flattened Cole and appeared to handle well outside the area for me it looked another clear Red but I was beginning to get the hump with the Ref by this stage!!

In the end happy with the point but would have preferred to see the game played out with either 11 v 11 or 10 v 10 and I think we would likely have edged it.

Anyway proud of the boys tonight as they put in a real shift in difficult circumstances. Expected a little more football from Soton especially with a man advantage.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

We had the measure of them at 11aside...Taylor needs to look himself in the mirror long and hard.

Disappointed to concede from a setpiece but worthy of a draw with ten men, we are still the team to beat in this league :thup: