West Ham Utd 1 Southampton 1 (14/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bobby Orangeboom

Re: West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

61dicksey wrote:We have always loved a trier at West ham and Julien is no different, hehas put in some effort this season and being played in midfield in his preferred position has made him a better player. If he could learn to put in a decent cross he would be worth hanging on to.
His pace is his biggest attribute we just need him to get past his man and deliver.
I may be wrong but he'll never " learn " to put in consistent accurate crosses at this stage of his career.

He can whip in a demon, killer ball, but it's juts FAR too inconsistent especially this level where he can get away with it more as we don't get punished as much when we give the ball away, but next season if we go up is a different matter entirely.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

I thought their fans were dreadful to be honest, embarrassing when they were singing 'we forgot that you were here' and 'you're not singing anymore' after having been quiet the whole match
Last edited by TheAlmightyAmmer on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

His issue is he runs with his head down then hits a first time ball. His body shape is all wrong.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Georgee Paris wrote:This might be read as a little bit knee jerk but I definitely think West Ham are clicking into some sort of gear now. I know this isn't music to the anti Sam brigade which I am also a fully paid up member but before the sending off we looked pretty ******* good. The last two West Ham performances have been 100% why I buy a season ticket. I have been thoroughly entertained and loved the performances. Well done Sam and well done West Ham - good to see some pride back at the club. There is definitely something about West Ham. Noble is getting a bit of a swagger and I saw a bit of gusto about our play too. MORE PLEASE :thup:
I agree. It's in adversity that you discover what players are made of. We have responded with huge resilience, professionalism and some quality to two very high pressure matches where we have both lost players to red cards and then lost crucial goals. I think we have assembled a team that now has some balance and variety as well as strength and technique. I know they are not good enough for the Premiership but they now look like they want to push on and win this blo*dy league. It's a real problem that we'll be without Nolan and Taylor but I still think Blackpool and Palace might find themselves in the path of a form team starting to play football with confidence.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Kitt the car wrote:I don't think we hoofed it once, it was a clearance...dicks.
Funny you should mention the hoof thing as if you can get hold of a copy of last nights game I think you'll find it was in fact Southampton that started hoofing the ball first. We mentioned it last night as it happened.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

lukeWHU wrote:Only had a quick flick through the comments, but not seen much praise for Vaz Te, who I thought played extremely well. Has much more quality on the ball than Faubert going forward. Maynard looked lively when he came on too. Look to be two good signings.
Agreed - I thought the pair were excellent. Maynard in particular managed to get himself into a game being played at full pelt and imposed himself very well.
Bobby Orangeboom

Georgee Paris wrote: Billy Sharp is one of the biggest con's I have seen in recent times
The refereeing was nothing short of disgraceful, two moments summed this up for me. The throw in incident and turning to our fans and laughing to himself.
If i remember rightly, myself & Mr Chavs thought out loud on here regarding Sharp's integrity or lack of it in his actions regarding the recent very sad time he went through.
jt-whufc

Post by jt-whufc »

What I have found most interesting in the last two games is that of Nolans Influence:

1. Noble has stepped out of his shadow and took on the captains role quite superbly.

2. For everyone who sticks up for Nolan saying he gees them on the pitch, is a good motivator to have around. The fight shown in the last two games WITHOUT Nolan is better than we have had all season and up there with the last 5 seasons. So what does he actually contribute on the pitch?

For me Noble should be captain everyday! Headbanger
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Billy Sharp getting abuse on Twitter from the bloke from talksport as well.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Jt,

I have been one of the biggest critics of the style of football we play to accomodate Nolan, but it is unfair to compare performances with ten men in two matches to having him in the team.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

ihateroeder wrote:Im sick to the back teeth of people stating that Faubert has been sensational, not becuase of his ability but because of his effort. Effort alone does not win you games, this guy is inherently rubbish, he cannot effectively do anything well and often misses good chances, cocks up easy crossing opportunities or gives away stupid fouls (one last night springs to mind).
Everytime he gets the ball I just do not expect anything but a missed pass, a cross that hits the first man or is over hit, a half attempt at a tackle or a foul.
I also recall a certain LBM putting in lots of effort and getting pelters every week, wake up people Faubert is merd!
Behave. Faubert intercepted about 5 midfield passes last night and can run with the ball. He probably has never regained his full form after rupturing his Achilles, but he runs himself up and down that line all night. Even though his crosses aren't great, he does link up well down the line and is often the foil to O'Brien's runs.
He's finally getting a run in the team in his preferred midfield / winger role and is getting better as the season progresses. He also wears his heart on his sleeve, and any hint of diving from the opposition, he's first in giving them a mouthful proper. And is a better player all round than LBM

Sorry, had to be said though. :)
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Up the Junction wrote: Another point on Probert; he booked Faye for his first foul of the night - a fairly innocuous challenge - then failed to caution Faubert two minutes later for a two-footed lunge that, if anything, should have been a straight red. It's been a while since I've witnessed a referee lose a game as comprehensively as that.
I agree with you, I didn't see Faubert's foul but the Faye one was right in front of me and I thought he got the ball and didn't think it was a foul let alone a booking
Bobby Orangeboom

kayahammer wrote: And is a better player all round than LBM
I reckon Mo Mowlam would be too given a chance.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Just to add to what I posted last night, a few people are saying it was right to take off Collison after the sending off. Now as dangerous and exciting as he looked going forward, Vaz Te is by far the worst defender I have seen at our club in years (and I include Diamanti in that) :lol:

Unless Jack was carrying an injury I would have left him on
jt-whufc

Post by jt-whufc »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Jt,

I have been one of the biggest critics of the style of football we play to accomodate Nolan, but it is unfair to compare performances with ten men in two matches to having him in the team.

I am more talking about the commitment and character shown, when we went to 10 men at Reading with Nolan on the pitch I did not once see him lead by example. For instance the Millwall game, Noble executed a well time, strong tackle which seem to gee them up. I understand that it was a derby etc but I strongly doubt Nolan would have had 10% of the impact if the roles were reveresed.

I just think Noble is more commited and dedicated to the cause and is perfoming better without Nolan in the team.

No surprise he has picked up two motm perfomances in this time as captain.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by MadMart »

Nothing much to add apart from I thought the 3 officials were absolute dross and BFS should have CC off sooner
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

jt-whufc wrote:I understand that it was a derby etc but I strongly doubt Nolan would have had 10% of the impact if the roles were reveresed..
Noble has and always will have that extra passion, but say Nolan would have only had 10% of the impact if the roles were reversed is laughable.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

hammerdivone wrote:Just to add to what I posted last night, a few people are saying it was right to take off Collison after the sending off. Now as dangerous and exciting as he looked going forward, Vaz Te is by far the worst defender I have seen at our club in years (and I include Diamanti in that) :lol:

Unless Jack was carrying an injury I would have left him on
You wasn't in Chavs corner was you? I heard quite a few people pointing out that Vaz Te is brilliant going forward but defensively he is utterly utterly shocking, just dives in and doesn't stand up well enough, although I was impressed he got forward and back quite well all game, there were people saying he was lazy but after his performance last night I'd beg to differ.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Went to the game last night expecting Southampton to outplay us to be honest. What a pleasant surprise!! we dominated for large periods and given the early sending off I thought we played very well and worked extremely hard, all the boys put in a fantastic shift & we were unlucky not to win. I felt that for the first time for what seems an eternity, we came out all guns blazing from the first whistle and put the Saints on the back foot from the off. Some heroic performances from us last night the best of which was Noble, that boy is really maturing into a good footballer who does it in big games and the way he constantly let the ball run across his body reminded me of Sir Trev. I also thought Vaz Te looked a cut above and Maynard look a proper handful when he came on. Finally our crowd were fantastic last night , I wish all home games had that old school feel about them......Southampton are no doubt a good footballing side but I feel we have shown them that we can play too when the shackles are off......WELL DONE EVERYBODY!!!!!
Bobby Orangeboom

jt-whufc wrote:
I am more talking about the commitment and character shown, when we went to 10 men at Reading with Nolan on the pitch I did not once see him lead by example. For instance the Millwall game, Noble executed a well time, strong tackle which seem to gee them up. I understand that it was a derby etc but I strongly doubt Nolan would have had 10% of the impact if the roles were reveresed.
Me neither in that whopping 17 minute spell where we were 2-0 down before we went down to 9 men & 3-0 down.