West Ham Utd 1 Southampton 1 (14/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Messiah

Re: West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by Messiah »

RyanWHUFC wrote: You wasn't in Chavs corner was you? I heard quite a few people pointing out that Vaz Te is brilliant going forward but defensively he is utterly utterly shocking, just dives in and doesn't stand up well enough, although I was impressed he got forward and back quite well all game, there were people saying he was lazy but after his performance last night I'd beg to differ.
I agree, he was always turning his back on his player and seemed to jump out of a few challenges. Happy with his work going forward and i can see him scoring a few goals before the end of the season. Most important of all is that he has pace and is willing to take his full back on something we have been without all season.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Is anyone else slightly concerned for Baldock at the moment, doesn't seem to be getting to be getting a look in and with Maynard here now I can't see him getting in the starting 11.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

In the cold light of day, and without the lingering effects of lager to cloud my judgement, I feel deflated after last night. Not because we played badly, in fact in the first half we played some of the best football we have played this season. It is just annoying that for the second game running, we were unable to show how we have improved because we have been reduced to 10 men.

I have not seen the highlights yet, but I can only go by the reaction of the people in the Alpari Lower to the sending off that hints that Taylor was, at best, stupid to raise his hands.

It is funny how you can develop irrational, or even rational, hatred for tinpot clubs. Southampton join my personal list that includes Luton and Oldham. I feel for Billy Sharp over the loss of his child, but he proved to be a disgusting cheat of the lowest order. The final insult was mouthing "shhh" to the West Ham fans as he took to the bench after being substituted. As for their fans. A pathetic bunch of wurzels. I am all for banter, but I have no respect for people that will sing the name of a foriegn country just to abuse a player. At least Millwall kept to "You Let Your Country Down". These silly bumpkins even sung Bubbles to Millwall earlier in the season.

Normally. after a game I will wish the opposition team luck, but I just hope the Saints go on a major freefall and finish outside the playoffs.

Bitter? Moi?
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Oops, picture doesn't work, here's the link " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

RyanWHUFC wrote:Is anyone else slightly concerned for Baldock at the moment, doesn't seem to be getting to be getting a look in and with Maynard here now I can't see him getting in the starting 11.
Nothing wrong with a few players fighting for positions, Hopefully we will get more out of them
Wickfordhammer

Post by Wickfordhammer »

Couldn't make the game last night due to working late, but again like Millwall it is nice to see us playing with some fight regardless of it finishing 1-1. We would have lost that game earlier on in the season. We're going to need that fighting spirit for the rest of the season starting next Tuesday at Blackpool.
I totally agree about Faubert 2 good crosses out of 7 is usually his ratio BUT his work rate/effort forces opposition players into mistakes, which leads to chances so keep it up Julien!
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

It gives me no pleasure to say it, but I thought Faubert was desperately poor last night. He got the ball in fantastic positions on a few occasions but I don't even bother to haul arse out of my seat because there is never any end product - crossing, shooting, sending a player through on goal - these are all beyond him.

In his defence, he really does look like he's trying this season, but so does Sears whenever he plays. But shamefully everyone gets on his back after the odd 20 minute appearance here and there whereas Faubert is treated with kid gloves because he runs after the ball with a bit of vigour 3 years into his fairly generous contract.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

My Southampton mate reckons there's a picture in The Times of Taylor with his hands round Sharp's throat.

Can anyone verify this or is it boll*cks?

Can't view The Times content online without a subscription
Caltagir

Post by Caltagir »

hammerdivone wrote:Just to add to what I posted last night, a few people are saying it was right to take off Collison after the sending off. Now as dangerous and exciting as he looked going forward, Vaz Te is by far the worst defender I have seen at our club in years (and I include Diamanti in that) :lol:

Unless Jack was carrying an injury I would have left him on
Whatever his abilities or confidence level, Collison has bottled tackles and not got stuck in at all since his injury. Not the kind of player you can afford at the best of times but definitely not when you are down to ten men.
I used to like him but am now wondering if he will ever live up to potential and whether we should just move him on.
Timbloom

Post by Timbloom »

Just got up after getting home late from game last night. 2 comments
[1] I don't usually have a go at match officials as they have a very difficult job - but last night the referee and at least one of the linesmen were simply awful. Some of the decisions, both for and against us were just laughable. The Taylor incident was right in front of us, and whilst he raised his hands, it looked more like a push on the chest to get the Southampton player away from him. The reaction of the Southampton player was disgraceful, and he should have gone off. Saw one of the shouts for penalty in first few minutes and how both ref and assistant missed is beyond me. Their performance was summed up by non decision in last minute of first half. We were attacking down left wing, and WH player crossed a ball that had clearly gone over the goal line by at least a foot, with no flag or reaction from assistant.
[2] Faubert - can't fault effort, but IMO he is just not good enough. 3 or 4 times in 2nd half he was in space with the ball in their half, with a couple of these potentially match winning positions. His lack of ball control let him down every time. When you are 1-0 up with only 10 men, you just cannot afford to lose possession without even threatening their goal. Like the guy, but he can't cut it at this level, let alone Premiership.

Great point in the circumstances.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Faubert is not all about the crossing - He ,last night, shackled the best left sided wide combination in the Championship (Lallana & Fox) and reduced them to long ball tactics.It was only when he went off that Southampton got going,imo.Likewise against Milwall.
I would like to see Faubert,Maynard and Vaz Te up front and I'm sure the pace and intelligence of the latter two would see them getting on the end of one or two of Faubert's "erratic" crosses.
It really is a shame that Allardyce chose to blow his wad on Nolan and not give Noble the captaincy - The money would have been better spent on a "Maynard and Vaz Te" at the start of the season - Because ,rush of blood aside, we have started looking like a team that could hold it's own in the Premiership with just a couple of astute signings.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

jt-whufc wrote:What I have found most interesting in the last two games is that of Nolans Influence:

1. Noble has stepped out of his shadow and took on the captains role quite superbly.

2. For everyone who sticks up for Nolan saying he gees them on the pitch, is a good motivator to have around. The fight shown in the last two games WITHOUT Nolan is better than we have had all season and up there with the last 5 seasons. So what does he actually contribute on the pitch?

For me Noble should be captain everyday! Headbanger
I dont agree with this. Noble has been superb in the last two games, but dont forget that we were top of the league before Kevin ("I have contributed 7 goals") Nolan got sent off. I would still put Nolan in before Collison. I suspect Sam will too.
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

I thought faubert played quite well. dont forget we had a man short

anyone else a bit nervy of tomkins in centre-mid? so far hes played in 2 games where we've been down to 10 early doors so hes had to be an extra defender......i'm not sure he'll play well in a 'normal game'.

thumbs down to the odd idiot in the crowd slating players in the 92nd min for not closing down quick enough - they were knackered for ****s sake
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Sweeney Bod wrote: It is funny how you can develop irrational, or even rational, hatred for tinpot clubs. Southampton join my personal list that includes Luton and Oldham. I feel for Billy Sharp over the loss of his child, but he proved to be a disgusting cheat of the lowest order. The final insult was mouthing "shhh" to the West Ham fans as he took to the bench after being substituted.
Sweet, I thought I was the only one who was feeling an irrational distaste for Sharp and Saints this morning. Last night really left a bitter taste in my mouth...don't even really know why, I've seen and heard much, much worse. Probably didn't help that on the tube back two of their lot let off the most rancid fart I've ever encountered in my life just as they were getting off at Mile End. Pretty much a metaphor for the night there
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

What was as bad as Sharps oscar performance was lallana dive.

Probably the worst I've ever seen, O'Brian was no where near him.
saint_ed

Post by saint_ed »

I'm not condoning Sharp's terrible play acting or Lallana's dive. They deserve a lot of the criticism on here. HOWEVER, if any has a real player account, please look at the penalty. Noble WASN'T touched. Unfortunately he dived.

This is not me being bitter, as I have stated before, you were clearly the better side when it was 11 v 11 and played the better football. Southampton were very cynical how they went about things last night. However, it wasn't all one sided, as the replays show, Sharp pulled his leg out of the challenge, and Noble dived.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

what is with this whole that striker cannot defend cobblers? (re Vaz Te)

He's an attacker? He ran himself into the ground for us last night.

Also Sharp getting loads of abuse on Twitter but good to see it's all football related...

Except for one Donny Rovers fan who has now deleted his account. What an absolute SCUMBAG to post such things.

Hope he gets his come uppence... (and Sharp)
Last edited by The Rebirth on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Sloffy wrote:I thought faubert played quite well. dont forget we had a man short
I don't really want to take away anything from the players that stayed on - getting a point against our main rivals was fantastic in the circumstances. But it was Faubert's slide tackle about a minute after Faye had just been booked (and after Taylor was already off) that made me give up on him - I haven't seen a replay, but it looked for all the world like he could get at least a yellow if not more the way the ref was carrying on. If he'd been sent off at that point we would have been spanked.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Adkins reckons that Sharp did not touch Noble but says it was a coming together in the box and yes there was contact.

Am I missing something here? Don't you have to touch somebody to have contact?

It looked a clear penalty at the time and the only view in normal time on SSN seemed to show that Sharp's foot clearly caught Noble's ankle, I can't see what the complaint is?

What about the shove on Vaz Te as the ball went out for goal kick earlier, anywhere else on the field it would have been a foul.

There is also a picture in the Sun of Taylor's hand clearly in Sharp's face (neck), I don't think he can have any excuses or complaints.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Sweeney Bod wrote: It is funny how you can develop irrational, or even rational, hatred for tinpot clubs. Southampton join my personal list that includes Luton and Oldham. I feel for Billy Sharp over the loss of his child, but he proved to be a disgusting cheat of the lowest order. The final insult was mouthing "shhh" to the West Ham fans as he took to the bench after being substituted.
Believe me, live anywhere near them and you would realise your dislike is entirely rational. Going back to when they were obviously falling out of the premier league and during all of their years since to hear alot of their fans talk you would believe they win the premier league and champions league every season. Just watch their crowds drop back down if they don't get promoted, though they will also drop after a couple of months if they do.