West Ham Utd 2 Reading 4 (31/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

indiehammer

Re: West Ham United v Reading: Match Thread

Post by indiehammer »

Just got back.

Fans were top notch today :thup: scenes in the BML when Carlton scored were mental!

Best half of football i've seen West Ham play at the Boleyn in a long while, cracking stuff.

2 very avoidable goals went in and we never looked back.

Sam's substitution was all wrong and had no effect. I don't rate Collins and aside from his mistake, Noble was playing well.

There wasn't any negativity amongst the fans today (in the BML) just utter silence all through the second half, i think most of us were stunned at how we were losing.

The team never really got going, Vaz Te took his header excellently but there wasn't much apart from that.

Reading were poor but Roberts held the ball up well and we didn't cope with their counter attacks during the second half.

I thought O'Neil had a good game today and he made an effort to clap all sides of the ground, even though he got very little back.

I'm not giving up yet, it's not in our hands but that may work in our favour. Aim to get as many points as possible and hope the top two slip up. COYI
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

upton o'good wrote:
If Sam has a fan club it is a pretty small one.

But on how we lost twice - On the players for me. the set up worked fine, and we had the chances to kill them off first half. Then the self destruction kicked in with Mark noble playing the ball sideways in front of the box... If he had just lumped it fwd...
Mark Noble doesn't need to apologise to anyone after the season he has had...

Unlike our manager.

I agree on chances...although we were all over them, we didn't really work their keeper.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Up the Junction wrote:Forgot to mention - Brian McDermott is a credit to the game and that tinpot club don't deserve him.
That's good to hear, because I know him from way back when he was running Football In The Community at Slough Town, and he was one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met. What I've been reading here, does not sound like the Brian I knew and I was sure that there must be some mistaken perceptions.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

indiehammer wrote:Just got back.

Fans were top notch today :thup: scenes in the BML when Carlton scored were mental!

Best half of football i've seen West Ham play at the Boleyn in a long while, cracking stuff.

2 very avoidable goals went in and we never looked back.

Sam's substitution was all wrong and had no effect. I don't rate Collins and aside from his mistake, Noble was playing well.

There wasn't any negativity amongst the fans today (in the BML) just utter silence all through the second half, i think most of us were stunned at how we were losing.

The team never really got going, Vaz Te took his header excellently but there wasn't much apart from that.

Reading were poor but Roberts held the ball up well and we didn't cope with their counter attacks during the second half.

I thought O'Neil had a good game today and he made an effort to clap all sides of the ground, even though he got very little back.

I'm not giving up yet, it's not in our hands but that may work in our favour. Aim to get as many points as possible and hope the top two slip up. COYI
Too right Indie, what block were you sat in, in BML? Was a decent atmosphere for sure!!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Up the Junction wrote:Forgot to mention - Brian McDermott is a credit to the game and that tinpot club don't deserve him.
Totally disagree Boss

Who do you think teaches them to argue with the ref, stay down for donkeys, time waste and of course give them a huge chip on their shoulder.

I could tell where the manager learnt his trade....Good Slag :evil:
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

Agree with Romford on that one...
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

I thought O'Neil and Vaz Te were both v good - Nolan much better today, too.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Every one of our mistakes at the back was punished and invariably led to a goal for them - Noble got caught faffing about with it on the edge of the box when he should have got rid...then Faye lost Gorkss who he was supposed to mark for their first goal...for their second from the goal kick Roberts got time and space to bring the ball down and turn and when the ball squirmed out to the edge of box instead of lumping it high and clearing it Faubert chickened out and managed to pass it straight to Hunt. In the build up to their penalty I thought the ball should have been cleared well before hand...and the fourth (which was a mile offside) we were sloppy at the back and didn't play to the whistle. The fact is we are still mentality weak and lacking confidence at home and it shows.

Two major points aside from this: the substitution at half time was a complete joke, Tomkins is not a holding midfielder and should never be played in that position again...we needed a Lansbury or a Collison on - ie. some-one who has a bit of vision, can pass the ball forward and be comfortable on it.

Lastly, Chris Foy is a class A c**t who hates West Ham and should never set foot inside our ground again.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

'64 '75 '80 wrote: That's good to hear, because I know him from way back when he was running Football In The Community at Slough Town, and he was one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met. What I've been reading here, does not sound like the Brian I knew and I was sure that there must be some mistaken perceptions.
So Kebe still never took ths pi$$ ??

Is that why they chucked socks on the pitch and the keeper kept doing his socks up to the away fans

Blokes a lying w@nker
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Romford wrote:No...the problem is that You and many others have backed the coward to do what he wants. You have slagged off anyone who has had the audacity to bring up shortcomings.

The manager lost us this game...and after hearing all the cobblers about being "Deluded" , the most deluded person in the BG was the bloke with a Big Head and an even bigger Ego who thinks that to get back into the game was to put our best defender out of position and put another defender on.

Anyone who makes out that defeat was down to the players has absolutely no clue on how to play football.
Sorry mate I have never slagged you or any other West Ham fan off for having an opinion, that's a cheap shot.

We were one nil up and comfortable and a series of players made suicidal errors. That turned the game around.

Argue all you like about the substitutions and tactics in the second half, but they did not lose us the game, they may not have helped. The players did in a mad five minutes. You never seen it happen here before? I have loads of times - long before Sam turned up.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Romford wrote: So Kebe still never took ths pi$$ ??

Is that why they chucked socks on the pitch and the keeper kept doing his socks up to the away fans

Blokes a lying w@nker
I can't say Romford, because I was watching on a jerky, freezing stream and didn't see that.
Valley Hammer

Post by Valley Hammer »

I agree it was mistakes that cost us BUT the half time substitution was a fatal error by BFS. If we had come out with some intent we could have got back level and maybe gone on to win it. Substituting Noble for Collins put all the wrong messages out.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Romford wrote:Who do you think teaches them to argue with the ref, stay down for donkeys, time waste and of course give them a huge chip on their shoulder.
No idea mate, but everyone does it these days, don't they?

I was sitting right behind the bench today and if anyone should be slated it was their number two who was basically inciting the crowd with his antics.
Valley Hammer wrote:If we had come out with some intent we could have got back level and maybe gone on to win it.
We did that in the first half - and lost that one 2-1 as well.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Hockley Hammer wrote: You never seen it happen here before? I have loads of times - long before Sam turned up.
Good job BFS has instilled a 'winning metality' as many on here were so eager to state earlier in the season...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Hockley Hammer wrote:
Sorry mate I have never slagged you or any other West Ham fan off for having an opinion, that's a cheap shot.

We were one nil up and comfortable and a series of players made suicidal errors. That turned the game around.

Argue all you like about the substitutions and tactics in the second half, but they did not lose us the game, they may not have helped. The players did in a mad five minutes. You never seen it happen here before? I have loads of times - long before Sam turned up.
Im sorry to be personal...but im livid at the mo

Many of us were moaning about the tactics from September and many including your goodself said "how can you winge when we are winning".

Those 2 goals didn't kill us...half time did.

I've seen us lose loads of games in 5 mins...but i've never seen a manager think that moving a centreback into midfield when we've got an England U21 international on the bench will help us win after being in charge of the game for 44 mins.

Gave the total impetus to the crap visitors...and lost us the match.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Forgot to add: Faubert is not and never will be a good RB...passable as a winger but thats about it
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Up the Junction wrote: No idea mate, but everyone does it these days, don't they?

I was sitting right behind the bench today and if anyone should be slated it was their number two who was basically inciting the crowd with his antics.
Near us, did ya see our almost punch at the end !!!?

I kept the peace, peacemaker of the year :thup:
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

I'm expecting certain people to leap in with the Sam out=X box playing schoolkid insults at any minute........... :lol:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Irrons wrote:Forgot to add: Faubert is not and never will be a good RB...passable as a winger but thats about it
That's a bit harsh, I thought he was one of our best players today?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Up the Junction wrote: No idea mate, but everyone does it these days, don't they?

They were by far the worst Boss....although Southampton were pretty bad too.

I have NEVER seen so many winges to the ref though...ever.

How on earth could the ref keep a straight face after booking Tomkins for dissent Headbanger