Chelsea 2-0 West Ham Utd (17/03/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ricardo

Chelsea 2-0 West Ham Utd (17/03/13)

Post by Ricardo »

Chelsea FC v West Ham United
Sunday 17/03/13
Kick Off: 4.00pm

West Ham United Ticket Office can now confirm that all Standard/Disabled Match Tickets for the above Chelsea Away fixture have now SOLD OUT.

Chelsea FC
Nickname The Blues
Founded 1905
Ground Stamford Bridge, London (capacity: 41,837)
Chairman Bruce Buck
Manager Rafael Benitez
2011–12 Premier League, 6th

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/chelsea/

Stamford Bridge

The ground is quite impressive looking, having had three new stands built since the mid-1990's. The developers have taken advantage of the fact that the 'old' Stamford Bridge was oval shaped and have stretched the new stands right around the ground 'filling in' the corners, so that the stadium is totally enclosed. The latest addition to the stadium is the attractive looking West Stand, which was opened in 2001. Located on one side of the pitch, it is a superb three tiered affair having a row of executive boxes running across its middle, the type of which you are able to sit outside. Its roof is virtually transparent, allowing more light to reach the pitch and gives it a unique look. Opposite is the older East Stand. Opened in 1973 this towering stand is also three tiered and has the team dugouts situated at its front.

Both ends are smaller being two-tiered. One of these is the Matthew Harding Stand, named in memory of the man who did so much to transform the club. Opposite is the Shed End which has a Police Control Box suspended below its roof. There are two large video screens located in opposite corners of the stadium. Outside the ground, behind the West Stand is a statue of former playing legend, Peter Osgood.

The Club recently lost out on their bid to takeover the site of the Batteresa Power Station and build upon it a new 60,000 capacity stadium. It remains to be seen now whether the Club continue look for an alternative site for a new stadium or whether they try to further expand the capacity of Stamford Bridge.

Away fans are located on one side of the Shed End lower tier (towards the East Stand side), where the normal allocation for league games is 3,000 tickets. For cup games the whole of the Shed End can be allocated. The view from this area of the ground is pretty good and the refreshment areas are modern looking. There are televisions on the concourses, showing amongst other things at half time, highlights from the first half. A range of pies and pasties are on offer, including the Chicken Balti Pie (£3) and roll over hot dogs (£3.50). Alcohol is also available with Heineken & Guinness on offer at £3.50 a pint. There is also a 'meal deal' available for a pie and a pint (£6).

On the whole I found Stamford Bridge a pleasurable day out. There was a good atmosphere within the ground and even though there wasn't a lot of space between the home and away fan sections, in didn't feel intimidating. The stewards were also pretty laid back. I was seated in the Shed End and I did find a little difficult to go up and down the steps of the stand, due to the stand itself being quite steep and the steps between rows quite small. The only ‘real hassle' I had was trying to get through the lines of stewards situated outside the stadium at the entrance to the away section. They seemed to assume that I was a Chelsea fan and kept ushering me towards the home end. Only after showing my ticket for the visiting section for a third time did I finally make it inside.

The pubs near the ground can be quite partisan, so I would recommend getting a drink somewhere on the journey there. A number of away fans drink in the pubs around the Earl's Court area, which is only a couple of tube stops away from Fulham Broadway station. The Courtfield Tavern, which is almost opposite the main entrance to Earl's Court Tube Station, is a particular favourite with away supporters. This pubs serves real ale, offers hot food, but both at what can be described as 'London prices'. Gordon a visiting Newcastle fan adds 'there are quite a few pubs on the Kings Road that are okay as long as you don't break into a chorus about your team!'. Alcohol is available inside the stadium, however for certain fixtures the Club opt not to sell any to away supporters, so don't bank on it!

Leave the M25 at Junction 15 and take the M4 towards London, which then becomes the A4 up to Hammersmith. Carry on over the Hammersmith flyover and after a further one and half miles, take the turning Earls Court. Continue past Earls Court station and down the one way system until you reach the junction with Fulham Road. At this junction, turn right at the traffic lights and after about half a mile, you will see the ground on your right.

A number of local resident schemes are in operation around the stadium, so you may well end up having to park some way from the ground itself. Thanks to Andy Harris for providing the directions.

The nearest tube station is Fulham Broadway which is on the District Line. Take a tube to Earls Court and if necessary, change for a Wimbledon bound tube. The nearest over ground train station is West Brompton, which is served by trains from Clapham Junction (which is in turn served by trains from London Waterloo and Victoria stations). It is around a 15 minute walk to the ground from West Brompton station.

As you come out of the station turn right and proceed along Old Brompton Road, passing the Tournament Pub on your left. You will soon see the Brompton Cemetery immediately on your right and further along set back from the road is its impressive looking entrance. Turn right through the entrance into the cemetery (there are normally a number of other supporters doing the same) and as you walk on through the cemetery you will soon see the tops of the stands of Stamford Bridge.

If it is a night game then do not go into the cemetery, but take the next right after the cemetery into Finborough Road. After a half-mile, turn right onto the Fulham Road and the stadium is located down on the right.

Previous Encounter

West Ham 3 - 1 Chelsea
1st December 2012

Rafael Benitez's troubled start to life at Chelsea plumbed new depths at Upton Park, as West Ham produced an incredible second-half comeback to snatch a memorable victory.
Chants of "sacked in the morning" and "one Di Matteo" rang out as Chelsea allowed a 1-0 half-time lead to slip, with West Ham roaring back thanks to goals from Carlton Cole, Mohamed Diame and Modibo Maiga.

Stats

Previews and more will be added in the match update.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Chelsea v West Ham: Match Thread

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Really can't wait for this one should be a cracking day out again. Hope everyone going can carry on the level of support we had yesterday against Stoke. As we have shown we can beat this lot, there wouldn't be much sweeter than beating them twice this season.

Think after yesterday it would be hard to drop anybody, but would put Collison in for O'neil.

---------------Jussi
Demel--Reid--Collins--JOB
----------Diame--Collison
--------------J.Cole
Vaz Te----Carroll-----Jarvis
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Re: Chelsea v West Ham Utd: Match Thread

Post by BigFatSam »

Going to this! can't wait!
---------------jussi------------------
--Demel--Reid--Collins---JOB-
--------Diame---Collison-----------
--Vaz Te---JCole----------Jarvis
------------- Carroll----------
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Really looking forward to this one. St Patricks day as well so nice and early on the guiness up London somewhere, go to the game, pub afterwards and get hammered. I've got the Monday off to nurse the hangover too :)
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

When did their nickname stop being "The Pensioners"?
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

Have Chelsea got any games in between for Lampard to get to his landmark goal or is it inevitable he will score it against us?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Rocketron wrote:When did their nickname stop being "The Pensioners"?
"Originates from the Chelsea pensioners, based at the nearby Royal Hospital Chelsea Official nickname til 1952."

From wiki so who knows if it's true or not.
kosherhammer
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by kosherhammer »

1860OnceMoore wrote:Have Chelsea got any games in between for Lampard to get to his landmark goal or is it inevitable he will score it against us?
They play Man Utd in the FA Cup
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

They play Man Utd in the FA Cup[/quote]

Cheers Kosher
jammys78

Post by jammys78 »

First trip to the bridge, never been able to get ticket before cannot wait!!

Do most of our lot drink around earls court for this usually ?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

jammys78 wrote:
Do most of our lot drink around earls court for this usually ?
Despite the advice of The Football Ground Guide, I've always found it fairly easy to find an away friendly pub near by Fulham Broadway station. Having said that I didn't go to the last fixture over there so others maybe able to offer some more up to date advice. You'll mostly find Chelsea fans looking for somewhere to grab a coffee though.
Hammertapp
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Hammertapp »

Couldn't afford this one. £55 is just too much in my book.

Looking forward to it nevertheless, hopefully we give it a real go. What I would give for a double over these scumbags...

-------------Jussi--------------
-Demel-Collins-Reid-J'OB

-------Noble-Diame------
-Vaz Te--Collison--Jarvis-

------------Carroll------------

COYI!
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

Hammertapp wrote: -------------Jussi--------------
-Demel-Collins-Reid-J'OB

-------Noble-Diame------
-Vaz Te--Collison--Jarvis-

------------Carroll------------
COYI!
That's how I'd line up too, assuming JC is out (if not, play him on right)

2-2
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

I would give my left bollock to beat this lot. I ****ing hate Chelsea.
e17
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 971 likes

Post by e17 »

1-1

Respect the point
Los Martillos

Post by Los Martillos »

If JC is back and fit he could be the difference. To nick 3 points at their place would be sweeter than the 3 at ours.

1-2 Carroll, Diame
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2491 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Two weeks away, so too early to call a team......but make no mistake, this is winnable.

They have a soft underbelly.

Joe Cole is going to score a decisive goal either here or Anfield. It is written in the law of sod.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Matt of iron wrote:I would give my left bollock to beat this lot. I ****ing hate Chelsea.
:thup: Hated then since I was in short trousers at school !!!!!!!!!!!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

1860OnceMoore wrote:Have Chelsea got any games in between for Lampard to get to his landmark goal or is it inevitable he will score it against us?
kosherhammer wrote: They play Man Utd in the FA Cup

along with 2 game against Steaua Bucuresti in the Europa Cup

He will get his 203rd chelsea record breaking goal top scorer goal against us, it is set in stone already written into the record books. :(
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I wanted to start Cole, but wouldn't replace Vaz Te or Jarvis as I feel we need outlets to keep the ball and keep it away from their attacking midfield three, I'd go for...

Jussi
Demel Reid Collins O'Brien
Noble Diame
Vaz Te Collison Jarvis
Carroll.

With Vaz Te and Collison switching positions and Collison playing like he did last season from the right at times.