West Ham Utd 2-0 Wigan Athletic (20/04/13)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Absentee Hammer

Re: West Ham United v Wigan Athletic: Match Thread

Post by Absentee Hammer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:
On the plus side, we are "kind of" safe, but three points and we are there without question, I just hope the "kind of" safe mentality means we don't take the foot off the pedal a little bit, I don't think that will happen to a SA side in fairness.

Got the makings of a very good game.
I agree with you Clacton, in years gone by, the players would be thinking about their hols or who they want to join next season, but with BS, I am sure he will be at them to produce results right upto the end of the Reading match, after all, a nice little run now could see us end up in 8th as West Brom are only 5 points above us, this will translate into a few million more into the kitty for league standings

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 pm

fmgod wrote:
We've won the last four at home against these.
They've well beaten us twice this season already, once at our place

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Yea Why Not wrote: They've well beaten us twice this season already, once at our place
We always lose away to these and that was in the cup with Spence, Hall, Modibo and Potts playing.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:55 pm

fmgod wrote:
Also there is a stat about Barcelona without Messi have more points, that stat proves nothing.
Did you not watch the second leg of the Barcelona v PSG game? Before Messi came on Barcelona were useless. I'm not saying Vaz Te has the same level of influence, but it's clear that he does have an influence on the way we play and how well we play.

Nolan4

Post by Nolan4 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:00 pm

I think we were relegated after Wigan's game, weren't we? So let's taste a sweet revenge and show them the way out from the Premier League. I'd like to see Nolan's chicken run again!

COYI

Norwich Iron

Post by Norwich Iron » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Couldn't,t go last night as I was on a night shift. Looking forward to Saturday, a nice bit of pie and mash and hopefully a good win for us. 3-1 West Ham. COYI! :crest:

bwbazza

Post by bwbazza » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:29 pm

the celestial insect wrote:Nolan to break his barren run, 1-1.
At home against the bottom teams

QPR 1-1
Stoke 1-1
Sunderland 1-1

Wigan , Newcastle, Reading 1-1 of course

kthammer

Post by kthammer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Aceface wrote:Wigan are one of our (many many) bogey teams.

A one goal victory would represent a better result than beating a team in the bottom 3 ever normally would
they are not really a bogey team - it's about honours even I think

Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:57 pm

thejackhammer wrote:WHU_Stats ‏@WHU_Stats 11 Apr
#WHUFC with Ricardo Vaz Te starting = 26 points from 13 games. #WHUFC without Ricardo Vaz Te starting = 12 points from 19 games.

The game after he scores and plays a vital part in the second and you want to drop him?
Quite :thup:

He is one of our most lethal players. Sure, he blows hot or cold at times, but when he's on his game he can be a handful for anyone. Not only that, it would seem he's very much a confidence player. I feel he has suffered this season, not only from not getting a run in the side until of late, but even moreso not getting a run when his confidence is high. He's been in and out, so hasn't had the chance to build that confidence up
After the part he played in almost beating the champions elect, his confidence must be high, so it would be madness to drop him, partly because that would only knock his confidence further, thus limiting how effective he might be in the rest of the season, but also to allow him the chance to build on that with a run of good form

The only change I'd consider, assuming there are no enforced changes, would be Noble in for O'Neil. I'm not sure about that, as O'Neil has been excellent in Nobes's absence, and I'm not sure it sends the right message were he to walk straight back into the side. Flip of a coin really between those two.
Otherwise unchanged

10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Reckon their away support could just put our lads off myself. 8-)

Reading, QPR and this lot I would like to see relegated please.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Last time Vaz Te scored he got injured in the next game and was out for ages, it is all about confidence for him, hopefully he can have a good game on Saturday and kick on from there.

Gerblatz

Post by Gerblatz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:51 pm

No walk in the park this one - they're fighting for survival and have some decent players that will hurt us if we're not on the top of our game. Momentum is with us and the lads are in the groove, so I expect us to be able to cope with these in a fight.

They have got to come and play for the win and therein lies our opportunity to exploit that. We may have to be patient and they will know all about Diame's strengths, so I expect them to try to nullify his threat.

More of the same with regards to our great performance against the Mancs...if we can start on the front foot; get the early goal in the 1st 15 minutes, there's a good chance we could take these apart and some. My feeling is that won't happen, but can still see us beating these 2-1 and pushing them to the edge of the championship abyss.

ohsnap

Post by ohsnap » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:57 pm

cant believe people slate Vaz Te so much, hes one of the only ones who is willing to have a go at players and to be fair most of the time he does get past them, defensively he isn't as solid but how people can slate him so much i do not get, the guy in front of me in BML is his biggest hater and it does my head in listening to it every game

This will be a tough game but if we can win ( which i think we will ) were all but safe and Wigan are well in the ****! COYI!!! :crest:

american 'ammer

Post by american 'ammer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:11 pm

I'll be in Las Vegas for my bachelor party for this one, and I doubt West Ham - Wigan will be in any of the bars. Even the "pubs."

As long as we don't lose I'm okay with it. The trick is not to give them too much respect while at the same time not being cocky. Carroll will terrorize them and create opportunities and, as Sam says, we will win if we take them. Simple as.

COYI.

Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm

I'd love for us to put a nail in the coffin of Whelan's club :crest:

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:35 pm

If only we could, I'd have Carlitos on loan for the afternoon.

Nice opportunity to see what players we might poach. Figueroa for left back please.

carugohammers

Post by carugohammers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:33 pm

If we repeat yesterday's performance we win ... 3-0 COYI

beckton

Post by beckton » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 pm

american 'ammer wrote:I'll be in Las Vegas for my bachelor party for this one, and I doubt West Ham - Wigan will be in any of the bars. Even the "pubs."

I'm on holiday in Florida. It's a long shot but I'm looking for a pub that will have this on in Orlando.

If not I'll have to find a stream.

UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 pm

After very good performance against Man Utd, fancy ourselves here. COYI :crest:

Chicken Run Supreme

Post by Chicken Run Supreme » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 pm

On the way to last night's game I said to the kids that this game would be the tougher of the two home games this week and I still expect that to be the case. Wigan will give it everything and if I could take a 1-0 home win right now, I'd snap it up. However, if we play like we did last night, I could see a comfortable home win that would push them closer to Championship next season. Having said that, Wigan are a funny old team, on any given matchday they can be quite brilliant and capable of beating anyone, or can be completely crap and liable to take a tonking, I know which one I would like to see turn up saturday afternoon. Looking forward to this one nonetheless.