West Ham Utd 4-2 Reading (19/05/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: West Ham v That small club in Berkshire match thread.

Post by Pop Robson »

It can go 3 ways, win, lose or draw.

Depends if either team can be bothered , which I doubt it yawnfest predicted
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

I don't think the Everton game was the players being on "their holidays", they had an end of season pissup during midweek. Everton didn't. That's all it was and probably why we looked sluggish and disinterested.

We haven't had one this week and Sam, and the squad, despite winning the Playoff final and gaining promotion anyway will want to get revenge for losing the title to this poor excuse for a club last year. We should have walked away with that title last year and players would hold onto that as much as us lot will.

We will win. We will dominate every aspect of the game but only win 2-0.
(You heard that here first :D )
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Out of curiosity are we wearing our new shirt on Sunday?
american 'ammer

Post by american 'ammer »

I'll take a thumping Andy Carroll header for the game's only goal.

Unfortunately I won't be watching this one as I'll be getting married! Wish me luck or condolences. :D
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Id just love it if we beat them.....absolutely love it!!!!

Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

And so it's the last match related update copied directly from the bbc website from me for the season, I've enjoyed doing the match threads in Dyers Legs absence and thanks to everyone for the kind comments.
I'm working on a new idea for the pre-season games and I've a feeling my learned friend Mr Leg will be back for the season proper. So, a good summer to all and see you for Cork. :crest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22499173

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce's only real fitness doubt is James Tomkins.
Apart from that, and the long-term absence of George McCartney, he should have a relatively full-strength side available.

Reading boss Nigel Adkins will have to make do without winger Jimmy Kebe and forward Jason Roberts.
But otherwise there are no fresh concerns ahead of their final match of the season.

MATCH PREVIEW

As any cliché-wielding writer and Wigan Athletic fan know, a week (or sometimes even a few days) is a long time in football. But for these two clubs, the last year must feel like a lifetime.

Twelve months ago this Sunday, West Ham concluded what had been a real grind of a season by hauling themselves back in to the Premier League with a play-off victory over Blackpool at Wembley. Reading, on the other hand, were already enjoying their holidays after wrapping up the Championship title with a perfectly-timed run up the table three weeks previously.

Now, the team which laboured so much outside the elite can wrap up a top-half finish while the best the Football League had to offer last season have returned below stairs with barely a whimper.
West Ham have rarely excited the neutral but their overall performance has been a world away from the disjointed shambles which tumbled out of the top flight two years ago.

Manager Sam Allardyce may not be universally popular among the Hammers' long-suffering supporters but few can argue that he's done exactly what was required. Big Sam's way may not be the West Ham way to some but he's met all of the targets set by the owners who've now sorted out his new two-year contract - but can he build on what's been achieved?

Central to that question could be Andy Carroll. The on-loan Liverpool striker has been in superb form at the end of a season disrupted by injury, but unless the two clubs reach some sort of compromise over his value then this could be his final appearance in claret and blue.

While West Ham never really looked in danger of relegation this season, Reading never really looked as though they believed they had a realistic chance of survival.
Winger Jimmy Kebe claimed before Christmas that a lack of transfer activity following promotion meant The Royals were "a good Championship side trying to compete in the Premier League" and despite the Adam Le Fondre-inspired flurry of points in January he seems to have been proved correct.

Although the sacking of Brian McDermott seemed harsh, Nigel Adkins appears to be the sort of man Reading need to ensure their stay in the Championship is a brief one.

The spine of the squad which won promotion last season is still intact - all four of the goals in the recent win at Fulham were scored by members of the title-winning side - and the work Adkins did at Southampton before his own surprise dismissal means the turbulence of relegation shouldn't linger for too long in Berkshire.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

West Ham have won just one of their previous five Premier League meetings with Reading (D1 L3).

The last time West Ham beat Reading at home was in the Championship, a 1-0 victory in August 2004.

Should Reading win this match, they'll have secured more wins against West Ham in the Premier League than against any other side (four, currently three).

West Ham

The Hammers have managed just two goals in their last five Premier League games.

But they have lost just one of their last eight Premier League home games (W4, D3, L1).

Goalkeeper Jussi Jääskeläinen has faced more shots on target (211) and has made more saves (162) than any other goalkeeper in the Premier League this term.

No side has conceded a lower proportion of their goals from set-pieces than West Ham United this season in the Premier League (15.7%).

Reading

No side has fewer clean sheets this season than Reading (5).

The Royals have won fewer points away from home than any other side in the Premier League this season (8).

They have scored a league-high proportion of 39% of their goals in the final 15 minutes of Premier League games this season.

Jobi McAnuff has attempted 39 shots (incl. blocked) without scoring in the Premier League this season; more than any other player.

Reading goalkeeper Alex McCarthy has been forced into a save every 17 minutes on average in the Premier League this season; more often than any other goalkeeper.

Weather:

19 degrees, 20% chance of rain, probably.

Travel:

No planned closures on the District, Hammersmith or Jubilee lines affecting us this weekend.

Tickets:

Less than 300 tickets remain for the visit of Reading FC.

Hilarious:

Programme:

Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

We're gonna lose. :lol:
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

The Gibbins wrote:Id just love it if we beat them.....absolutely love it!!!!

We wont
mcan
Has liked: 201 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by mcan »

Stop giving them the time of day. You lot are making us looking obsessed with them.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

american 'ammer wrote:I'll take a thumping Andy Carroll header for the game's only goal.

Unfortunately I won't be watching this one as I'll be getting married! Wish me luck or condolences. :D
Congratulations ! You won't need luck, just lots of hard work.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by MadMart »

american 'ammer wrote:I'll take a thumping Andy Carroll header for the game's only goal.

Congrats Dooode
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ricardo wrote: Programme:

Winston "The Rock" Reid - he's gonna Layeth the Smacketh Down....

:D
sheworeaclaretribbon

Post by sheworeaclaretribbon »

mcan wrote:Stop giving them the time of day. You lot are making us looking obsessed with them.

Exactly
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Coulda sworn this was the match thread?

Where else do you suggest we discuss the upcoming match?
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Shame these Reading lads can't make it
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=SznENqwg ... znENqwggoA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

MID-TABLE MEDIOCRITY: WHAT IT MEANS FOR YOUR CLUB

10th: West Ham (v Reading H) - Could finish as high as ninth with nine-goal swing (£9million), as low as 14th (£4.5m)

11th: Stoke City (v Southampton A) - As high as 10th (£8.3m), as low as 17th (£3m)

12th: Norwich (v Man City A) - As high as 10th with eight-goal swing (£8.3m), as low as 17th (£3m)

13th: Newcastle (v Arsenal H) - As high as 10th with 12-goal swing (£8.3m), as low as 17th (£3m)

14th: Southampton (v Stoke H) - As high as 10th (£8.3m), as low as 17th (£3m)

15th: Fulham (v Swansea A) - As high as 10th with three-goal swing (£8.3m), as low as 17th (£3m)

16th: Aston Villa (v Wigan A) - As high as 10th with 12-goal swing (£8.3m), as low as 17th (£3m)

17th: Sunderland (v Tottenham H) - As high as 11th (£7.5m), as low as 17th (£3m)
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

We haven't played well since Man U at home. Still expect us to win.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Ricardo wrote: Jobi McAnuff has attempted 39 shots (incl. blocked) without scoring in the Premier League this season; more than any other player.
First goalscorer on Sunday.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

how many these maggots going to bring is there boycott still on just another excuse not to tun up
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

from who

The View From The Opposition - Reading

The last game of the season is now upon us as already relegated Reading (and I do love typing that) are the final opponents of the season.

Reading have had a disaster of a season despite being the ones who won the Championship last season and West Ham going up via the play offs.

The facts are that Reading failed to strengthen their side and West Ham didn't. The Premiership experience running through our team was always going to give us the edge and the table doesn't lie.

We have a poor recent record against Reading who have beaten us in our last three meetings.

It is time to send Reading back to where they belong with a result which will crown a decent season for West Ham.

Finding a Reading supporter willing to take part was no easy job so many thanks to James Churchward for agreeing to take part for the final View From The Opposition.

**** club, no rivalries, crap part of town. What's the appeal to Reading FC?

**** club? Yet always manage to beat you that one thing I'd say first. The board of Reading try targeting families as we're not like the scummy Millwall fans. Reading is more a family club that's why there's so many things happening for kids and special offers so they use that to appeal to fans. It's a good club (Not playing wise) but in other ways and the public like it the fans are nice (apart from maybe some individuals if you've come across some), there's some entertainment and activity's for people easy to get to so people like going.

Was Firing Mcdermott the right thing to do or should it have been done much earlier to give new man a chance of surviving?

It was absolutely the wrong timing! It should've been done before Christmas as up to then in the league we had only won 1 game which wasn't good enough although he had a good period after beating you, West Brom, Sunderland, and the comeback against Chelsea. If he got sacked before Christmas then that new manager could've had the January Transfer window and then 4 months after that to build on survival.

Why are your fans boycotting the game over the supposed high price of £49, but happily paid £43 for Fulham the other week?

They are saying it's stupid as the prices haven't even been that high for clubs like Man United, Chelsea, and Arsenal. For some reason you've put the prices up by £17 from last seasons game and put it as a Category A game.

Personally I think it's stupid to boycott it, I don't mind it mines gone up by £7 but it's the last game of he season, so if they were proper fans they'd still go! Some fans pay £10 for Boro' away and then pay like £100 for the train so they shouldn't complain.

Would you say it's a coincidence that the worst 3 teams in the premier league this season all play in blue and white hoops / stripes ? And do you think you should take a leaf out of Cardiffs book and play in red?

No, because we all shocking first half of he season had 1 alright month then went down hill again and there was Villa, Stoke, Newcastle, Sunderland... As well, there not in blue. We just didn't do the right thing in the 2 transfer windows. QPR - there camp is messed up stupid wages with players there for the money. Wigan they just had some poor games and poor defence.

And definitely not! Blue and white hoops is our colours and they shouldn't change it. When Cardiff announced that every fan I saw hated it and when they played in there blue kit near the end of the season they were so much happier. The kit didn't get them up the team they had and how they played together go them up.

Why in your opinion is Adam Le Fondre not considered good enough to start week in week out?

I think he is good enough to start week in week out I don't know why he doesn't start and if he moves I don't blame him. Yeah he scores most goals of the bench but that's because he never starts games. Stupid thing happening there.

Why do you consider us rivals?

I don't consider you as rivals personally and I don't know why others do. I say Aldershot are ours but we never play them. When it said on FIFA 11 or 12 that you are our rivals I was like 'what the f**k' because our rivals are between Aldershot, Oxford, and Swindon.

As your fans only appear during the good times, are the majority of them actually inflatable or are they just plastic?

Most of them are inflatable as the average attendance last season was 16/17 thousand but near they end that went up to 22/23 thousand. This season the average as been 23,500- 24,200 (more or less sell out) but those extra fans are all plastic and I hate the lot of them.

Did you think you would be relegated so easily and so early after winning the title last year?

To be honest to didn't. I thought it would comedown to last game or last second from last game and would survive just in 17th but after the first half of he season I thought its gonna be over but I didn't think it would be that early but if we buy well in he summer and play like we have recently I think we could come straight back up.

Which away ground are you looking forward to going to next season?

Bournemouth I've been there in pre-season last year but a league match will be so much better and I think the atmosphere will be great. But also Brighton its a nice stadium and would love to go there.

Do you think Kebe is going to enjoy pulling his socks up in the Championship?

I think he will enjoy it getting players sent off like that dirty player of yours. But that's if ever plays again as he has been out for ages.

If there was a song to describe your season, what would it be?

AfroMan - Because I got high.

Because McDermott must been high when signing Neil Blackman. I didn't see the point on that and Daniel Carriço because he hasn't played football for 6 months and certain players in certain/most games have been awful. This was one big f*ck up like in that song.

And finally, your prediction for the game

I think you'll just squeeze it by one goal and I should go 2-1 to West ham. But as we are your bogey side, I'll say 2-0 Reading!

Many thanks to James for his help.

I would also like to say thanks to every opposition supporter who have taken part in this piece throughout the season.

The View from the opposition has always been an interesting article on WHO but the problem has always been it's frequency as getting opposition fans in such short deadlines is not as easy as I first thought.

All in all we have managed to do 36 view's this season which was pretty good.

This will be my last View From The Opposition and hopefully the article will be taken on by some others next season.

Thank you to everyone who has commented, provided questions, provided opposition supporters or just read the piece.

Record Vs Reading

Played 56 Won 19 Drawn 11 Lost 26
Biggest Victory: 7-0 15th April 1916
Biggest Defeat: 0-6 20th Dec 1902 & 1st Jan 2007

Trivia

* Our first game against Reading came back in 1889 as 3,000 turned up a Elm Park to see Reading beat Thames Ironworks 1-0.

* Trevor Morley was at West Ham from 1989 to 1995 playing 189 times scoring 70 goals before joining Reading on a free transfer. He was Reading's player of the season for season 1996–97.

* Goalkeeper Shaka Hislop started his career at Reading.

While there, he established himself as a firm fan favourite after an uncertain start, twice earning the club's "Player of the Year" award.

He was instrumental in Reading's rise from League 1 (the old 3rd Division) to second place in the Championship (2nd Division), where he narrowly missed out on the Premier League following a 4–3 defeat to Bolton Wanderers in the 1995 play-off final,and was voted the club's Player of the Season in 1994-95.

He joined Newcastle in the Summer of 1995 stayed there for 3 years before joining West Ham in a first of two spells at Upton Park.

He won Hammer Of The Year in 1999 at West Ham and although he left in 2002 he was back at the club in 2006 for a short spell and was in goal for the 2006 FA Cup Final.

All in all Hislop played 157 times for West Ham

* Alan Pardew was manager of Reading before leaving to join West Ham in 2003 in a controversial move to East London.

* Barking-born Ken Bainbridge has the distinction of scoring the fastest goal at the Boleyn Ground, netting just eleven seconds into the Hammers' 2-1 Division Two win over Barnsley on 29 August 1949.

A winger blessed with great pace and an eye for goal, Bainbridge was signed from Leyton, only for his career to be delayed by the Second World War.

Having scored five times in 12 War League South matches, the wideman marked his senior competitive debut with a goal in a 6-0 FA Cup third-round first leg victory over Arsenal in January 1946.

The No11 made his Football League bow in a 3-1 home Division Two win over Millwall on 21 September 1946 - the first of 80 league appearances Bainbridge recorded before leaving east London for Reading in the summer of 1950.

In all, Bainbridge netted 22 goals in 96 War League, Football League and FA Cup appearances in claret and blue.

He passed away in 2011 at the age of 90.

* Alan Wooler began his professional career at Reading and made his debut in December 1971.

Making 38 appearances for Reading he moved on a free transfer to West Ham United in 1973 making his debut on 22 December 1973, as a substitute for Johnny Ayris,in a 2–0 home defeat to Stoke City.

His next appearance came as a replacement for Bobby Moore in the FA Cup third round replay against Hereford United in January 1974.

Between 1974 and 1976 loan periods were arranged with Wooler playing for Boston Minutemen in the NASL.

He made only two more appearances for West Ham before moving to Aldershot in 1976.

* Steve Death was an England schoolboy international who made one League appearance for West Ham before joining Reading, originally on loan, in 1969. He went straight into the team as first choice goalkeeper, and made the position his own for the next ten years with a total of 537 first team appearances.

Death was given a testimonial in the 1979–80 season, with over 7,000 watching his Testimonial Match against a Young England XI managed by his former boss at West Ham, Ron Greenwood. He left the game in 1982 and returned to his native Suffolk. He subsequently returned to Reading to work as a greenkeeper at a local golf course.

He died of cancer in 2003, aged 54.

* Kenny Brown, Hayden Mullins, Jimmy Quinn, Adrian Whitbread, Mark Robson, Les Ferdinand, Steve Mautone, and Terry McDonald have all played for both clubs.