West Ham Utd 1-3 Newcastle Utd (18/01/14)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

westhamerica
Location: the united states of everydayisanewunimaginablehellscape

Re: West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: Match Thread

Post by westhamerica » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Aztec Hammer wrote: For what it's worth, we really were awful. When you see other teams come here and actually pass to each other and move for each other, you realise that
The movement is really appalling. We play in channels, two to three men regularly marking wide players. Credit to Downing again today and all season really, that he even makes space for himself to get balls in sometimes is a sign of his quality.

Sam was doing himself no favors today, as much as throwing on another striker can be seen as an attacking move it basically rendered the midfield useless with Noble and Morrison in there. Couldn't win a second ball for the life of them, and that idea is the tactical basis for his style of play in the first place. There's been a lot of Sam chucking players out there, changing shape this season and hoping for the best, which is really worrying.

smuts

Post by smuts » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Worst moment for me was when we had the ball with no pressure...Rat looked up and hoofed it 60 yards straight into their back four with no West Ham Player within 20 yards of them.

Their CB took it down, strolled forward and knocked it to their midfield to set up another attack.

I feel sorry for Noble, Collison, Morrison in the middle. How are they meant to play football when they are just watching it launched up by the back four?

I don't want Allardyce sacked.............but the difference in style was painful to watch and this was a team relegated not so long ago, now packed with talent in the middle and I think nearly all of them cost less than "Floaty cross" and are probably on less than Joey a week.

We said last year we had one style of play...smack it Carroll to get Nolan to feed on the scraps or get crosses in and we have not changed it at all and teams know what to expect and how to deal with it.

Muddy

Post by Muddy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:45 pm

We were decent in spells. Apart from that, crap!

Any Old Iron

Post by Any Old Iron » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:18 pm

The Geordie pub player looked like the cart horse he is. A dreadful appearance. He desperately needs some game time, but not in the first team please.
I don't want to see Jarvis in a West Ham shirt ever again. It's been clear since he joined that he is nothing better than an ordinary champ player. At prem level he's absolute toilet.
Joe Cole is finished. Shame.
Same goes for Jack. Even more of a shame.
Diame's one lazy fecker.
Allardyce starts out with the wrong line up, yet again. f*** off you bovine berk.

Norwich Iron

Post by Norwich Iron » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:21 pm

We were a ****ing shambles most of the first half. Our defence is rapidly becoming a long running farce. The game was effectively lost before we sorted ourselves out. I have no problem losing to other teams but shagwit Allardyce is setting us up to fail every time we play at home. Midweek is going to be another disaster. Tin hats everyone, a long Winter looms.

Lord Snuffsbury

Post by Lord Snuffsbury » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Any Old Iron wrote:I don't want to see Jarvis in a West Ham shirt ever again.
:lol:

hawkins_hammer

Post by hawkins_hammer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:30 pm

Not getting the stick for Collison at all. He was at least trying to get us to pass it rather than hoof it. Starting to see what Pinky saw in Diame though, awful again. To be honest our style of play isn't making any of our midfielders look good. Downing seems to be a cut above though. We need to stay up just to keep him

Iron Mark

Post by Iron Mark » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Last week Newcastle couldn't understand why they had a goal disallowed, I couldn't understand how 2 of their players weren't sent off. Cabaye was one of them. I wonder if the result would have been different if he wasn't playing.

Downing and Jarvis should have changed wings today, or at least tried switching a couple of times, as it just wasn't working. Get into a decent position then moving back on to their preferred foot and the space was gone again and again.

Valley Hammer

Post by Valley Hammer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Surely one of the worst performances of the season, one big hoof after another. Downing provided Cole and Carroll with open goals on a plate and they still couldn't score.
We won last week but that was against terrible opposition, today we just couldn't cope with Newcastle's passing. They deserved their win.
Don't know where we go from here.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:42 pm

ludo22 wrote:Out of today's line up,J Cole,C Cole,Taylor,Jarvis,Johnson,Diame,Collison are NOT premier league quality.Half the team.And the rest are average premier league.On top of that we have championship owners and a championship manager.Is it really any surprise we are going down?
Yet that "Championship manager" managed to get this "average team" to tenth last year. You can't have it both ways.

I thought we battled well once we'd managed to get a back four that had never previously played together - and included a left winger at right back due to ANOTHER pre-match injury today - settled down. Unfortunately, we were two down by that point and it proved a bridge too far.

All this b*llocks about constant long ball... I swear I saw Downing run at their left back for 90 minutes today. Jarvis less so, but he still put several decent balls in from the left.

Oldun

Post by Oldun » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks for ruining my birthday you c****.

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:47 pm

UTJ, what is your view on it all?

Should we stick? Should we go? Do you think we're playing well? Do you think Allardyce is setting us up right?

You hint your opinion in posts but I can't tell what side of the fence you're on.

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Oldun wrote:Thanks for ruining my birthday you *****.

sorry mate forgot to say happy 75th
Last edited by cockney hammer on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Welling

Post by Welling » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Happy Birthday Oldun. Forget the football and have a nice beer or a decent drop of scotch. :raver:

Welling.

Any Old Iron

Post by Any Old Iron » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Ooh! I'm on tenterhooks. Just what is UTJ's opinion?

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Billydinho wrote:You hint your opinion in posts but I can't tell what side of the fence you're on.
I'm pro-continuity.

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:54 pm

I thought we played well in the 2nd half. Our two strikers just unfortunately let us down today when it mattered

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 pm

As am I but is he the right person for continuity?

I'm sick of bringing a new manager in all the time, it's as muggy as it gets and means the position means nothing.

Saying that, I don't think Allardyce is taking us in a direction we should be heading.

Practice makes permanent; best practice makes perfect.

Oldun

Post by Oldun » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 pm

"]
[quote="cockney hammer

sorry mate forgot to say happy 745th[/quote]

Cheers mate,still had a good day in the overpriced Legends lounge with my son.

MD_HM

Post by MD_HM » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 pm

61dicksey wrote:
Apart from the excessive ticket prices this is one reason we do not go anymore, as you say coke and beer fuelled idiots cnuting this cnuting that , we we're at a game last season , Villa at home when these types started f and c unting , falling over everybody and kissing each other and then had the balls to have a go at everyone for moaning at them.
Thing it's not some 20 kid; it's grown men that should know better.

This bloke has got to be about 40 or thereabouts, god help if he has kids as he has no regards for other people's at the game.

It's all shouting "he's a ****ing c***, I'm real west ham, these people don't know their football like I do, grrrrrr he's a c***, I know my football blah blah blah, that the boys over there etc etc etc..."

See kids turning round looking frightened and most don't want to say anything as he is bound to start a fight.

Sad state of affairs when a couple of dicks ruin it for everyone else, in fairness though had our seats for about 10 years and this is the first time I've ever seen it near us....