West Ham Utd 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur (16/08/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur: Match Thread

Post by smuts »

Monkeybubbles wrote:a stealthy trundle
:lol:

Very good!
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Away from the game, Spurs fans epitomise the Essex mockney, side parting, skinny jeans, brave in numbers d*ckhead you see frequent Nu Bar, Luxx and 195 on a Saturday night.

I really can't f*cking stand them.
Finishing Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Finishing Hammer »

Our game started around the 15th minute mark culminating in sustained pressure and a few decent chances.

Man of the match for me was hard to split between Noble and Kouyate. Noble has that uncanny knack of knowing what is going to happen before most others evidenced by at least 3 interceptions in the middle of the park. Such a pity he didn't score from either the penalty or the shot across Lloris. Only thing I'd like to see is more penetration through the middle with his passes ... but that is probably more to do with the structure than his ability.

Kouyate must have some huge lungs! He impressed me greatly with his willingness to get up and down the pitch regardless of the position he was playing. Would just like to see him turn with the ball as he seemed to want to play the way he was facing.

Downing had a great 30mins in the first half and created a couple of half chances for Cole, Vaz Te and Kouyate. Second half his game was limited to switching play other than his shot and interplay with Nolan for the chance.

I reckon Vaz Te lacks time on the pitch. I counted four chances in the first half and if his timing had have been better with either his volley or header then it could have been game over by half time.

Two points frustrated me with Cole - his control of the ball (or lack thereof) especially in the 18 yard box and his (along with Vaz Te) look of disinterest. If those two showed the same amount as interest as what Kouyate, Cresswell and Valencia did, I'd be a happy camper.

Finally, the substitutions whilst strange and untimely didn't p*ss me off nearly as much as Sam's unwillingness to go at Spurs. Why would you not press higher up the pitch forcing them back with every chance you had, knowing they were playing with only 10 players for over 60 minutes? Sam should have grabbed his balls and gone for a whitewash. Missed opportunity I say.

Overall though I was happy with the football, well at least happier than most of what was served up last year.

Now go and batter Palace!
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

How typically West Ham that the first game of the season, after the gnashing of teeth last season and the desire for Attacking Football, that we should play well and lose.

Echo all the sentiments about the new signings all looks good so far. Thought we looked a bit disjointed going forward.. Hopefully that will settle with game time.

Can't understand the grief Vaz Te gets, he wasn't great but he made a few things happen and had a few chances that with some more composure he'd have buried.

Can't say the same for Cole, thought he was a real waste. Should have had Valencia on much earlier.

Substitutions were a bit strange... ok injury related but I think if he'd have stuck Valencia on 10 mins earlier he'd have displayed more "intention" to the people that need it laying out for them, might just have placated a few.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Sloop John B wrote:Thought we looked a bit disjointed going forward....
Sack Teddy
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

People seem to imply that the likes of Nolan and Vaz Te are made scapegoats.

They aren't. They're just generally the worst performers on the pitch and people wonder why they get picked.

Vaz Te is kopping it because he has such a lazy nature, he doesn't inspire confidence in you and his output is zero. The clamour for him to start last season was borne out of desperation for someone other than the current useless c*nts who were playing to do something to stop us losing and not creating.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Billydinho wrote:People seem to imply that the likes of Nolan and Vaz Te are made scapegoats.

They aren't. They're just generally the worst performers on the pitch and people wonder why they get picked.
Thought Nolan had a good game on Saturday, although his place on the team sheet doesn't reflect where he played on the pitch. Koyoute seemed to have more licence/engine to break forward.

I wonder if the answer is to just swap the names around. Nolan to sit next to Noble (very slow pairing) but they'll have plenty of pace in front of them.
Der-Hammer

Post by Der-Hammer »

Distance covered:
Nolan: 11.5 KM
Kouyate 11.1 KM

Anyone still think that Nolan is fat or lazy?
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Der-Hammer wrote:Distance covered:
Kouyate 11.1 KM

Means very little really. Doubt if Bobby Moore ever covered more than 1 mile in a game.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Der-Hammer wrote: Anyone still think that Nolan is fat or lazy?
Anyone that does has a personal problem with the bloke.

He works as hard as anyone.
njs2006
Total likes: 1 like

Post by njs2006 »

The worst thing about the team is their lack of movement off the ball and showing for a short, simple pass. Noble is probably the only player in the team that follows his pass and tries to open the game up.

Those saying that Nolan had a good game, please explain why and what he actually did, as I'm struggling with this one. :?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Kouyate 11.1 KM

He strolls around to keep up the figures while the other players save their energy, that's why he's huffing and puffing in the 2nd half.

Carlton does more but they fiddle his stats FACT
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Upon release julian assange was asked "did you watch any premiership football while in self exile" he answered " yes and my favourite player is definitely erik lamella because we have both been in hiding for two years and will soon be sent back to our home country
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

Kouyate 11.1 KM

Seriously, where do these stats come from?

They don't point out that, despite this alleged running, he was a yard behind the pace of the game.

He passes the buck. Leaves a ball for someone in a worse position, puts across a sh*t pass to put someone else under pressure.

The bloke is a waste of space. He's so easily replaceable, great captain or not.
riksdodgydeals

Post by riksdodgydeals »

Kayoute looked good, an upgrade on Diame
Creswell looked good, didnt realise he was so small
Valencia looked up for it and got a great reception

Nolan I cant remember doing anything of note other than his involvement in the pen
Carlton was behind the midfield most of the game
Vaz was appaling

To me it looked like we set up for the draw, which is fine I would have been happy with that, but not with a man advantage for so long. It still looked like we wanted nil nil there was no movement. No doubt Sam will use his "its harder to play against ten men" but for gods sake if we are setting up to play on the counter get Downing on the left, thoise extra few seconds to cut onto his stronger foot are costing us, not his fault if thats where he is told to play

Was in the Alpari and wasnt a fan of the guy taking photos presumably of us standing to send snide letters, I was only standing cos I couldnt see, its a bit rich telling everyone to sit when 3 seats away there are about 7k all standing for the whole game
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Vaz Te yeah, Nolan not so much.

I'm not surprised by those stats. As I said, Nolan had to pick up Vaz Te's mistakes, because he's too lazy to win back his own ball.

Certainly wasn't his worst performance. The problem is, he can be a passenger sometimes. I don't think he should be dropped, no need to. He still offers a goal threat, a leader on the pitch, and against Tottenham was putting his foot in.

For me the team that played against Tottenham for Crystal Palace would be fine (Excluding Collins), if Zarate replaces Vaz Te. Or Valencia, or Jarvis or anyone who will actually try, and offer us something else going forward.
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

The problem with Nolan, Vaz Te and Carlton was that they where not what was needed for that game in that situation. Imho.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Kouyate 11.1 KM

Nolan only cops it cos he's seen as Sams man. He also nearly scored when he won the penalty and got their player sent off and gave a great touch to put Downing through on goal.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Kouyate 11.1 KM

I could probably walk 11.5 KM in an hour and a half.
I don't want to have a dig, but the running was noticably different.
Others have said that with the inclusion of Kouyate, Nolan can concentrate on being closer to the striker.
Unfortunatrly this hasn't happened in the last 2 games, he has actually played deeper than normal.
Which is strange.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Kouyate 11.1 KM

No just crap at football.