West Ham Utd 2-0 Leicester City (20/12/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Leicester City: match thread

Post by fjthegrey »

I'm going to this and I have every intention of seeing us win in emphatic style.

5-0, someone to score a hat trick and Song with 4 assists.
Wildy

Post by Wildy »

I don't want Carroll dropped, but I think he could do with a rest before the Chelsea and Arsenal games.

Carroll will cause more problems for Chelsea and especially Arsenal, whereas v Leicester, we should be fine with Valencia and Sakho up front.
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Dyer's Leg wrote:Christ on a bike. Unbeaten in 4, 4th in the league, and some people still have the knives out for Carroll and Nolan, despite the pair of them being involved in this amazing run we are having.
Is there any material difference between stating a preference for Valencia over Carroll than your preference for Carroll over Valencia and Zarate as mentioned in your next post? If there is I can't see what it is
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

I'd like Amalfitano back in for this one.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

The Carroll/Sakho pairing has played together for just one and a half games. It looks a threatening combination to me to me and should be given an extended run.

I think the only way to improve the team is to not start Kayoute and Nolan together. We cant afford two non creative players in midfield.....In Noble's absence either Kayoute or Nolan should pair with Song at the back leaving room for a flair player even though Morgan and Zarate havent yet convinced in that position.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

WorcesterWHU wrote:I'd like Amalfitano back in for this one.
Yeah I think swapping out Nolan for Amalfitano/Zarate makes sense as they will most likely look to come and sit back and be solid and we could use some energy and trickery to pull them around the pitch.
EssexHammer1994

Post by EssexHammer1994 »

I agree with the majority on here. Amalfitano & Valencia in Carroll & Nolan out.

Been very happy with Carrolls performances over the last few games, however I feel the Valencia/sakho combination is more suited to this game & Carroll more suited to the Chels & Arsenal games. He has played a lot of minutes recently after being out for a long period of time, so would be a good opportunity for a rest.

3-0 to the Hammers, Pearson sacked not long after. :crest:
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Sloop John B wrote:
Yeah I think swapping out Nolan for Amalfitano/Zarate makes sense as they will most likely look to come and sit back and be solid and we could use some energy and trickery to pull them around the pitch.
Yup, I'd think it could probably be Nolan to make way (if only to keep him fresh for the likely backs-to-the-wall job at Stamford Bridge) but Amalfitano could easily come in for Kouyate too, IMO.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

We start playing well and you all forget Carlton Goal, shame on you all
Markt85

Post by Markt85 »

steveyrockstar wrote:
Why when fans suggest bringing other players into the side is it immediately assumed by others that they're suggesting that they think the ones they want dropped are ****?

I personally would like to see Valencia and Sakho reunited up front. THat in no way suggests that I don't rate Carroll, who I'm a stuanch supporter of, or appreciate he's been very effective for us. Similar for Nolan. See my post above for why I think we should consider changes
Fair enough and take it back. Just felt earlier in the thread the usual knives were out for Carrol and Nolan.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

WorcesterWHU wrote:Yup, I'd think it could probably be Nolan to make way (if only to keep him fresh for the likely backs-to-the-wall job at Stamford Bridge) but Amalfitano could easily come in for Kouyate too, IMO.
A fair few grumbles about Kouyate on Saturday but I thought he was good. I'm not sure he is (or is playing) as the box-to-box midfielder he looked like at the start of the season, seems to be doing that midfield destroyer role very well. And with Song, he can be a bit more reserved and disciplined.
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Sloop John B wrote: A fair few grumbles about Kouyate on Saturday but I thought he was good. I'm not sure he is (or is playing) as the box-to-box midfielder he looked like at the start of the season, seems to be doing that midfield destroyer role very well. And with Song, he can be a bit more reserved and disciplined.
It's strange how sometimes even a short injury break can change a player's form - it already seems weird that when he was injured before Man City it felt like we'd lost our best player. He's certainly doing nothing wrong at the moment, he just hasn't been as eye-catching as in the pre-season or his first few league games.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Wildy wrote:I don't want Carroll dropped, but I think he could do with a rest before the Chelsea and Arsenal games.

Carroll will cause more problems for Chelsea and especially Arsenal, whereas v Leicester, we should be fine with Valencia and Sakho up front.
I'd go the other way personally.

That is, I'd play Carroll & Sahko against Leicester, and maybe rest Carroll against Chelsea

Against Chelsea, we'll probably have 9 outfield players behind the ball a lot of the time. If we're going to have just one player staying up field, I wouldn't go for Carroll, but someone more mobile. Someone who will take up positions all over the shop, rather than someone who will battle against 2 CB's. I do feel Carroll has suffered (and the team in general) from us playing this way in the past, where he gets so isolated that he has little chance to do anything when he occasionally does get the ball. I'd go for a more mobile option, so we can play a quick counter attacking game, rather than hoping Carroll can hold the ball up long enough for support to arrive.

In an ideal world, we'd attack Leicester from the off, and be in a comfortable enough position to take Carroll off after an hour. And look for him to come on as a sub against Chelsea if the game is there to be nicked in the last half hour.

As for the midfield, against Leicester, I wouldn't be too concerned about playing our best 4 midfielders. I mean, if Nobes is anything less than 100%, save him for the Chelsea game. Same for any of them really. I'd be looking to play Amalfitano, as he could probably do with a game, but I'd be looking to find a balance between picking a midfield to dominate Leicester, and making sure everyone is as fresh as possible for the games after
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Adrian
Jenks Tomkins Reid Cresswell
Noble
Song Kouyate
Downing
Sakho Valencia

Our strongest team, COYI :scarfer:
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

irving boleyn wrote:The Carroll/Sakho pairing has played together for just one and a half games. It looks a threatening combination to me to me and should be given an extended run.

I think the only way to improve the team is to not start Kayoute and Nolan together. We cant afford two non creative players in midfield.....In Noble's absence either Kayoute or Nolan should pair with Song at the back leaving room for a flair player even though Morgan and Zarate havent yet convinced in that position.
I'd go with something lke Cresswell, Jenkinson, Reid, Tomkins, Song, Nolan then Downing, Carrol, Valencia and Sakho that would be an awesome attack and must be worth playing against a team like Leicester. :scarfer:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

We should pepper Konchesky. West ham fan or not, he is one of the worst full backs I have ever seen.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I said previously and I stand by it.. Zarate needs a game

we have a january coming up without Sakho so zarate will need to be match sharp should anything happen to valencia or carroll

This is the perfect game to give him a run out
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

^^ Valencia and Zarate, without Kasper, we need to be firing as many shots as possible at the sub goalie. I would like to think Zarate will be able to find some room in this game also, there is no doubt u give this boy some room he will do something deadly.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 766 likes
Total likes: 3503 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

steveyrockstar wrote:Based on evidence this year, Sakho and Valencia appear to be a more potent and dynamic strike duo than AC paired with one of the others.
What evidence, Stevey? As mentioned, Carroll is yet to play with either for a full 90 minutes. Here's a fact/some evidence for you. Carroll has two goals in four starts. Valencia has two goals from 10.
steveyrockstar wrote:For example, it may be considered that someone like Zarate and Amalfitano could sparkle against Leicester
No Carlton Cole? After all, he has scored as many goals as Zarate this season - in fewer starts.
westham,eggyandchips wrote:We should pepper Konchesky. West ham fan or not, he is one of the worst full backs I have ever seen.
Over 500 appearances in the top flight of English football for the likes of Tottenham, West Ham and Liverpool says you might be struggling with that one.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:We should pepper Konchesky. West ham fan or not, he is one of the worst full backs I have ever seen.
I reckon I can think of plenty that have played for us that were worse.