ELQ3: Astra Giurgiu 2-1 West Ham Utd (06/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mooro_1984

Re: FC Astra Giurglu v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by mooro_1984 »

The problem the manager is facing is the fact this competition is getting in the way of him being able to work with his players in a way that puts them in a position to start the season well.

We win on Thurs, we then have 2 more games before we even get to the group stages. More travelling, more rest days, less time on the training ground.

Personally, I am not fussed in the slightest if we go out. Would rather have a go vs Arsenal.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

mooro_1984 wrote:The problem the manager is facing is the fact this competition is getting in the way of him being able to work with his players in a way that puts them in a position to start the season well.

We win on Thurs, we then have 2 more games before we even get to the group stages. More travelling, more rest days, less time on the training ground.

Personally, I am not fussed in the slightest if we go out. Would rather have a go vs Arsenal.
Should be fun for you when we lose both then
GwentHammers
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by GwentHammers »

Tomorrow 8am

Any clue who is going ?

if not anyone work at the airport !!
mooro_1984

Post by mooro_1984 »

I fully expect us to lose both don't worry pal.

Just rather prepare for 2 winnable home games than travel to f*** knows where in Europe to lose again...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Nobes..Adrian...and the developement squad.

For all those saving up for the group stages.....schoolboy error ! :D
WH_Olympic
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by WH_Olympic »

Adrian

Jenkinson - Ogbonna - Henry - Cresswell

Noble - Kouyate

Zarate - Payet - Lanzini

Sakho

Come absolutely flying out of the blocks and get one or two away goals.
Bring on Oxford or Poyet on for Payet early in the 2nd half and do a professional job of shutting out the rest of the game. We've lacked composure so far and need Bilic to show some proper game-management in Romania. Hoping Slaven and boys really give this a proper good effort.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Send a weak team out to Romania and go out and we're still favourites to lose with a full team at Arsenal. So two games (probably) lost in three days and a big hullabaloo about team selection before the season's two minutes old. But if we send a decent team out to play in the EL, even if we go out and then lose at Arsenal that early season row is avoided. Most fans will just be happy we gave it a proper go.

Bilic has got a hard enough job on his hands this season at it is without there being discontent in early August as well.
Last edited by DaveWHU1964 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

mooro_1984 wrote:The problem the manager is facing is the fact this competition is getting in the way of him being able to work with his players in a way that puts them in a position to start the season well.

That is obviously very true and no doubt how Bilic views it himself. It has come too soon for us, but so has the league games judging by that logic. We'd be mad not to give it our best shot, as the added payment, extra matches, experience and excitement would weigh up for the lack of stability by traveling.
Pulls up Trees
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Strange considering that the rule of thumb is that starting competitive games earlier is conducive to a great start to the League. His problem was that he played the numpties in these early games rather than the first teamers so he negated this advantage. Our primary XI will now be as fit/unfit as any other Premier league team not involved in the early stages of European competition.
mooro_1984

Post by mooro_1984 »

I just cant help but feel so, so sure if we got through to the group stages (massive if), it would f*** our season.

Nobody knows but I just don't like the thought of it at all.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

GwentHammers wrote:Any clue who is going ?

if not anyone work at the airport !!
Tomorrow, 8am
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

mooro_1984 wrote:I just cant help but feel so, so sure if we got through to the group stages (massive if), it would **** our season.

Nobody knows but I just don't like the thought of it at all.
f*** our season how though? Demote us from 10th place to 14th? To me the cups are what it's all about. Billic would have to have one hell of a nightmare to get us relegated
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Shame on you for wanting us out of Europe, really can't wait to finish mid table and celebrate mediocrity again :thdn:
Bergen Hammer

Post by Bergen Hammer »

What season? There is a very little difference between ending 16th and 8th in the long term anyway, and this year we are in a massive transition, and next year we move which will have it's own little problems.

Unless we seriously think we might end up in a relegation scrap this season, we should enjoy and learn as much from this competition as we possibly can imo.
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

We don't (at the moment) have the depth of squad quality to maintain the highest levels of performance in every competition but having lucked our way into Europe we'd be mad not to make the most of it - after all it's a target we'd all aspire to from the league anyway. And if we'd qualified through league performance would we still be treating this as a secondary fixture as the same squad depth issues would likely exist?

With Arsenal away 3 days later, regardless of Bilics squad choice, unless we learn to defend or find them out of sorts (unlikely) historically suggests we'll get little or no return. - I'd much rather we throw it all at Thursday night cause Sunday afternoon will take care of itself.
mooro_1984

Post by mooro_1984 »

Oh here we go.

Chill out. If we win I will be pleased dont worry.
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4EDGG95mM

The spirit of Metz. We've got this, boys!
badgers1

Post by badgers1 »

I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of those wanting us out of Europe have got no interest whatsoever in travelling to any of our away games.
mooro_1984

Post by mooro_1984 »

Wrong, dipstick.

Dont talk nonsense.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Romford wrote:Nobes..Adrian...and the developement squad.

For all those saving up for the group stages.....schoolboy error ! :D
Been saving for the group stage since it was announced. I'd be absolutely gutted if we go out, really would. As opposed to some on here