West Ham Utd 1-2 Leicester City (15/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Re: West ham United v Leicester City: Match Thread

Post by upton o'good »

hammers92 wrote:There's a big selection dilemma here. With Jenkinson back, out of Tomkins, Ogbonna or Reid do you pick for the two slots at CB? Or would you keep Tomkins at RB? Someone won't be happy next Saturday, about time we had this choice in defence
Tomkins on the bench. CB pairing were excellent, he was played at rb but isnt one...So jenks comes in.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

shirkhammer wrote:Don't change a winning team is my view.
:crest:
The Liverpool mantra from their glory years (when squads were smaller): you always change a winning team.

Think about it - otherwise you are just waiting to stop winning...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Two of Leicesters goals came from crosses on their left flank, though in fairness it's hard to over emphasise just how poor Sunderland were .I watched the game and their defending was keystone kops stuff .

I'd bring Jenkinson in at RB and play Jarvis as well to keep them pinned back .

4-3-3

-----------------------------------Adrian----------------------------------

Jenks---------------------Reid--------Tomkins----------Cresswell

Oxford----------------------------Noble----------------------Kouyate

Jarvis------------------------------Sakho---------==----------Payet

Or, alternatively 3-5-2

---------------------------------------Adrian----------------------------------

----------------Tomkins--------------Reid--------------Ogbonna---------

Jenkinson-------Oxford------------Noble-----Kouyate---------Cresswell

--------------------------------------Payet---------Sakho-------------------------
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

You seem to have accidentally left our goal scoring hero Zarate out of your line ups pinks :wink:
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Really think this will be a good game of football. Leicester are flying if you take into account how they finished last season and even when they came to ours last season they were quite game going forward - suffered from being a bit naïve and not having anyone to put it away. They've got some very decent players (Mahrez looks excellent) and I reckon they'll have a go at us again, which should hopefully make for a good game.

I agree that the only change open to question is Jenko for Tomkins. To be honest I wouldn't be too unhappy to see Tomka keep his place - would send out a message to the squad that if you play well you'll play next week, and also make Jenko aware he's got competition there. Perhaps it'd also make sense if we think Leicester will play expansively?... maybe counter-attacking a la Gooners might make sense?

That said, Jenko makes sense in terms of going forward, and to be honest at home we should probably (nearly always) play to our own strengths rather than any nullifying of the opposition (I think this should only really be part of the mind-set against the very top clubs and even then selectively...after all 'being ourselves' worked out fine v City and the Mickeys!). Also Tomka on the bench allows us to cover both RB and CB, meaning space for another attacking sub, especially at home. So on balance, would like to see Jenkinson come in, but perfectly content as well if Slav wants to keep a winning team together.

Can't wait... gonna get the early train up from Poole to allow decent pub time and also avoid the swarm of rugger-buggers heading for Twickenham.

2-1 or 3-1 in a good old ding-dong against a decent in-form team.

COYI :scarfer:
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

Keep the lineup exactly the same!

:scarfer:
jevs
Has liked: 477 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by jevs »

upton o'good wrote: The Liverpool mantra from their glory years (when squads were smaller): you always change a winning team.

Think about it - otherwise you are just waiting to stop winning...
Spot on. Hopefully Slav would've done his homework and will tweak the team accordingly. If that doesn't work, he should at the very least, have a plan B and C up his sleeve.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Wouldnt mind a different formation at home provide a bit more width

----------------------------Adrian

----------Tomkins--------Reid------Ogbonna

Jenkinson------Noble-----Koyoute---------Cresswell

---------------------------Payet--------

---------------Zarate----------------Sahko

Playing with Wing backs would allow Cresswell and Jenks to bomb forward to provide service to sakho without having to worry too much about defensive duties as they would have plenty of cover behind in the back 3.

Noble could be a deep lying play maker spraying the ball wide to jenks and cress.

Payet to provide creative spark and koyoute to be the engine
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1327 likes

Post by davids cross »

From memory...

I think we have won/taken more points from Leicester City than any other team in the whole of our footballing life.

Well, it used to be I think.......when I was little.

Something like that anyway.... :)
Belchio

Post by Belchio »

Mumbles

That formation is pure class.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Belchio wrote:Mumbles

That formation is pure class.

----------------------------Adrian

----------Tomkins--------Reid------Ogbonna

Jenkinson------Noble-----Koyoute---------Cresswell

---------------------------Payet--------

---------------Zarate----------------Sahko

I really do think it would be more than enough to get us 6 points from the next 2 games and then we can revert back to the first formation we used against the gooners for the liverpool away game where we would need to be more compact
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Pink, you'd play Jarvis to hold back one of their wingers :lol:

If we are scared of Leicester at Home after beating Arsenal away I'm not the most irritating **** on this site.

Thank god you ain't our manager as Jarvis should never start games for us.
Strawbz15

Post by Strawbz15 »

Think he will play Oxford again? Might throw him in my fantasy team...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

West Ham Matt wrote: Thank god you ain't our manager as Jarvis should never start games for us.
I agree .

Who else we got , and be very sure where there threat comes from .I've deployed a specific measure to counter that threat .

Leicester, on a rolling basis, remain the form team in the top flight , treat the game lightly at our peril .
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

We beat Arsenal 2-0 at theirs and people want changes?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Estuary wrote:We beat Arsenal 2-0 at theirs and people want changes?
yes, Tomkins at right back against leicester might be too much. Arsenal try the killer pass a lot and like to work through defenses.. we basically defended with 2 banks of 4 against them. Against leicester we will be at home and on the attack more meaning our full backs will be more exposed. Leicester also like to attack with width unlike arsenal so we need a professional right back in the team
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Jarvis is weak in the tackle and I'd rather us have players on the pitch who can keep possession, instead of run down dead ends and then cross out for a goal kick.

We always look worse whenever he plays, he is a championship player at best.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

Looking forward to this. I hope we can make the Boleyn rock and we can burst Leicester's bubble after their whooping of a poor Sundaerland side.
My heart says Tomkins but my head says Jenks. Jenks ability to attack wins it for me, but not so sure how match fit he is?
Samo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Samo »

I'm not overly impressed by Leicester, last season was a great run of form at the end, but they were fighting relegation. Then only managed a 2-1 win against us at theirs in during that form run, when we was at our worst last season. They put 4 past Sunderland but conceded 2 to arguably the worst side in the league. Personally think Payet, Sakho and Zarate will have a field day and easy afternoon for Adrian and co at the back. Not being arrogant !
They are talking about they should put 3 at the back and they'll beat us 3-1, fair enough their opinion, but with only 3 at the back i think they'll make it easy for Payet. They are talking about playing a wide and smashing us for pace on the flanks, The Boleyn Ground has one of the most narrow pitches in the league, good luck. But that's my opinion for what it's worth.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:
I agree .

Who else we got , and be very sure where there threat comes from .I've deployed a specific measure to counter that threat .

Leicester, on a rolling basis, remain the form team in the top flight , treat the game lightly at our peril .
I read a very good point about the players under Bilic. They are supposed to be rejuvenated by the idea that they spend the week leading up to the game talking about what they can do to hurt the other side, rather than Allardyce's 'what can we do to stop the other side hurting us'.

Putting out a team with Jarvis is giving the impetus to the opposition. In essence saying, we aren't going to be hurting you in his position, but we'll try to shore it up defensively over there with his tracking back.

I'd much rather put out the team we comfortably beat Arsenal with.

How can we hurt them first, then how can we stop them hurting us second.