West Ham Utd 1-2 Leicester City (15/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Re: West ham United v Leicester City: Match Thread

Post by stu1 »

Samo wrote: They are talking about they should put 3 at the back and they'll beat us 3-1, fair enough their opinion, but with only 3 at the back i think they'll make it easy for Payet. They are talking about playing a wide and smashing us for pace on the flanks, The Boleyn Ground has one of the most narrow pitches in the league, good luck. But that's my opinion for what it's worth.
I'd agree with most of that.

Jenkinson is a must for the game based on the way Leicester play as he's one the fastest full backs in the league (and a proper right back). If Leicester think they can expose him for pace they are in for a shock, admittedly they could get to Tomkins that way as he seems to get square too often when playing in the right back role but I'd be shocked if he starts. Similarly Cresswell is far from being slow.
GingerJohn

Post by GingerJohn »

I was close with my 1-2 vs the arse... I'll go with a 3-1 this week. I don't think thell handle Payet. Sakho brace & payet. :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

mumbles87 wrote:Wouldnt mind a different formation at home provide a bit more width

----------------------------Adrian

----------Tomkins--------Reid------Ogbonna

Jenkinson------Noble-----Koyoute---------Cresswell

---------------------------Payet--------

---------------Zarate----------------Sahko

That is some line - up , Mr Mumbles , I like it , hopefully Slaven is reading this !

We lost far too many goals last season , silly goals especially late on , that line up while it looks quite defensive minded is also attack minded with the two full backs bombing up the flanks while the defence is ably protected by Kouyate and Noble - I was most impressed with Tomkins' feet on Sunday , very competent , every ball found a man - the new ' Beckenbauer ' in front of Reid and Ogbonna ?? :)

ps forgot the prediction -

West Ham United 3 Leicester City 0
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:

That is some line - up , Mr Mumbles , I like it , hopefully Slaven is reading this !

We lost far too many goals last season , silly goals especially late on , that line up while it looks quite defensive minded is also attack minded with the two full backs bombing up the flanks while the defence is ably protected by Kouyate and Noble - I was most impressed with Tomkins' feet on Sunday , very competent , every ball found a man - the new ' Beckenbauer ' in front of Reid and Ogbonna ?? :)

ps forgot the prediction -

West Ham United 3 Leicester City 0
Considering Tomkins played RB sunday very well and Ogbonna can apparently fill in there it would give us so much flexiabilty with this formation. Whatever side they attack down tomkins or ogbonna act as the full back giving jenks and cresswell time to bomb back
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

mumbles87 wrote: ----------------------------Adrian

This guy knows! :thup:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

We shouldn't get too over confident with this one. Leicester look dangerous on the break and showed good movement when attacking. Sunderlands defenders couldn't cope with them at all.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Pretty sure in the time since we lost to them last season that they've picked up the most points of any side in the whole league or something silly like that. They're a very good side.

Jenkinson in would be the only change I'd make.
EssexHammer1994

Post by EssexHammer1994 »

Burnley Hammer wrote:We shouldn't get too over confident with this one. Leicester look dangerous on the break and showed good movement when attacking. Sunderlands defenders couldn't cope with them at all.
Sunderland's defence wouldn't be able to cope against Leyton Orient!
Pepin

Post by Pepin »

mumbles87 wrote:Wouldnt mind a different formation at home provide a bit more width

This! I like it as well.
Obiang is probably not fit yet. Lanzini could come for Zarate during the game. And we would have Oxford, Jarvis, Maiga on the bench too.
This formation is however something we are not used to and from my experience it takes some time to get it working efectively. But as I said - I would give it a go.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Pepin wrote:This! I like it as well.
Obiang is probably not fit yet. Lanzini could come for Zarate during the game. And we would have Oxford, Jarvis, Maiga on the bench too.
This formation is however something we are not used to and from my experience it takes some time to get it working efectively. But as I said - I would give it a go.
The idea is good but like you say, it's something we are not used to and would probably be too risky unless it's something they've been working on in training. Leicester look very sharp attacking, and our defenders are going to need to be equally sharp and know their jobs well. I'd stick to the same team as Arsenal with the exception of Jenkinson at right back.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

The secret to Leicester is the tempo....we must be ready for a very quick start from them. You know they are going to come at you

Pick them off with quality.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

They are full of pace so Jenkinson will come in handy.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Happy with the same team.

Jenkinson may provide more of an attacking threat than Tomkins but his defending isn't great and Leicester like to overload the flanks with Mahrez, Schlupp etc

Happy to forego a bit of width going forward and play more through the middle with Payet and Zarate

3 at the back at home is ok at home if you have midfielders/ wingers in the wingback role, but no interest in playing 3 at the back with fullbacks in the wing-back position. That is basically 5 at a the back in my eyes. Cresswell could just about pull it off, but Jenkinson doesn't have the technical ability going forward to make it work. For me, it just means you sacrifice attacking players
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Wouldn't be greatly surprised to see Tomkins in Oxford's position.
sandro

Post by sandro »

Adrian
Jenks Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
Tonka
Kouyaté Nobes
Payet Zarate
Sakho

Randolph Collins Oxford Obiang Nolan Jarvis Lanzini
Pepin

Post by Pepin »

bubbles1966 wrote:Wouldn't be greatly surprised to see Tomkins in Oxford's position.
Right, this gives a sence as well.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

mumbles87 wrote:

I'm another fan of your team Mumbles. :thup:

It's fair to say I have considerable reservations over Zarate but even so I think it would be unfair to drop him after his start to the season and frankly we haven't currently got anyone who is fit enough to challenge him just yet. I'd definitely play Jenks and after the job he did at the Emirates, Oxford too. Despite his age he doesn't come across as the sort of character that we need to go too gently with just yet.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:
I'm another fan of your team Mumbles. :thup:

It's fair to say I have considerable reservations over Zarate but even so I think it would be unfair to drop him after his start to the season and frankly we haven't currently got anyone who is fit enough to challenge him just yet. I'd definitely play Jenks and after the job he did at the Emirates, Oxford too. Despite his age he doesn't come across as the sort of character that we need to go too gently with just yet.
2 assists and 2 goals so far aint it? just if he can cut down on the selfish dribbling and be more like Payet with his runs we would have another little gem. Between him, Payet, and Lanzini I think we have some real spark to the team this year.. flair central
beckton

Post by beckton »

bubbles1966 wrote:Wouldn't be greatly surprised to see Tomkins in Oxford's position.

I hope not. We got away with Tomkins at right back against Arsenal. He's neither a RB or a DM for me.
ajhammer

Post by ajhammer »

beckton wrote:
I hope not. We got away with Tomkins at right back against Arsenal. He's neither a RB or a DM for me.
I agree he played well but isn't a right back and arsenal didn't exploit that the couple of times he got done for pace he had to resort to stupid fouls. Having just watched the Leicester highlights on match of the day sunderlands defending really did look terrible but I'm confident in our back 5
3-1 westham