Manchester City 1-2 West Ham Utd (19/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerofthedogs
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: Manchester City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by hammerofthedogs »

Just got back from yet another cracking awayday. Knackered from the drive but buzzing and need to watch on Sky (which is just about to start) before calling it a day.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 805 likes
Total likes: 3022 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

That second half was a much bigger battering than Arsenal gave us in the Rob Green match .

All the action was down the far end and we were saying for a full 45 minutes "you can feel a goal coming for them" .

But we held out , and laughed the whole way home .

Awesome stuff from Reid today .
Upton Mark.

Post by Upton Mark. »

Love this ... So upbeat and honest ! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34191909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

the pink palermo wrote:That second half was a much bigger battering than Arsenal gave us in the Rob Green match .

All the action was down the far end and we were saying for a full 45 minutes "you can feel a goal coming for them" .

But we held out , and laughed the whole way home .

Awesome stuff from Reid today .
Me and my brother were also just comparing it to said Arsenal game and couldn't decide which one was worse for being under the cosh! It's funny because it didn't look too bad on MOTD but when I was actually watching it live on sky today the second half felt like 45 minutes of relentless pressure. Not a nice feeling but one you have to go through if you are going to pull off a result somewhere like that. Either way, Adrian certainly had less saves to make than Rob Green did that day.
essexhammer90
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by essexhammer90 »

So chuffed right now. We rode our luck a bit but any side that gets a result there will have to, including the big sides. We took our chances well - fantastic goal by Moses - and defended heroically in times in the second half. Thought Noble and Reid were outstanding.

If Aguero had his shooting boots on it might have been a different game, but that's the way it goes.

Great to see Bilic resisting the urge to go too defensive with his substitutions too. We were struggling to keep them at bay as it was and I think sitting back any further could have backfired.

First away I've done since Lusitans in Andorra, certainly very different games!

:scarfer:
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Monkey Magic wrote:We go second with a win.
We certainly are :scarfer:
Spex

Post by Spex »

Most amazing three wins in 45 years of watching.

Sam must be reaching for the whisky tumbler and revolver.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

ladies and gentlemen..i've had about 12 jagerbombs, ten beers, a bacardi coke and a burger..did pass the ice cube with 3 girls and i feel great!!!! this night is one of the best of me life and i can't pomp my chest enough to feel so proud about MY club..my true and only love..the other day I was in the gym and had my WHU home shirt on..3 strangers came up to me and padded me on the back for our liverpool result..expect more come monday!
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

The first goal is an absolute gem. I've re run it this morning to pick it out. It is the epitome of everything that is good about us right now. A team goal involving 13 passes and all outfield players.

Allow me: 4:46 minutes played, Reid intercepts up a stray pass to the left and in front of his own box facing forward. Reid to Payet, to Obiang, to Cresswell, to Lanzini, to Obiang, to Noble, to Obiang, who switches the play across the field to Tomkins (now edge of box to the right). Tomkins plays central to Noble, to Obiang. At this point there is applause from a knowledgeable part of the crowd at the football they have just seen. Obiang passes to Lanzini who flicks it up slightly to Payet who is just inside the City half facing his own goal. Payet controls, turns, finds space and sets off towards the box and feeds Moses. Moses promplty receives, turns, picks up momentum and shoots from outside the box on the right and scores at 5:21 mins!

The moment Moses receives the ball, there were two wide options making themselves available. Jenkinson had raced down the right wing, and got in front of Moses, looking for the overlap. Sakho was wide left ready to pick up a ball played behind the defence into the box. By the time Moses shot, we had those two players in the box and Payet following up in the D.

Effectively all 10 outfield players were involved in the build up to the goal. The ball was played around with pace and control. Each pass was precise and no Man City player got near it at any time. It is as perfect a team goal as any manager could wish for.

Funny thing was listening to the commentators who did not once mention anything about the play going on in front of them. Kevin Chilblain was pratting on about how it can sometimes be difficult to play when you turned up thinking you would be on the bench and went into stunned silence as the ball flew in. Up until the goal they had mentioned the fact that this was the most expensive team ever to start in the Premier League time and time again!
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

[To the tune of Can't Buy Me Love]

They bought you a super team my friend
But they what they bought can't beat West Ham.
We may not have a lot my friend,
But what we've got will do just fine.

We don't care too much for money
Money can't beat West Ham

Can't beat West Ham
Can't beat West Ham
Money can't beat West Ham

[Tin hat on and not giving up the day job just yet!!].
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

I am over the (blue) moon. Fantastic result. Well done to Slaven and every single player out there today.They all worked their b*llocks off. Tremendous performance. A bit of Rourke's Drift about the second half but we defended superbly. Winston Reid was absolutely outstanding.
Champions League here we come.... :crest:
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

I want to have Winston's babys
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

We've really missed Kevin Nolan's leadership qualities these past few games
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

hawkins_hammer wrote:We've really missed Kevin Nolan's leadership qualities these past few games
Haha.
Some will say that is unnecessary, but I've always thought his supposed great leadership was mostly just shouting at people and the ref. The real trouble was when people started using his 'leadership skills' alone as a reason for him continuing to play every week.
Anyway, probably better to appreciate the captain we have now instead.
TSmitty
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by TSmitty »

Up the Junction wrote:One player who perhaps hasn't been mentioned as much as one or two others is Lanzini. I don't think any of us were expecting too much from him, but he's played a vital (if a little unnoticed) role for us in a couple of big wins now.
I said on Saitch when he first played that for no real reason I liked him a lot and he'll be a monster for us. He just "looked a right un" He runs all day, mostly in the right places and for a little lad he doesn't seem intimidated by man nor beast. Neither of his goals were flukes, and one day this season he's going to come through for us big time. We should buy him first chance we get before he does more and the price goes up, which it will. If you watch him he's one of these smiley buggers too. Normally I'm not keen on people who smile all the time but he genuinely seems to be up all the time.
bender
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by bender »

The start to this season, it's all a bit deja vu....first win of the season London team away,same as last year...lose first 2 home league games, same as last year....put 3 past Liverpool, beat city 2-1.....groundhog seasom? If so I'm sodding off in January.....
thegaffer

Post by thegaffer »

My son is Jamie Osman is Head of Performance Analyst at West Ham. On Friday we were given some devastating news that he needs a kidney transplant. This has come as a massive shock to us as Jamie was fit and healthy but it seems from tests he's had something wrong with his kidneys since birth and because of his fitness nothing was ever picked up. He is at the Royal London Hospital and just starting dialysis before searching for a suitable donor. Yesterday he was meant to be at the game but obviously because of what's happened in the last 24 hours we watched the game against Man City on his laptop from his hospital bed and to see his face at the final whistle after the past couple of traumatic days was better than any medicine and so I would like to take this opportunity to thank the West Ham players for their effort to achieve this fantastic win and also to thank the club for the supporting messages from staff and management. Dave and Debbie Osman COYI
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

thegaffer wrote:My son is Jamie Osman is Head of Performance Analyst at West Ham. On Friday we were given some devastating news that he needs a kidney transplant. This has come as a massive shock to us as Jamie was fit and healthy but it seems from tests he's had something wrong with his kidneys since birth and because of his fitness nothing was ever picked up. He is at the Royal London Hospital and just starting dialysis before searching for a suitable donor. Yesterday he was meant to be at the game but obviously because of what's happened in the last 24 hours we watched the game against Man City on his laptop from his hospital bed and to see his face at the final whistle after the past couple of traumatic days was better than any medicine and so I would like to take this opportunity to thank the West Ham players for their effort to achieve this fantastic win and also to thank the club for the supporting messages from staff and management. Dave and Debbie Osman COYI
Very sorry to hear the bad news Dave and we wish Jamie all the very best. I hope you can take some comfort in the fantastic job he has done at West Ham this season.

Get well soon Jamie. :crest:
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Echo that good luck Jamie. West Ham family is with you
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 546 likes

Post by sutts07 »

You should start a thread for that Gaffer... we would all like to know how Jamie progresses and obviously send our best wishes to him. Great to know that the lads were able to put a little smile back on his face, guess he won't even mind working from his bed to analyse that performance!

Best wishes mate, hope the club offer all the support and help you need for one of their own.

COYI