COC2: Leicester City 2-1 West Ham Utd (22/09/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Re: Leicester City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by nickkarkie »

exactly mushy, but if we sat off them and invited them on we could have countered them, the three games we have lost this season are when the opposition have drawn us onto them and then countered us
OFT
Has liked: 3241 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

nickkarkie wrote:he's done an amazing job so far to go unbeaten this season with the opposition they have faced and being behind 2-0 in the last 2 games and getting 4 points from them, they are on the crest of a wave, working amazing hard, have great speed in their team but i don't think it will last,I don't rate their back 4 at all
I suppose that's when we'll see if he's Merlin or Tommy Cooper :)
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 879 likes

Post by mushy »

Nick,
Would like to think it's as simple as that but afraid it isn't.
The three teams we lost to defended deep with numbers, the three away wins were against opposition that committed men forward. Not all teams will do this.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

i think its what made fergie such an amazing manager, when his teams were losing they would always create and come back, when they were dominated they were always dangerous on the counter, when the opposition sat deep his teams would always pen them in and not let them counter, we need to learn how to keep teams penned in when we are dominating possesion
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

After Carroll went off we had no long option

When Adrian had the ball their forward line was on the edge of our box as they knew we couldn't go long

We could have nicked it a minute before they Did...small margins
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

mushy wrote:Nick,
Would like to think it's as simple as that but afraid it isn't.
The three teams we lost to defended deep with numbers, the three away wins were against opposition that committed men forward. Not all teams will do this.
in effect it is, we tried to push the pace tonight and dominate the ball, thats exactly what they wanted us to do, if we put a bank of 4 and a bank of 5 and let them have to make the running then we may have changed the flow of the match.

Chelsea did it last season in a home game, they were getting no joy in the first half of a game and the came out second half and all sat deep passing the ball along their back line and defensive midfield, they sucked the other team on to them and went and killed them off
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

Small margins indeed. Their first goal (as was ours) was a lucky deflection, the second was half a yard offside. We could have also been given a penalty on more than one occasion. Not whinging, just saying on a different night we could be coming home still in the hat.

I grow in confidence with this Bilic side though, we are far from the finished article and when all the moving parts actually do click into place, we're going to be a bloody decent side
Last edited by Simply Moore on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

bit annoying that we bought antonio for exactly that sort of game, but he was cup tied. options flying down both flanks would've made the difference.
Believer
Has liked: 1432 likes
Total likes: 766 likes

Post by Believer »

nickkarkie wrote: we need to learn how to keep teams penned in when we are dominating possesion
Correct. We also need to be able to unlock defences. This is where having a bigger squad will come in to play. Having a fit Carroll, Valencia and Song added to Kouyate, Payet, Moses, Obiang, Lanzini and not forgetting Antonio will give us so many different available styles dependant on opposition.

As I suggested earlier, I can genuinely see Carroll & Sakho starting on Saturday. Maybe a 4-3-1-2
rciron
Has liked: 297 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

sutts07 wrote:Oh... one more thing... huge effort from all the fans tonight!
Great support considering the tie. If the team put in half the effort that you lot did we may well bein the hat still!
Absolutely phenomenal support up there tonight, all you could here was us for most of the time, and the okey-cokey was superb, makes me wonder how long clubs like this can sustain their premier league existence, with massive areas of empty seats, their dour funeral like songs, free plastic 'clappers' handed out on entry, and the inevitable championship music after a goal, cos they ain't got enough people to cheer, make the most of it Leicester, it won't be long
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We visibly tired in extra time and that was clear for all to see, but during the 90 there was no difference between the two sides. Lanzini should have scored in the second half when he created an opportunity for himself and on another day, that would have been a goal
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

Was surprised we put out so many from Saturday's match and thought Slaven misjudged that. Would have been perfectly content to blood a few youngsters for this and rest key players for Norwich.

Tired performance.

Oh well, now we can concentrate on winning the league. :D
Last edited by Ding on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

I actually think Leicester are a decent sized club for the top flight & have been for most of my lifetime

It's the competition that marks out proper support, not the clubs

The Boleyn would have been 25k plus, but most teams don't sell out the league cup - it's pony
BMU.WIC

Post by BMU.WIC »

Crap end to a hard-fought game... Leicester are better than people are giving them credit for, much like ourselves at the moment. Always hurts to go out, especially in that manner, but brought it on ourselves by not adapting to their tactics.

Would have been properly bothered about this if it was the F.A. Cup (and that's not to belittle the League Cup, just where my priorities as a fan lie), what's bothering me the most is the fact they've done a double over us by the end of September!

Onwards and upwards... :crest:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

e17 wrote:The Boleyn would have been 25k plus, but most teams don't sell out the league cup - it's pony
And due to the fact fans are unlikely the see a first team XI out. Kudos to Bilic for doing that tonight.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

My League Cup dream is over for another season :(
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

BMU.WIC wrote: what's bothering me the most is the fact they've done a double over us by the end of September!

Onwards and upwards... :crest:
beat champions league calibre opposition at their place for the first time in a decade
get beat 2-1 by leicester
face newly promoted team who've just come from a decent performance at anfield
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

To be honest tonight really emphasised what we already know, if opponents look to take the game to us we are capable of defending them and picking them off to get a result whereas if opposition sides decide to sit deep and concede possession we struggle to break them down and can equally be easily picked off ourselves.

Leicester for the second time this season with a completely different line-up got their tactics spot on, I think any manager now has their blue print in how to deal with us because tonight showed it is as much about how sides set up against us rather than individual players that cause as problems and the challenge for Billic is if he can adapt to that as and when we face such opponents this season.
Denali
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by Denali »

I thought we looked very leggy for most of the match, the passing was not quite crisp as needed. I thought Lanzini and Zarate had a good game and Adrian was very good.

This would have been an ideal match for the cup tied Antonio. it may have been interesting to use Carroll as an impact sub instead of a starter. I am not convinced that he and Moses are quite meant to play together. Moses likes to cut in and shoot, and Carroll wants a cross.

There seemed to be a bit of a hangover fog from Man City around our team today.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Guttted but now the players need to rest, regroup and smash Norwich at the Boleyn on Saturday :)