Watford 2-0 West Ham Utd (31/10/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by upton o'good »

Stepney wrote:Tough one to call. It's funny when people say things like "this will be the real test to see how far we've come". I swear people said that before the Chelsea game. And the Palace game. And the Sunderland game. And 7 points from those 3 games was a great return so I would say we've "come very far indeed". The word banana skin springs to mind when I see the word Watford but then I think that's a bit cocky and complacent. At the end of the day we are away from home and Watford just won their last game (away from home) so I think a point would be a good result all things considered. And even If we lose then we have still "come a long way" because teams do lose games every now and again! And there doesn't need to be anything further read into it. Even the big 4 have gone to places like Watford and lost and still gone on to win trophies that season so I don't want to get caught up in this whole "see how far we've come" business. It's another game. That is all. So let's just enjoy it, win, lose or draw.

Saying all that I reckon we will hammer them 0-3!!

:crest:
Inevitable. They play in yellow.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Not going on Saturday but have some happy memories of many trips to Vicarage Road over the years. Even went there twice in the space of one month back in 1986 - once in the League and back again 3 weeks later for League Cup game. I hope all those going enjoy themselves - I think this could be a tricky one but we should be winning these type of games, especially if we want to win the title this season :wink:
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

e17 wrote:I reckon we're due a reality check - 1-2, with us being the better team but them just nicking it
We had a reality check when we found ourselves 2-0 down to the worst team in the league at The Stadium of Light. If we need another one already I'll be very concerned.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Last time I went to Vicarage Road we won courtesy of an Anton Ferdinand header to put us in the play offs. Mark Noble was 16/17 at this point and got a great reception from the away end. Looking forward to it massively.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

----------------------Adrian----------------------
Jenks---Tomkins---Collins---Cresswell
------------Nobes----Kouyate-----------------
Zarate---------Lanzini-------------Payet----
------------------Sakho----------------------------

Hope we don't go into this game complacent. Watford had a good win last week at Stoke and are a dangerous side in my opinion.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

Complacency, even if subconsciously, is my fear too. As somebody above said, the Sunderland game is too recent to allow that to happen, and I trust Slav to remind them of that, when he forcefully puts across his 100% correct thinking that if you drop your intensity just a tad against any team in this league, you'll get your arse handed to you.
woodford
Has liked: 420 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

bullyhammer wrote:Complacency, even if subconsciously, is my fear too. As somebody above said, the Sunderland game is too recent to allow that to happen, and I trust Slav to remind them of that, when he forcefully puts across his 100% correct thinking that if you drop your intensity just a tad against any team in this league, you'll get your arse handed to you.

to be fair, there is competition for places in every area of the team apart from full backs. Now everyone is back from injury and in contention, complacency is something none of them can afford
Hampshire'ammer

Post by Hampshire'ammer »

Looing forward to this one, going for a 1-3 win.

:crest:
claretnblueglasses
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by claretnblueglasses »

Knighter10WHU wrote:Last time I went to Vicarage Road we won courtesy of an Anton Ferdinand header to put us in the play offs. Mark Noble was 16/17 at this point and got a great reception from the away end. Looking forward to it massively.
He's only seventeen, he's better than Roy Keane
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I was there, I remember when we scored and 70% of the stadium stood up celebrating.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Anton showed some nifty moves, iirc.

Also the game when we chanted for the drum to stop...and it did!
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

Randolph
O'Brien-Reid-Oxford-Ogbonna
Antonio-Obiang-Song-Moses
Carroll-Valencia

I think it's time to give our first eleven a rest!
Well, no I don't, but this is a team that does not include any of the starting players against Chelski.
And still look like a team that can beat Watford, doesn't it? And still there's no place for a player like Jelavic, or Henry or other youngsters but Oxford!
That's how far we've come, and may be the crucial thing that keep us having momentum til May!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

PrinceH wrote:Randolph
O'Brien-Reid-Oxford-Ogbonna
Antonio-Obiang-Song-Moses
Carroll-Valencia

I think it's time to give our first eleven a rest!
Well, no I don't, but this is a team that does not include any of the starting players against Chelski.
And still look like a team that can beat Watford, doesn't it? And still there's no place for a player like Jelavic, or Henry or other youngsters but Oxford!
That's how far we've come, and may be the crucial thing that keep us having momentum til May!

He wont make eleven wholesale changes mate
bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Aslong as we can match them for workrate I reckon it will be a comfortable win. Song and Valencia should start to feature now and we'll probably see them on Saturday with Carroll also surely getting a start soon.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

We can't have it nearly 100% perfect.....nature doesn't work that way for us!

Let's see how Slav handles them with an un-complacency slap on the head for each of them.
Jameslegend
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Jameslegend »

Can't believe people are suggesting resting players.

We have only played twice in two weeks since the last international break, and we only have this game and then Everton the until the next break.

We need to keep our best team on the pitch as often as possible if we want to keep this good run going.

The only changes I would consider are Reid or Ogbonna and Moses in for Collins and Zarate, but it would be pretty harsh to drop anyone at the moment!

Best team please Slaven!
AndyCarrollsBarber

Post by AndyCarrollsBarber »

The idea of resting players for a winnable league match is utter nonsense. Stick with the winning formula until we either stop winning or injuries mean making enforced changes.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Now isn't the time to rest players. We need to focus everything on 6 points from Watford and Everton. Our very strongest team is a must.

No midweek game, no Europe and another international break in two weeks.

The time to rest players is when we have 5 games in 14 days over Xmas.
Hawaiian hammer

Post by Hawaiian hammer »

I dont see this game as a problem. I think West Brom will be the banana skin.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

I'll only start to worry, when Lawro's convoluted logic and wonderful footballing insight, fails to find a way to predict a loss for the team with the league's best away record against a team with a terrible home record and only one goal in 5 games...