Newcastle Utd 2-1 West Ham Utd (16/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aloysius
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: Newcastle United vs West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by Aloysius »

There is a theme developing where we are starting away games slowly and getting punished making the task more difficult than it needs to be. This in my view is a collective issue rather than individual but we don't seem to get a grip in central midfield areas early enough in games regardless of the personnel. No Sakho or Carroll holding the ball up doesn't help either
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Newcastle are in a false position. They are a pretty decent team, with some very good players. They are certainly not archetypal relegation fodder. Can see them finishing fairly safe from the relegation zone.

A draw would have been a good result and we nearly got one, despite starting abysmally.

I would be interested to see us play a diamond formation in next couple of games:

Obiang
Noble Song
Payet
Jelavic Valencia
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

They were quick out of blocks and flew at us in a way we should fly at teams from the off at out place. This is difficult to contain and scoring two inside the first 15 minutes, as they did and it is a long way back
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

traxop wrote:The emphasis on the 'result' part, because, to be honest we have been defensively bad in patches over the last few games - but those have been papered over by the wins. Today we finally met a side that took some of the chances.

And, how poorly have our central defenders been in marking for their crosses. I still remember the chance Afobe fluffed last game when Oggy was on the wrong side of him, and today, their attackers had the time and space to bring the ball down inside our box from their crosses.
Before today we had 5 clean sheets in 8 games.

Ogbonna was goal side of Afobe.
Last edited by ChzMff on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Georgee Paris wrote: Kouyate - was wearing trainers and had a sore wrist but will look good at michael Jackson fancy dress party later
:)
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Bill »

Just got back from the game. An awful performance totally lacking in urgency. Every time Noble received the ball he slowed play down and passed sideways or backwards. Collins must have touched the ball more than anybody else, because we passed back to him so many times. Even when we made it 2-1 we didn't look like scoring again. Such a letdown.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Newcastle are in a false position.
McLaren effect. You look at their starting line-up and there's very few players who you wouldn't, on paper, take at least as squad players here. They shouldn't be around the Villas and Sunderlands.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Palace haven't won - or scored - in 5 games but are still 8th. Frustrating as today was, that shows how hard it is to drop down the table in this particular season.
Patito

Post by Patito »

kentishiron wrote:
You've quoted me yet failed to realise that I said he has scored 6 goals in 40 games, so no I'm judging him over 40 games.
No I have fully realised his overall goal haul for us is 6 but thanks for pointing it out again anyway :thup:

You obviously haven't got the point I was making so I'll just let you carry on with your little hate campaign for one of our players.
Snudge
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Snudge »

Well that was pretty crap all in all. This season is typical West Ham. Struggle against the ones that need to survive, yet give the big boys a good game.
Olliek92
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Olliek92 »

On my way back from the game. A lot of people overreacting...we played badly today but we're still 5th...I thought Valencia played better today than in previous weeks. Bilic needs to tell noble to keep it simple, both him and Collins slowed the game down too much today.

We missed Lanzini more today than any other game this year and Jelavic deserves a start against Man City if AC is still crocked.
Last edited by Olliek92 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Orr fan club

Post by Neil Orr fan club »

SLOW OUT OF THE BLOCKS AGAIN.. Certainly not our best performance . Regrettably the messiah ( Payet hardly involved )
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Bill »

Payet received the ball plenty today, but the movement ahead of him was poor and nothing came off for him today.
Joey00

Post by Joey00 »

I can only assume that Jelavic has been browsing through KUMB and is on a mission to prove us all wrong.

Gave us hope today - Pressed well, took his chance well.

His shot that went over wasn't great but one of our better and few attempts! Please sign another striker!!
happy.hooker

Post by happy.hooker »

I can't believe that I don't even get a free coat. :cry:
Due to massive demand I only get a £10 voucher
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Payet was nullified he wasn't **** he's our most dangerous player and was shut down effectively

Newcastle bossed midfield and Shelvey was well up for it. I saw people laughing when they signed him for £12m he absolutely smashed it today.

Jokes on them
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I don't agree Payet was shut out...he had a lot of good possession which he could not capitalise on.

Hard to pinpoint what was wrong...but 3 defensive midfielders seemed excessive. I would have left out one of Noble,Kayoute or Obiang and played a more attacking player.

,Although in retrospect had it been Moses I dont suppose it would have made much difference.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Bill wrote:Payet received the ball plenty today, but the movement ahead of him was poor and nothing came off for him today.
This! Especially in the first half. The static nature of the players was reminiscent of the stuff at our worst under BFS! For huge chunks of the 1st half Payet was stuck out on the wing. Noble in particular seemed happy to get the ball and slow the game down and seemed lost for ideas when he had it (he looked knackered after only 10 minutes!).
Neither team were great. Just NUFC went at it for the first 15 minutes!
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Always a tough place to go regardless of the league position.
I thought their 2nd goal was top drawer, excellent pass, class touch and delivery!
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

we only seem to lose games that we absolutely thoroughly deserve to lose.

not sure what to make of that.