West Ham Utd 3-3 Arsenal (09/04/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

BarryGreen

Re: West Ham United v Arsenal: Match Thread

Post by BarryGreen »

Will take a draw after being 2 down. They dominated most of the first half, we did most of the second. Carroll done well to get his hat trick especially as I thought we struggled with a lack of movement for the first half hour going forward. For all the good he does Slav makes the odd strange decision and I think the 3 centre halfs was one of them. And I'd have taken Noble off who was clearly knackered at 80 mins, for Obiang. But he knows what he is doing. Would have been nice to get another one over those gooners but a Great game to watch, I'm sure the neutral loved it.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Wonderful game. My last probably at the Boleyn although I might go to the U-21 final. Both teams could have won. Didn't like the ref though. They are all really ***** these days. Results of games are more and more being decided by these buffoons rather than the players.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 765 likes
Total likes: 3503 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Post-match press conference: Slaven Bilic vs Arsenal
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=129692

Post-match press conference: Arsene Wenger vs West Ham Utd
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=129693

ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

The one where lanzini went down looked like a pen at the time but I haven't seen it back...anything in it?
Kialos
Has liked: 1545 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Graza wrote:Just back had some time to simmer down and read a bit of the stuff from people watching on the telly and pundits with replays.

In the stadium it very much felt like the ref had decided we weren't going to win that game e.g. Noble slid in 2 footed well in front of Welbeck took the ball and a foul was called in the first half, second half we are breaking Antonio with the ball, their guy slides in two footed at him, misses the ball but antonio hurdles him, no foul. Lanzini's goal was chalked off for no reason. Payet's goal, chalked off for an imaginary foul, numerous times Carroll turned one of their center halves who threw themselves down to the joy of the ref. The free kick that Payet slid to Noble while no one was ready called back only because it was to Arsenal's disadvantage. I could go on.

Once again playing against 14 we've come up with a score draw, better than the loss they wanted to inflict upon us. Gutting because we should be 4 clear of Man City before their game (and 1 down as I write this) in fourth and the difference is the refs not us.

That said, just as we did against palace when 1 up we sat right back allowed the opposition the space and ball to get into us and fashion their chances. We looked threatening enough on the way break but we caused our own problems IMO.

My only other gripe with our team was that we had 2 more subs to make, Valencia on the break instead of Carroll, maybe Obiang to put his foot on the ball and provide a bit of extra stamina in the middle (probably for Nobles who one again ran his legs off but looked gone for the last 10-15).

But, the team has done enough to have won the last 3 but we've settled been held to draws by the men in black.
Spot on and that was my view inside the ground as well. We were robbed. It is not a fair result when the score is 3-3 and we had a perfectly good goal disallowed.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

I think I've calmed down now...

Probably one of the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen at Upton Park. Never has it been so obvious that Pawson was routing for Arsenal. The first couple of minutes set the tone..Carroll booked after a little shove after 2 minutes, yes 2 minutes..

Where were Arsenal's yellows for similar or worse tackles? Yes, surprisingly enough nowhere to be seen. Worse than last weekend in my opinion, cost us another 3 points. Yet to see Lanzini's "goal" but heard it was onside. Don't expect to see anything like this online or on MOTD, they'll be making sure everyone is brainwashed like Pawson was today.

All credit to Slaven and the players today, each and every one of them, ****ing brilliant. Let's go do Man Utd in the week, no reason what so ever why we can't win.
Graza

Post by Graza »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:All credit to Slaven and the players today, each and every one of them, ****ing brilliant. Let's go do Man Utd in the week, no reason what so ever why we can't win.
I can think of 3 reasons, all will be wearing black...
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Was on the night shift last night and woke up at 1.30 to see text messages all over my phone filling me in on the first half. Amazing game by the sound of it. I haven't seen any of it and would like to think we will be first up on MOTD tonight but nothing would surprise me if we're not. Maybe a tad disappointing not to win once we got our nose in front but at 2-0 down I would have taken a draw all day long. Did see Trevor Sinclair speaking up for us on Final Score bemoaning the questionable rfereeing decisions that KEEP on costing us dearly, but to be honest, nothing can really take the shine of this wonderful season. I am not prone to hyperbole but at the age of 50, I think I am now seeing the team I have craved for all my West Ham supporting life. I just dont want this season to end.

:scarfer:
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Has anyone mentioned Adrian's messing around AGAIN & nearly conceeding? :thdn:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

We were robbed. No shadow of a doubt.... But

This is the best West Ham team ever.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Think I don't understand is why after grabbing three goals getting the ball into the box did we stop doing it after that? Some perfect lofted crossing opportunities in the second half but instead they went for the driven across the box, and shock, they always found the opposition and were cleared
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Strewth, what a game! The season that just won't stop giving.

I have seen us match the top teams in the country only once before - 85/6. We have now lost 1 of 16 games against the top 7 teams (City, Arsenal, Spu*s, Chelsea, Everton, Man U and Liverpool) and have been unlucky not to win even more of them.

There were so many incidents today that it is impossible to summarise the game. Best early kick off I can remember - fantastic crowd, 9 minute hatrick, more shots than Verdun, some world class play by Payet and lashings of controversy. Even half time was emotional and made me feel 17 again hearing Love Will Tear Us Apart over the 80 Final footage and listening to my hero Billy.

No idea what was onside/offside, penalty/red card etc, but these twats have been poseurs for years and have some sort of love in with officialdom. We have let 6 points slip in the last 3 games which will likely cost us dear, but that comes down to us more than anything else and our lack of experience at this level is possibly showing.

Fabulous season. I posted some months ago that I didn't want our last season at home to go out on a whimper and it certainly isn't. So grateful to Slav, the players and everyone else for a proper send off.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Heysel76 wrote:Has anyone mentioned Adrian's messing around AGAIN & nearly conceeding? :thdn:
Saw him play a short goal kick to Reid who was immediately put under pressure (as was every West Ham player) who returned it back to Adrian who was less than comfortable with it.

That was it though?
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

Very pleased with the overall performance today and disappointed only in the poor officiating, but our unbeaten run continues. When was the last time that we went from August to April without losing at the Boleyn? 1980/81 seems the most obvious contender, but that was in the second tier; have we ever had such a long unbeaten stretch in the top flight?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

To be fair to Adrian. He was not happy with Reid, Reid told him to play the next one short to him too. Adrian told him to do one and get up the pitch.
GreenIron
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by GreenIron »

Nice post-match interview with Super Slav on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35949243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 920 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

At the game today I thought Carroll's booking was for a nothing challenge but I've just watched some clips now and it looks about right. But some of the other decisions were as awful as they appeared live.

Lanzini onside, Ozil off side, free-kick called back because Arsenal weren't ready, Monreal and others diving around on every contact...I could go on.

But that was one hell of a game and one hell of a performance. 0-2 down to a 'big' club and we pull it around with such style...for most of my supporting life that would have finished 1-4, thats the new West Ham I'm loving.

This season has been astounding.
Landsie

Post by Landsie »

That pass by Noble on the volley in second half, unbelievable technique. Love being a West Ham fan at the moment, so proud of the team.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

GreenIron wrote:Nice post-match interview with Super Slav on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35949243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm so glad he's our manager, what a bloke. :thup:
BALAGE The Hungarian

Post by BALAGE The Hungarian »

weare good for europem ligue. at the moment