West Ham Utd 1-1 Middlesbrough (01/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Middlesbrough: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

sutts07 wrote: They are opposite me, it was after 'security' had gone in to turf someone out. No idea what for but it lead to songs such as 'west ham united, we're treated like s#!t', 'where we're you at Upton Park', 'Stratford's a s#!t hole I want to go home' and the one you mentioned above.

It was clearly much more of a reaction towards the security and stewards than it was the team. It had nothing to do with the on pitch performance. People are just sick to death of the incompetence and inexperience of authorities.

Harsh to say they should be ashamed of themselves without knowing why they were all so angry. Clearly something had happened and it didn't look like a 'standing v sitting' row either.

I did wonder from a distance whether it was kicking off again at one point in that corner. Well will this b*llocks ever end. Sick to death of us being singled out in such a way all the time. Thankfully it didn't spoil what was a decent atmosphere on the whole considering.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Yea Why Not wrote:Our lot fighting again

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thes ... ent=safari" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West Ham fans in fight shocker, this is definitely news to me.

Could also say the same about Boro fans.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

With regards to our midfield is it time to shrink the pitch down to the same size as the Boleyn ?

5 yards in each direction may not sound much but it would by default reduce the ground our lads need to cover .
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Better performance I thought, and something to build on. After going 0-1 down we actually reacted positively and after Dimi's amazing solo effort goal I thought we'd go on to win that.

Strange team from Slaven to begin with, Tore was mainly ineffective and Antonio didn't really look confident playing as a striker. He kept drifting out to the right to allow others chances on goal and a couple of times it fell to Noble and Kouyate. Noble had a better game imo and was very unlucky not to score with the effort that came back off the bar.

Zaza looked like he was making a big effort which didn't go unnoticed by me, but he'll still get dug out loads by our support, I really hope it works out for him with us. Obiang was brilliant all game and if it was t for Payet's masterclass goal he would of got MOTM in my book.

I'm staying positive here, I think we can go to Palace and come away with a win in two weeks. Please god don't let Payet get injured on international duty.
Colours never run

I see the logic. But I say no, I want them to get used to the bigger pitch so hopefully in the long run our fitness and football will get better and more familiar on bigger pitches during the season, especially when we get to Wembley. Then when we play on smaller playing surfaces, it won't feel quite as bad. Short term pain for long term gain.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

wildkard wrote: Tell you what, people who were singing "we should've stayed at the Boleyn" when it's still 0-0 in whatever block that is to the right of the Boro goal in the first half, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Have a word with yourself.

Block 130 was standing and getting behind the team for 30 mins better than it ever has done at the Athletics Bowl, then the stewards move in to take seat number, shove their weight around, bully people and throw people out, and frustration occurs and the mood changes. But its the supporters you're ashamed of?!

Another G&S&B apologist no doubt. Sorry, next time I'll get my popcorn and sit on my hands so I don't upset you and make you feel "ashamed" of fellow supporters who get pissed off when they're own club is trying to throw them out and ban them simply for trying to create an atmosphere and get behind the team.
Castle
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Castle »

the pink palermo wrote:With regards to our midfield is it time to shrink the pitch down to the same size as the Boleyn ?

5 yards in each direction may not sound much but it would by default reduce the ground our lads need to cover .
Agree with this, hard enough moving a whole team to a new location.it's stupidy this wasn't considered to settle us in
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Much improved but still plenty to do. Antonio is not a striker though.

Thought Obiang was superb and made a real difference. Better performance from Zaza when he came on, though he was left pretty isolated so some of his good work looked awful as there was no one within 20 yards of him.

Off field all quiet in the BML and I saw none of the troubles away from the ground. Where are the away coaches parked up?
Colours never run

Were fans actually being led out then and ejected because of standing then?

I noticed the heavies wading into the opposite East Stand as well before sent on their way by the masses it seemed.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Just had a look at the match centre on whoscored.com. Their average position chart shows Kouyates average position in the match to be on the left just behind Payets. The heatmap confirms this, and the chalkboard shows that all 5 of the interceptions he made were on the left side of the pitch. I'm wondering whether this was by design and Bilic instructed him to give Payet some protection. Both Noble and Obiang seemed to be covering the whole width of the pitch.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run

Castle wrote:[

Agree with this, hard enough moving a whole team to a new location.it's stupidy this wasn't considered to settle us in

It's not necessarily just that though is it? The problem we have is the pitch is too far away from the stands as it is, so the extra yards helps bring it closer to the fans. Catch 22.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

It comes to a point when I feel that a draw at home to Middlesboro is a decent result, but I've decided to be positive and I'm hoping that yesterday was a turning point, with more positives than negatives

Negatives -
Adrian flapped a couple of times but no need to panic there yet.
Byram - yet another early injury - we are in a ridiculous situation re fitness and injury
Tore and Zaza looked dreadful and Kouyate and Noble are still below par
Shooting wildly over the bar is not a great idea

Positives -
Collins and Reid looked more like their old selves
Ogbonna did more than OK at LB - in fact I think he looked pretty good
Payet and Lanzini looked like Payet and Lanzini - and that goal!
Obiang had an excellent match and should stay in the team for the forseeable future
Arbeloa had a calming influence and played simply but well - not sure why he didn't start
We didn't leak goals and got a point!

More positives than negatives - onwards and upwards :scarfer:
Colours never run

It stopped the rot, which was important. We were unlucky not to win in my opinion, we just about did enough for the win I felt.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

sutts07 wrote: Harsh to say they should be ashamed of themselves without knowing why they were all so angry. Clearly something had happened and it didn't look like a 'standing v sitting' row either.
Some bloke started going mental at one of the stewards when they were walking down the aisle writing on their clipboard. Steward didn't do anything other than write **** down. Couple of people have told me that now.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Its so obvious we need to start with Fletcher.

I thought we were poor to be honest. Noble looks so unfit....whats happened to him?
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

I agree with those signing "we should have stayed at the Boleyn" and it's got nothing to do with anything being wrong with the stadium which I think is fantastic.

However it's simply not needed, we are currently not big enough for such stadium is the unfortunate truth.

The owners sold "dreams" (lies) to the fans and no doubt Bilic that we would be making the step up and competing but they bottled it and tried to do it on the cheap as we had a good year last season... It's dramatically backfired and at present we are an embarrassment
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Eastcoast wrote:Picking Tore then replacing with Zaza cost us 3 points today. Again, totally the managers error.
Rather give two up and coming lads from the academy a chance above these two. Both offer extremely little and no doubt (Zaza especially) costing us a fortune.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Marky wrote:Its so obvious we need to start with Fletcher.

I thought we were poor to be honest. Noble looks so unfit....whats happened to him?
I just never think Fletcher looks like scoring. That's the problem I have with him.

You're right about Noble. He looks like the game's are passing him by.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

MD_HM wrote:I agree with those signing "we should have stayed at the Boleyn" and it's got nothing to do with anything being wrong with the stadium which I think is fantastic.

However it's simply not needed, we are currently not big enough for such stadium is the unfortunate truth.

The owners sold "dreams" (lies) to the fans and no doubt Bilic that we would be making the step up and competing but they bottled it and tried to do it on the cheap as we had a good year last season... It's dramatically backfired and at present we are an embarrassment
Way to big, held 80,000 for the athletics and now we have say 50-52k in there yesterday, thought there were more empties than Southampton. So about 65% of the previous capacity

Feels like its a temporary home while a proper stadium is built, a chore to put up for a year or two
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I think again it showed how we lose control of the Midfield when Lanzini and Payet play together. Lanzini is excellent but so lightweight. At one point he was outmuscled by Stuart Downing - who is not exactly Luke Cage.