West Ham Utd 0-2 Manchester Utd (02/01/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham United V Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by simon1982 »

MadMart wrote:anyone know why AC didn't start....
I'm guessing 2 games in the space of a few days would have been to much and the game plan was obviously to contain man utd and hit them on the break. Something you can't do with carroll.
Billic got the starting line up spot on imo.
nicko

Post by nicko »

#MikeDeanOut
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

The worst thing about it was is that it was shaping up to be a decent game. We all knew that we were never going to last 75 minutes with 10 men after playing a game 48 hours previously. I think that's the great shame.

I don't see why there can't be a panel of refs who watch video replays who can send a player back on the pitch in situations like that when everyone agrees that the ref got it wrong. It would have no actual impact on slowing the game down if a player was sent off and came back on a few minutes later after a review. It was save the game being ruined.
carlokilkennie
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by carlokilkennie »

MadMart wrote:anyone know why AC didn't start....
His hair wasn't dry.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Iron-worx wrote:In the premiership if you have a player wrongly sent off early on and an offside goal is allowed against you then you don't really have much chance.

Poor refereeing decisions are ****ing games.

Why can't we have video refs like in Rugby ?
Video refs may not help in this type of decision because it is opinion. The person watching the video may think a tackle is a sending off, and someone else doeant.

Could work for offsides as that is black or white, but I personally wouldn't wqnt it implemented
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

NW5hammer wrote:You can't learn much from a game like that. But for 10 minutes we looked excellent - mobile, quick passing, creative. No offence to Noble but we looked better without him.Reid was immense. Obiang and Kouyate are the right partnership in the middle - shame about the ANC - but bring Fernandes in. Lanzini best in the free role. Antonio was great but as we know, not a natural finisher on the deck. Great spirit and much better organisation. A real shame. That was not a straight red.
Agree with this, been saying the same thing for months, begging for Cheik & Obiang with Lanzini or Fernandes CAM, but get slagged off by many for suggesting Noble be benched. I hope the nay sayers relent for the betterment of the club's actual playing performance.

COYI
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

simonirons wrote:Mike dean, Lip read to Obiang "don't look at me again, or you won't play again"

West Ham news has it over on twitter

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Glory Hunter
Location: Dreaming Dreams, Scheming Schemes, Building Castles High
Has liked: 13 likes

Post by Glory Hunter »

Why does everyone arguing against corrupt refs seem to think it would be institutionalised? I think it's far more likely to be brown envelopes full of cash or something similar.

Apparently the average PL ref gets £70k per annum - I'd say when you're surrounded by the kind of wealth seen in the Premier League, it would be very easy to convince yourself you were being short-changed and therefore susceptible to bribes.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

I'll wait to see the replays on motd but from the other end of the ground (block 142 :wink: ) it looked like it was never a red, and their 2nd was offside.

Once again, a good game of football ruined by an inept refereeing system (I won't blame Mike Dean just yet as he only had one look at it - if he was influnced by Jones's play acting then he is the one who should be hauled over the coals).

Still, it all evens out at the end, eh?
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

Jose has been putting pressure on officials all season and this is how it manifests itself.
Crouchend_Hammer

Glory Hunter wrote:Why does everyone arguing against corrupt refs seem to think it would be institutionalised? I think it's far more likely to be brown envelopes full of cash or something similar.

Apparently the average PL ref gets £70k per annum - I'd say when you're surrounded by the kind of wealth seen in the Premier League, it would be very easy to convince yourself you were being short-changed and therefore susceptible to bribes.
What about when thty retire? Why woukdnt they just sell the story to the newspapers?
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Because they would end up in prison
beckton

Post by beckton »

wigwig wrote:Jose has been putting pressure on officials all season and this is how it manifests itself.

Yep.

Although I just put the sending off and offside goal down to gross incompetence by the officials at first. We know, well most of us do we wouldn't of got those decisions if the roles had been reversed.
Phil S
Has liked: 462 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

Stepney wrote:What really impressed me today was the shape of the team. For the whole game we looked well drilled and disciplined. We were patient in our approach play and looked very composed. It's a shame the ref spoilt the game. No matter how many times it's happened over the years I never considered that happening today. At 11 v 11 it was shaping up to be a good contest.

I'm very proud of our players today. We never gave up. Well done Slav and the boys :crest:
exactly how I feel
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

I adore the way Manuel Lanzini plays with a smile on his face. ...

I Also hate Manchester United 4 times more than all other clubs in clubs in the world combined

As you were
Crouchend_Hammer

simon1982 wrote:Because they would end up in prison
Doubt it. If they came forward and blew the whistle (pardon the pun) they woukd likely get immunity.

So who is the handler? Who is in charge? Who decides when a team becomes big enough that refs should favour them? Are Man City part of this? Spurs? Leicester now thy won the league?

How many people are involved?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

simon1982 wrote:Because they would end up in prison
Or they're still being paid? Bent refs have been picked up in all the major leagues - but not the Prem.
Spammy The Vee
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

Very proud of the team today !
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

So when Mike Dean celebrated the Tottenham goal that is just down to a mistake

Righteo
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Refs are biased because they are star struck by the star teams players. The Mancs were singing Dean's name at the end and I bet he loves it. He will get away with it, he will still be a premier league ref. Until refs get properly punished for such glaring errors there will be no improvement.