West Ham Utd 0-0 Everton (22/04/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Re: West Ham United v Everton Match thread

Post by Kitt the car »

It was really good to see us have an obvious structure and game plan today. It's been a long time since that has happened along with the fight to win the ball back.

Masu was brilliant at LB, maybe if/Cresswell finds his original form we could use Masu further up the pitch as the left winger?

Collins/Reid/Fonte all fantastic today although Collins got very lucky on occasions with the shirt pulling of Lukaku, another referee probably would have given a penalty on one of those corners.

Nordtveit in the DM role doing exactly what I know he can do (and have been banging on for ages about) breaking up play, keeping shape and playing crossfield balls.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Think Nordtveit looked very nervous to start with but as the game went on, and some of his tackles and passes improved, he seemed to grow in confidence and looked a better player.

Thought it was a decent performance and we just lacked a top quality striker.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

What I like about Masuaku is that he get's close to the winger and puts his foot in. He doesn't just back off and hope to block the cross like Cresswell does. He clearly did well going forward as everyone saw, but I also think he did pretty well defensively too.
The Big Show

Post by The Big Show »

Great effort by a makeshift team. Adrian barely touched the ball. A striker away from winning that by a distance . Enjoyed the game.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

A bore draw but some positives. Ginge was perfect for the bully Lukaku and I thought Nordveit did well enough in his best position for a change. I think that as the second half was probably our best footballing performance for a while (that says how dire we have been), it kind of damns Noble. We did seem 'fresher' in midfield and many looked busy and hungry, especially Ayew who may well start to show his transfer price as he settles into a 'fixed' position. Too many of our players are having to work in different roles too much and never settle, I hope Bilic will at last keep players in their best positions and, if there are injuries, draft in a dev player rather than mess around with his favourites. I think it has shown to be detrimental playing square pegs in round holes and I'm sure keeping the shape and playing a dev player would have not only been better for the team but an inspiration to the dev team as a whole.

If you've seen the article about poor Samuelson, completely demoralised and totally lost his confidence sitting on the bench for the mighty Blackburn. He was a regular for his international squad and now they are not interested, no wonder he is pissed off. Our youth dev system sucks, how many have had a chance with all our injuries?!?!?
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

not going to make many friends with this but we can't play like that with carroll in the side. calleri had a pony game, but just his movement and hassle gave our midfield room to knock it about and the whole team's confidence surged as a result.

mad diafra to start next week, regardless of the big man's fitness. sling him on at the end if we've got them pegged back.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

The Big Show wrote:Great effort by a makeshift team. Adrian barely touched the ball. A striker away from winning that by a distance . Enjoyed the game.
I can only agree. I certainly did not think it was a boring game as some have suggested.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Burnley Hammer wrote:
Thought it was a decent performance and we just lacked a top quality striker.
That was the best team performance this season, we looked like a well drilled team and all the players seemed to be on it today and fully awake from the off. Sakho looked dangerous when he came on and with a little more game time he will be back to his best.
nickkarkie
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

I was at my first game for 15 years and was great to get a perspective of how we move as a team. What cost us today was poor final ball and more importantly, we don't get enough men forward, it was only masuaku, Lanzini, calleri and ayew attacking their back 6, kouyate hardly made a run forward. Our final ball was absolutely shocking bar 2 wonderful crosses in the first 5 minutes.

Masuaku and Collins were superb, Lanzini, Reid, Fernandes and Nordtveit all did well, Ayew was fairly poor and Calleri is awful, he doesn't move, he has slow feet but an even slower brain and is not proactive, he is reactive in as much that he doesn't read flick ons or run the channels, he waits for the flick or a long ball which will end up in a 50-50 with Jagielka which he would lose.

Everton were awful, Lukaku 80m, I wouldn't pay 20m for him, lazy striker.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I think the crowd appreciated the performance and that reflected in the support given by the crowd back
Really seemed like a home game today.
Spammy The Vee
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

Proud of The Hammers performance today, we played lot more football than I've seen for while.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

Oldun wrote:I think the crowd appreciated the performance and that reflected in the support given by the crowd back
Really seemed like a home game today.
The roar when we got our final corner was amazing. There are well sections of the home support who are always singing and good on then, they get the rest of the crowd going a bit.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

In Devon so relying on my daughters' reports.

Sounds like we were the better team and deserved to win.

Well done WHU and I'm another one who helped by putting money on Lukaka to score.
nickkarkie

Post by nickkarkie »

We were definitely the better team and should have scored first half, second half we really created nothing and they had a couple of dangerous situations. Both teams were very poor in terms of creativity and at times it was like a training game
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

If we had had one decent, fit forward, we would have won, but we didn't. If in the same situation again, we should give Fletcher a go, Calleri has had enough chances, and fluffed them all.

Arthur was very good.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

The difference today was that they were supposed to be a top 6 side full of confidence going into the game ,with an outstanding record against us.
We went into the game with quite a few players missing and with brittle confidence.
The reason that the game looked poor was totally down to them.
Their manager said after the game only one team deserved to win and it was not his.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

M*A*R*C wrote:If we had had one decent, fit forward, we would have won, but we didn't.
How many times have we said that this season ? In fact, how many times have we said that in the 20 years I've supported West Ham?
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Wow! Some very strange comments about Nordveit's performance... thought he was terrible. As someone shouted out during the game, his every second touch is a sliding tackle!

Standout performances by Masuaku and Lanzini. Closely followed by Fernandes and Reid/Collins.

If Sakho had been on the pitch even at half time we would have won that.

Everton fans quietest we've had all season?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I'm not happy.

Can't even rely on Lukaku getting his customary goal against us at a time we're giving them away for fun. Cost me £20.

That's what I get for betting against West Ham.
Last edited by sendô on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Just back from the game...

What a great day of football, and a nice reminder of why I do it and the feeling that it was worth my time and money. It's not often felt like that this season tbh.

Today was my second favourite game in the new stadium- really good team performance, and half a dozen excellent performances. We've played a lot worse Andy won this year (hull, Burnley, Sunderland).

Nords, ginge, Arthur, Fernandez, ayew all excellent imho...the rest not far behind...the defence looks better with Reid in it (and Adrian in goal) and as everyone said on here, the youthful and athletic midfield looked a lot better

Think one moment summed it up today, ayew gave the ball away quite high up and ended up making the recovery tackle in deep left back territory. There was fitness, desire and determination today.

Sakho got a very* good reaction when he came on (by everyone but me)

Pixie Lott sung baby at half time (awful)

Ginger pele stayed behind, again, and gave his shirt to a young fan and clapped and celebrated with the fans after everyone else had disappeared.

Mark noble was interviewed by sir Trevor brooking at half time about joining the 400 club.