West ham United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur (23/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

IronworksDave

Re: West ham United v Tottenham Hotspur: Match Thread

Post by IronworksDave »

Playing 36 'away' games means they've got no chance of winning the EPL ... as for Saturday's match the longer we stop them scoring the better our chances ... every game where they get ahead they've won it going away .... 10 man defence, you know it makers sense ...
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I love and despise playing this mob in equal measures, funny fixture for me this one, the joy of winning against the darkness of losing and what goes with it with the Tottenham people I know :|
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

We need pace and hard work up front if we're to come away with anything from this game:

---------------Adrian
Byram--Reid---Oggy--Masuaku
-----------obiang--Kouyate
Antonio----------------------Arnie
----------Sakho-Chicarito------

Subs:Zabaleta,Cress,Noble,Quina,Carroll,Ayew
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Modern »

Think we will line up like this with wingbacks:

Lloris
Aurier
Alderweireld
Sanchez
Vertonghen
Davies
Dier
Dembele
Eriksen
Alli
Kane

Against Swansea Pochettino used Son as left wing back but it didn't really work so I expect he'll be left out here. The other option he has is to switch to a back four to get Son in the side but that would be risky I think.
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

As others have mentioned I think they are much stronger than last year and whilst they will probably finish 3rd/4th this year I expect them to be back up there next year providing they don't lose any big names.

I massively rate Son, think he is a class player and has pace and skills to burn; we were looking comfortable at 2-1 last year when Bilic took Payet off for a defender and Son came on, who tore us a new one winning the penalty and providing the cutback for Kane to equalise.

If he starts I fear for our slow centrebacks, but if it is the usual Kane Alli Eriksen front 3 then I will fancy us to frustrate them and get a draw if not nick a win. If we try and outplay them we will lose; playing a direct physical game against them is our best bet and is how Burnley and Swansea both got points off of them.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Agree with those saying they don't want to see Tottenham start with Son. Slaven and the team have proven that with a disciplined defensive performance they have enough to keep Kane/Eriksen/Alli quiet for prolonged periods. Son provides a different threat that we'd struggle to cope with even sitting deep with 5 at the back (which it'll be for prolonged periods).

Slightly subdued atmosphere of an early kick off could play in to our hands here as Tottenham will want the game to be played at a much faster pace.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Modern wrote:Think we will line up like this with wingbacks:

Lloris
Aurier
Alderweireld
Sanchez
Vertonghen
Davies
Dier
Dembele
Eriksen
Alli
Kane

Blimey that's a very good team. Pretty physical as well.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Madness people actually wanting Carroll to play because he is good at defending corners!

We have three centre backs for that!

We didn't have Carroll the last two times we have beaten Spurs, or when we nearly beat them at WHL last season, and we certainly don't need him now

Bench please

I fully appreciate he will play though, and we will see a stream of missiles fired in his general direction, and excitement at winning corners
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

Lloris
Aurier
Alderweireld
Sanchez
Vertonghen
Davies
Dier
Dembele
Eriksen
Alli
Kane

Against Swansea Pochettino used Son as left wing back but it didn't really work so I expect he'll be left out here. The other option he has is to switch to a back four to get Son in the side but that would be risky I think.
piece of piss, 4-1 win
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

Modern wrote: .....

Thats a damn good team Modern; although I would much prefer to see Son at wing-back then we can watch him try and defend Antonio :twisted:.
mattyD
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by mattyD »

Hernandez
Arnie Antonio

Noble Kouyate

Cress Rice Reid Fonte Zab

Hart

will never happen though - not enough passing in the team so we have to go long whereby Carroll makes it look like a plan.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Lloris
Aurier
Alderweireld
Sanchez
Vertonghen
Davies
Dier
Dembele
Eriksen
Alli
Kane

Modern do you really think dembele will start?it seems odd he played him against Barnsley.I have a feeling Pochettino knows it's all about breaking us down,and will go with Son over dembele and just have Dier as the lone CM.Much like pep Does with fernandinho.Personally happy wanyama is out,think he is stronger than dier in CM.Definately see Antonio on Davies as our main weapon,Davies lack of pace is their only real weakness.
Lord Zoltan
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Lord Zoltan »

mattyD wrote:Hernandez
Arnie Antonio

Noble Kouyate

Cress Rice Reid Fonte Zab

Hart

will never happen though - not enough passing in the team so we have to go long whereby Carroll makes it look like a plan.
Heard through the grapevine that Carroll may miss out on Sat, your wish may come true
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

Aurier v Arnie could be bloody entertaining :scarfer:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

When's Lanzini back?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 516 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:When's Lanzini back?
After the next international break.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Good job football matches are not played on paper after looking at Moderns team...
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Modern »

bubbles500 wrote: Modern do you really think dembele will start?it seems odd he played him against Barnsley.I have a feeling Pochettino knows it's all about breaking us down,and will go with Son over dembele and just have Dier as the lone CM.Much like pep Does with fernandinho.Personally happy wanyama is out,think he is stronger than dier in CM.Definately see Antonio on Davies as our main weapon,Davies lack of pace is their only real weakness.
It is strange he uses Dembele against Barnsley, but he did come off with 10 to go whereas Son and Sissoko stayed on for the whole game, hopefully that means he gets the nod. Pochettino really seems to like using Sissoko this season as well, if Dembele isn't fit it wouldn't shock me if he picked instead him over Son. This is what he did in the Everton away game.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

Just a reminder for those who might have either forgotten or missed it completely of this absolute gem from when they visited us at the end of last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2Bbv_BpAQ

Still one of the funniest things I've seen on youtube.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

sendô wrote:Just a reminder for those who might have either forgotten or missed it completely of this absolute gem from when they visited us at the end of last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2Bbv_BpAQ

Still one of the funniest things I've seen on youtube.
6.40-7.20 is superb hahaha