West Ham Utd 1-0 Swansea City (30/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: West Ham United -v- Swansea City : Match Thread

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Billydinho wrote:What is the fascination with Hernandez?

I think he's been quite lively but we haven't had the right players to provide any ammunition as of yet , we need more of Lanzini , Masuaku and Arnautovic on the pitch to see the best of him .
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Poor game but hey in the end 3 points....
Whats with the muggy booing though!! :thdn:
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by woodywoody »

Such a dull game with a late sakho goal papering over the cracks for another week.
WTID
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by WTID »

I think it's fair to say Masuaku deserves a shot at left side of the front 3. His defending needs a lot of work still but going forward he's the most comfortable and more tricks than anyone in the team. He beats players can deliver a good cross and he works hard. Hernandez supposedly didn't train last couple of days so maybe that's the reason he was subbed first. I really hate seeing Carroll starting any time he starts our football is just dire. All we do if the hoof the ball up field. Noble and Ayew should not be starting they are bench players. I really do wonder if we got Carvalho whether Noble would stil be starting. Hopefully Obiang back soon Antonio didnt look fit and Lanzini will need a few games to get up with the pace of the game.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Very much needed 3 points in terms of the big picture, this season. Job done. Winning ugly sometimes just has to happen.....Seems like Noble is struggling a bit so far this season and we are short in terms of midfield. Lanzini will improve things but it seems we need to get a midfield general going forward.
Anyway, 3 points. And momentum going into a very very important series of matches. If we get 12 from 12 out of these 4 games, it makes a HUGE difference in terms of confidence, teamwork, team spirit and obviously points on the board.

Instead of booing, urge the team on as if this was end of season battling stuff.COYI :crest:
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

A much needed three points. Not the greatest spectacle but Lanzini looked absolute class when he came on. Can't wait for him to get up to full match fitness. Masuaku looks great getting forward but he's not the best defensively. Definitely made a case for inclusion in the team though as a left sided midfielder.
Swansea nullified Sp*rs at Wembley though so maybe nicking all thee points with a late goal isn't such a bad result.
Onwards and upwards. COYI. :crest:
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Status Kev wrote:A much needed three points. Not the greatest spectacle but Lanzini looked absolute class when he came on. Can't wait for him to get up to full match fitness. Masuaku looks great getting forward but he's not the best defensively. Definitely made a case for inclusion in the team though as a left sided midfielder.
Swansea nullified Sp*rs at Wembley though so maybe nicking all thee points with a late goal isn't such a bad result.
Onwards and upwards. COYI. :crest:
Except Swansea outplayed us in every area except the one that counts ... that was a relegation performance, thank the stars Swansea can't score, we won't get away with that crap most weeks ....
Bonzos4Lagers
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Bonzos4Lagers »

From the TV, I thought Swansea were extremely well organized defensively, so I give them credit. They will choke the life out of teams.

For the most part, I'd hold Swansea responsible for the quality of the game, but we didn't play intelligently. That being said, the record books will say we won. End of story.

Well done, you Irons
:scarfer:
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

It was dull, turgid, and uninspired......... Three points, and a clean sheet though, so could have been a whole lot worse. This is the team I want to see.........

---------------------- Hart-------------------------

----------Font----Reid-----Ogbonna-------

-----Zab-------------------------------Masuaku

------------Obiang---------Lanzini------------

---Antonio-----------------------Arnautovic-----

---------------------Hernandez------------------
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

As much as I've been really impressed with Masuaku of late, I've equally been disappointed in Cresswell. He deserves benching for Masuaku now or at the least played together down the left.

I actually think Masuaku is a shocking defender (Cresswell does have it in him when confidence is up to play ok at the back) but very good going forward, be it the odd trick, pace and a killer cross in him (before his recent ones on display). I'd happily play Masuaku as a wingback. Not a forward, as I'm not confident enlugh about him in and around the box playing like a Forward would. 1 unchallenged world against the likes of Bolton wouldn't be enough to convince me of that role in the Premier just yet.

Hart

Kouyate Reid Collins

Antonio Obiang Lanzini Noble Masuaku

Hernandez Sakho

Would be who I'd go with after international break against Burnley. That team has balance to me, with just enough protection at the back and attacking intent going forward without being too gun-ho in the middle and just enough creativity to keep the opposition worried. Up front, we need to concentrate more on keeping the ball down and aimed at the channels these 2 love to feed off or knockdowns in the box bouncing around. 2 fox in the boxes will concern any defence. Carroll's had a good run but all this long punt up field is getting beyond tedious from the 1st whistle to the last. He comes on then impacts games then review it again. I'm in no hurry to chuck Arnautovic back in either. He can definitely wait his turn at the minute.

As for selecting Ogbonna again... anyone's welcome to check the results this season whilst he's in the team, then out of it. Back to a clean sheet after we conceded 3 again last week. He's a big reason for our piss poor defending, no question.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

WTID wrote:I think it's fair to say Masuaku deserves a shot at left side of the front 3. His defending needs a lot of work still but going forward he's the most comfortable and more tricks than anyone in the team. He beats players can deliver a good cross and he works hard. Hernandez supposedly didn't train last couple of days so maybe that's the reason he was subbed first. I really hate seeing Carroll starting any time he starts our football is just dire. All we do if the hoof the ball up field. Noble and Ayew should not be starting they are bench players. I really do wonder if we got Carvalho whether Noble would stil be starting. Hopefully Obiang back soon Antonio didnt look fit and Lanzini will need a few games to get up with the pace of the game.
This. If we have Hernandez and Sakho fit then Carroll off the bench for me
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

bubbles1966 wrote:
Like what?

His man of the match performances for a start. He's been our best plauer so far this season, really forcing things to happen, be it a shot, cross, positive pass, winning set pieces and corners. It's him that takes games by the scruff of the neck and hauls us forward. Ok, he's not getting on the end of chances but he's still making a big impact on the team and his absence was obvious compared to when he plays for us (Spurs game recently a snapshot of that). There's a lot more to his game than just goal scoring.

The goals I feel will eventually come but the main thing is he continues to play and drivers forward. His attitude most of the time is very infectious and inspired others to raise their game at times.
Colours never run

hammers92 wrote:Anyone also know what’s Ayew’s real position is? I haven’t got the foggiest anymore

A Forward. He always has been. He never was a winger though. Odd place to stick him and was baffled when I saw him line up at KO there. Anywhere along the Forward line though and he can be effective innthe final third, never the middle third.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

poor game got lucky with the last minute goal. saved slav until the next win game. we will limp through the season. next level ?

ayew is not a winger left sided midfielder. second striker maybe but as usual we play players out of position.
carroll is destroying any pattern of play we may have. hoof ball wins nothing nowadays. He should be on the bench for plan B last 20 mins.

onto burnley for a tough away game. who knows who will be fit after international breaks.

hart
kouyate reid fonte
zabaleta obiang lanzini masuaka
antonio hernandez sakho

subs adrian byram noble ayew carroll sakho arnautovic
shirkhammer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by shirkhammer »

Did anyone look at the directors box with 20 mins to go, bloody empty, even they could not bare to watch any more :thdn:
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 490 likes

Post by Denzil »

So here’s my two pennies from the game yesterday.

First and foremost we won, so job done from that respect. Just.

That game was certainly up there with one of the most flat, dull & uninspired performances I’ve seen in recent years at least. We’ve got off with it purely down to the fact that Swansea are borderline woeful. It should be one of those games at 75 minutes you think to yourself “we’re gonna lose this”, but Swansea were that bad I didn’t worry about that.

I agree that with Carroll in the side we are very one dimensional however I won’t question the tactics as I was actually very keen to see how we’d shape up in a 442 with him and Hernandez up top. It’s pretty evident now though that a 442 is a redundant formation in top flight football.

Not much to shout about or even talk about from the game yesterday, I thought Zabaleta showed his class yet again and is proving to be an exceptional signing for us. Andre Ayew made mistakes that you cringe at if you make them yourself on a Sunday morning, how he’s worth £20m is beyond me.

I didn’t like the booing, not sure what that achieves, especially booing Carroll being announced as MOTM.

Sitting on the train home yesterday and reflecting on not just this game but perhaps the last 18 months, I questioned how far, if at all, have we come since getting rid of Allerdyce? Not only in terms of position in the league but our overall style of play. It seems not at all. 2015/16 seems a million miles away now.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Awful game to watch. We started with what looked like some real intent with an attacking formation and then after about 5 minutes just slipped back into our shells and at times looked absolutely clueless.

A few observations from yesterday:

I have defended Carroll time after time but he really hasn't had a great start to this season and WTF does Bilic say to him before the game ?. He is all over the shop position wise, sometimes on the left wing sometimes on the right, he just plays where he wants! He still makes a lot of headers but he doesn't get any direction and it seems he is happy just to make the header and leave it to luck where the ball ends up. He no longer warrants a starting place and needs to be benched and can be plan B from the bench.

Antonio - the worst I have seen him play. Why was he playing? If that was Bilic's call, and as Manager it certainly should be, then that was a piss poor decision. He was so clearly not up to match fitness it was a waste of time him being on the pitch. I am not digging Antonio out, more the decision to play him in the first place.

Booing started early yesterday.Obviously we are all customers and we pay good money for the privilege of watching, it could be argued that we have the right to voice our disapproval. However, does anyone who was booing yesterday really believe that that will help on the pitch? Discontent in the stands will never help, only hinder. There was a prick sat just over my shoulder a couple of rows behind me who started booing after about 15 minutes and didn't stop moaning about pretty much every player out there and what a useless **** Bilic is.

Bilic's substitutions turned the game yesterday and it could be argued that all three should be starting. Masuaku made a difference against Spurs when he came on and did so again yesterday to a greater effect. I like CresswelI but would stick Arthur in front of him for a few games.

And again, Zabaleta our MOTM. Carroll was never MOTM but bad darts booing the announcement and I appreciate the booing was not aimed at Carroll himslef but again what good does it do?

I can't make the Brighton game so Liverpool will be my next game, will Bilic still be in charge? I am not sure he will.
brewster
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by brewster »

There is something just plain wrong about the way we go about our business on a football field but I can't put my finger on it exactly and that is because it seems to be a combination of things.

We always allow the opposition too much possession in my opinion and are very seldom on the front foot. We should close teams down far better than we do, and show more energy when we haven't got the ball. Swansea's possession was neat and tidy but with no end product and yet we allowed them to play that way, hence the borefest that was yesterday's game though god knows we contributed to it.

By comparison our passing is poor, our judgement when in possession is also poor. We seem to make the wrong decisions at the wrong time. The biggest problem though is a distinct lack of cohesion. Swansea, for all of their awfulness yesterday, still have the ability to find team mates with neat, controlled passing. This is partially due to one of the fundamentals of football which is creating space and giving options to a fellow team member when he's got the ball at his feet. How many times did we see a West Ham player pick up the ball and not have anyone within 10 yards to pass to?

It's funny, there seems to be a good team spirit amongst this lot but sometimes we don't actually play like a team at all but a bunch of individuals.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

WTID wrote:I think it's fair to say Masuaku deserves a shot at left side of the front 3. His defending needs a lot of work still but going forward he's the most comfortable and more tricks than anyone in the team. He beats players can deliver a good cross and he works hard. Hernandez supposedly didn't train last couple of days so maybe that's the reason he was subbed first. I really hate seeing Carroll starting any time he starts our football is just dire. All we do if the hoof the ball up field. Noble and Ayew should not be starting they are bench players. I really do wonder if we got Carvalho whether Noble would stil be starting. Hopefully Obiang back soon Antonio didnt look fit and Lanzini will need a few games to get up with the pace of the game.

Agree with that.

Masuaku provided the crosses for Cheikhou's goal last week, Carroll's flick against the post and Sakho's goal this week.

I'd start him left side of midfield in front of Cresswell (who was poor again yesterday) which would provide Aaron with more cover plus potentially better crosses into opposition box.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I was out and about yesterday, with only the in-car radio for any news. Quite surprised to hear the volume of the boo-ing, tbh - the contrast over the airwaves, between home and away games, is surreal.

Looks to me like another 'papering over the cracks' three points, for Slav and the lads.

Its got me wondering quite how much genuine choice the boss has in terms of selections, because, for the life of me, I cannot see that Carroll is going to score regularly, unless and until he has players out wide who can beat a man and then sling in a cross for him. And, if that seems obvious, why are we persevering with AC in the middle, but square pegs like Ayew out wide? Going forward, we have the players who can perhaps finish a move, but too few actually creating from out wide. Masuaku is clearly the most accurate crosser, so it's on the right that concentration now needs to be trained.

As for defensive needs, can those who were there offer any insight as to how thoroughly Swansea actually worked up a head of steam, in an attacking sense? Do Hart and the lads deserve praise for keeping a clean sheet, or were Swansea playing safe, like Huddersfield and WBA before them?

With yesterday's 3 points, we reached the heights of averaging a point a game, over 7 matches (just shy of 20% of the season). We have played 2 of the teams expected to form part of the top 5. I struggle to see that first eleven troubling the teams that don't have to play the square pegs / round holes routine, but, more worryingly, don't really detect any kind of 'us against the rest' spirit amongst the lads either.