Stoke City 0-3 West Ham Utd (16/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: Stoke City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Billydinho »

If Lanzini didn't play for us you'd all be saying he's a heat and deserves a bam.

Please don't all be hypocrites. It was a dive. If he gets banned we can have no complaints.

No matter our position, diving should never be condoned.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

sutts07 wrote:Premier League will be setting a very dangerous precedent if they ban Lanzini.

Definite contact thigh to thigh. Lanzini anticipated it, and preempted it, but there was contact.

Strong comments from Hughes saying he dived.
"There was contact" :asleep:

Contact isn't a penalty. This Board would be full of complaints tonight if it was the other way around.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Agree with Billy above. It was a dive. And we should call it out for that.

I hope Moyes has a word quietly and tells him less of that.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

OFT wrote:[

Johnny Byrne's Boots"]Lineker's trailer for MOD tonight mentioned a "dive that Tom Daley would be proud of".

Batten down the hatches...
I think he's referring to (Yes) Ndidi.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Billydinho wrote:If Lanzini didn't play for us you'd all be saying he's a heat and deserves a bam.

Please don't all be hypocrites. It was a dive. If he gets banned we can have no complaints.

No matter our position, diving should never be condoned.
There's no argument, he clearly falls with zero contact. I hate to say it, because I love having him in our side, but he definitely deserves the two match ban. I thought they were pretty soft on him on MotD really. Yes, it was stupid defending, but this wasn't "looking for contact" grey area, this was a straight dive with zero contact, and the fact that he dived onto the defender's leg is straw clutching of the highest order.
sosc67

Post by sosc67 »

Both Billyd and Collison are correct in there views have scene worse efforts in diving given penalities and defenders sent off recently and in the past.
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

Moyes was very clever saying he went down due to fatigue

Now back to the FA(if they decide to pursue a charge of diving) to prove otherwise

If they do it’s down to refereeing inept as I’m sure I saw lanzini saying that he didn’t claim a penalty (just as much as referees didn’t deny di caniowa penalty due to that diving prick of a referee )
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes

Post by rciron »

"Get Pullis Back"
:D[/quote]

There were people on here who wanted Pulis,[/quote]
Think my gran had Pulis, terrible thing, twisted up her back and made her walk funny, in the end she used to **** herself a quivering jelly sat babbling in Welsh, proper **** of a thing to get
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes

Post by rciron »

Well done Mark Noble today :crest:
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Emphatic victory - double emphatic actually. It would have been no injustice had the final score been 7-0, such were the chances we missed.

The only disappointments I thought was the time wasting and Antonio's Olympic diving competition. Lanzini's penalty was also a dive to be fair - but then again Stoke have a bit of a history not being too fair themselves over the years.

Great to see a West Ham team working so hard for each other in front of a very appreciative and loud travelling support.

Hope Nobles injury isn't too serious, he is the right man for the job at the moment.
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

Wasn't able to watch today - anyone have a link to a replay or download? Cheers.
JAL76

Post by JAL76 »

Humbug wrote:Agree with other comments regarding 2 leg breaking tackles by Kane and Ali and they just get a yellow card. Okay, Lanzini went down easily but they tried to hack and pull him down twice during his run, so stuff Stoke and Sparky.

:thup: 100 % ......... Cannot believe that some of our own supporters are wishing a two match ban !!
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Very easy handing out retrospective bans to Watford and West Ham players, until the FA grows the balls to hand them to Sterling, Jesus, Ashley Young etc. I’ll treat this new ‘initiative’ for exactly what is.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Lanzini anticipated the move.
There was contact.

It wasn't a dive. It was very soft.
ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by ammo »

Yesterday was one of those ‘special away days’ as a West Ham fan. What a fabulous afternoon.
Just a couple of observations that may or may not have been touched on before.
From where I stood, I thought it was a stonewall penalty, to me it looked like the defender had taken Lanzini out completely and was nowhere near the ball. I haven’t watched a replay though so may change my mind!
Couple of other things that stood out to me, when Nobes scores the pen, all the defence except Adrian came running over to congratulate him and I lost count of the number of times our players threw themselves in front of a Stoke shot. I don’t know what they have done to this team but I’m absolutely loving it and don’t want it to stop. I know we will probably get brought down to earth on Tues or next Sat.

Special mention to outstanding performances from Lanzini, Cresswell, Collins, Rice and of course Arnie, I just knew he would get one in the end. The rest of the team weren’t half bad either. Nobes is a legend.

Only disappointment for me was Michail. Every time he got given the ball, we lost possession. For a strong bloke he was getting outmuscled and looking for the foul all the time. If he was at his best, we would have one scary attack, as it is, it’s like we are playing with 10 players when he is on the pitch. Don’t know what is going on with him but he just doesn’t look happy, fit or interested. The only time when it seems like he might be a threat is when someone plays the ball through for him to run onto, where he has to turn and take on the defender for pace. Perhaps I am being a bit harsh but I know lots of other fans are noticing it too.

All in all though, a fab day out and brilliant football from the boys. Well done West Ham we are proud of you.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Oh come on everyone, it’s a dive. Clear as day. We’d be fuming if that was given against us, no complaints if gets pulled up on that.

I don’t think we played that well actually and got away with a few things due to Stoke being really poor, still a lot of improving to do but a timely and vital result.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

The greatest failed chat up, on the train home at the bar. Very very funny. Pissed West Ham fella buys his 3 bottles of prosecco (no beers left), and says to the girl serving:

‘I Love you, happy birthday. Can I have your number? Are there any crisps left?’

Was very very funny looking at the confused look on her face :D
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

szola wrote:Lanzini anticipated the move.
There was contact.

I want to make myself believe this but somehow I just can't. Though I will say we've had far too many similar decisions go against us in the past. Maybe it's time for video replays??
ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by ammo »

Having now watched the penalty decision replay I agree it was ‘a dive’ and would not have been happy if it was against us. Let’s face it though, how many times have we seen Vardy win a penalty that way? At the end of the day, we were by far the better team and we deserved the win. Hope Manu escapes a respective ban though.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

szola wrote:Lanzini anticipated the move.
There was contact.

Where has this idea come from that just as there is contact it is ok to throw yourself on the floor? A foul to me is when you are forced off your feet or inhibited, not simply touched so have the right to then dive.

It was clearly a dive and he deserves what he gets. May teach him not to cheat again and embarrass the clubs name in doing so. Couldnt care less if it got us a pen our players shouldnt be doing it.

Also well said Billydinho.