AFC Bournemouth 3-3 West Ham Utd (26/12/18)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Post Reply
User avatar
Colours never run
Posts: 14941
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:46 am
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Colours never run » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:27 pm

Up the Junction wrote: Five yards outside the penalty area, roughly central. So in no position whatsoever to overrule his assistant.

Aye and of course unless he has x ray vision, he can't be sure the player didn't handle it or how close the offside decision was and should have trusted his officials decision better placed to see either/or offside/handball. Any way you slice it, the call was a shocking one.

If I was the Lino who made the call, I'd be thinking you ain't got a clue mate.

User avatar
Absolutely Hammered!
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:45 am
Location: Spoons... Table 28... It's on the left.

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Absolutely Hammered! » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Must admit... that's the first time ive ever seen a ref run over to the linesman to convince him that he didn't see what he thinks he saw. :eh:

Really struggling with this.

bowltorious
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Chester

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by bowltorious » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:35 pm

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:Must admit... that's the first time ive ever seen a ref run over to the linesman to convince him that he didn't see what he thinks he saw. :eh:

Really struggling with this.
Along with 99% of the rest of us mate, I don't think I've ever seen that, baffling stuff. How can a man with no way of seeing what happened overule someone who is there to look along the line of play for these exact incidents?

User avatar
Douthy
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Douthy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Can only assume that the lino thought it was handball, not offside, and that the ref felt he had seen it better and that he felt it was not a handball.

All a bit b*llocks to be fair.

User avatar
WorcesterWHU
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:01 am

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by WorcesterWHU » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:Must admit... that's the first time ive ever seen a ref run over to the linesman to convince him that he didn't see what he thinks he saw. :eh:

Really struggling with this.
My only thought here is that the ref doesn't think he's touched the ball. He goes over to the lino and asks him whether he's been flagged because he thought he did touch it.

The ref is convinced there's no touch, ergo not offside.

bowltorious
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Chester

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by bowltorious » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Will be looking forward to the 'analysis' on MOTD, if you can call it that, and also the opposition views.

User avatar
Gerblatz
Posts: 4582
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:16 pm
Location: In a Gadda Da Vida

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Gerblatz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:46 pm

There has got to be a furore kicked up by the club about serious foul play and the refereeing...someone with some conviction and clout at our club needs to stand up and demand they look at the evidence with the same thoroughness that got Lanzini banned...anyone who thinks that these refs and people on the inside of football can’t conspire and collaborate for random moments during games against a particular club - you are wrong. It’s the same as it is when so much is seen to be made that bit easier for certain clubs. It really is that easy to do and wouldn’t take much communication and understanding. We have been stepped on by the authorities in the game since the Tevez issue.

User avatar
Diogenes
Posts: 1156
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Diogenes » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:48 pm

We also need to remember that the player, in an offside position, doesn't even need to touch the ball, just attempt to touch it to become active, which he clearly does. Not sure I would call it conspiracy, but at the very least it is appalling officiating. If the assistant raises his flag, it must be for an infringement and in 99.99% of cases you never see a referee over rule unless he has seen a mitigating circumstance. I struggle to see in this instance what that may be.

Other than that I thought it a cracking game played in atrocious conditions. Although disappointed to lose two points at the end, it was probably a 'fair' result IMO. Still worried about us defensively, but I think Moyes can correct that. What is harder for teams in our position is scoring goals, which I think we have well covered.

Online
User avatar
OFT
Posts: 12351
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Sleepin’ in a bayou on a old rotten cot

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by OFT » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:52 pm

bowltorious wrote:Will be looking forward to the 'analysis' on MOTD, if you can call it that, and also the opposition views.
I'm not sure I've got the temperament to watch it.......in fact I have n't, any smirking or suchlike could put my TV at risk

User avatar
Absolutely Hammered!
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:45 am
Location: Spoons... Table 28... It's on the left.

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Absolutely Hammered! » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:56 pm

WorcesterWHU wrote:
My only thought here is that the ref doesn't think he's touched the ball. He goes over to the lino and asks him whether he's been flagged because he thought he did touch it.

The ref is convinced there's no touch, ergo not offside.
Well if that's the case the ref has majorly gone out of his way to overrule his linesman who has clear sight of it. It actually looks likes he's intimidating him to agree with him. Combine that with the kouyate incident it's hard to see how this isn't personal against West Ham.

User avatar
Colours never run
Posts: 14941
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:46 am
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Colours never run » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Gerblatz wrote:There has got to be a furore kicked up by the club about serious foul play and the refereeing...someone with some conviction and clout at our club needs to stand up and demand they look at the evidence with the same thoroughness that got Lanzini banned...anyone who thinks that these refs and people on the inside of football can’t conspire and collaborate for random moments during games against a particular club - you are wrong. It’s the same as it is when so much is seen to be made that bit easier for certain clubs. It really is that easy to do and wouldn’t take much communication and understanding. We have been stepped on by the authorities in the game since the Tevez issue.


It really does stem way back to that initially. We were hated by most of the footballing world after that happened and it isn't just the last 3 season's we've suffered with awful decisions.

I really do think that in the back of their minds they don't like us and want to see us do poorly.

User avatar
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Posts: 20474
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: the red house over yonder

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:...............................

it's hard to see how this isn't personal against West Ham.
I wonder if the very loud and clearly audible chant of "You're just a c**t with a whistle" after the foot-in-the-face incident got to him :twisted:

User avatar
Skandi Brudson
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:41 pm
Location: Lurksville

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Skandi Brudson » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Gerblatz wrote:There has got to be a furore kicked up by the club about serious foul play and the refereeing...someone with some conviction and clout at our club needs to stand up and demand they look at the evidence with the same thoroughness that got Lanzini banned...anyone who thinks that these refs and people on the inside of football can’t conspire and collaborate for random moments during games against a particular club - you are wrong. It’s the same as it is when so much is seen to be made that bit easier for certain clubs. It really is that easy to do and wouldn’t take much communication and understanding. We have been stepped on by the authorities in the game since the Tevez issue.
That should be the owners you’d imagine but I wonder if anyone takes them seriously in any respect

User avatar
e-20
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:01 pm
Location: London ish
Contact:

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by e-20 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm

... And we are told that referees get the major decisions right what is it 95% of the time from the powers that be. Yet another mathmatical Improbability (I would claim impossible) of course in such a complex business. But once again the available evidence we/anybody can call upon would suggest they would be lucky to exceed 75% ands that's being generous. Fact is like all establishments wherever you find them they have a touch of Sullivan about them ie 'truth is what we say it is' they just say it with the authority of a posher accent.

User avatar
prophet:marginal
Posts: 29079
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Boleyn Ground, Westham United Football Club, Green St, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:09 pm

OK, devil's advocacy time:

What if the ref thought that

(a) the player was level, or so close to level that the benefit of the doubt was in his favour, and
(b) the handball was accidental, after it had brushed off his head.

Would the goal still fairly and, more importantly, correctly stand?

User avatar
HammerMan2004
Posts: 21865
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: I have no idea.

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by HammerMan2004 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:11 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:OK, devil's advocacy time:

What if the ref thought that

(a) the player was level, or so close to level that the benefit of the doubt was in his favour, and
(b) the handball was accidental, after it had brushed off his head.

Would the goal still fairly and, more importantly, correctly stand?
But why would the ref think he was level, if the lino was flagging? He simply has to use his lino for that decision.

He should have to face the media and explain it.

User avatar
prophet:marginal
Posts: 29079
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Boleyn Ground, Westham United Football Club, Green St, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:13 pm

I wasn't watching at the time (and haven't seen the linesman flag).

Was he indicating 'handball' or 'offside'?

Online
User avatar
Tenbury
Posts: 4032
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:28 pm
Location: Too near Kidderminster

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Tenbury » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Interviewed on 5live after the game, Wilson admitted it was a handball.By still claiming the goal therefore,he is guilty of serious misconduct. Clearly a long suspension will ensue.........

User avatar
Hampshire Hammer
Posts: 8952
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Somewhere south of sanity

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Hampshire Hammer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:14 pm

The linesman has presumably flagged for offside, the ref can only say not if he doesn't believe that Wilson is interfering. So consultation could only be "did he touch it?". I assume the ref and Bournemouth players pressured the linesman to say he wasn't sure.

Madely should serve a ban but the powers that be will feel that they have to back him.

bowltorious
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Chester

Re: AFC Bournemouth vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by bowltorious » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:16 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:OK, devil's advocacy time:

What if the ref thought that

(a) the player was level, or so close to level that the benefit of the doubt was in his favour, and
(b) the handball was accidental, after it had brushed off his head.

Would the goal still fairly and, more importantly, correctly stand?
If the ball hits your hand and goes in regardless of whether you meant it then it shouldn't stand.

Post Reply