West Ham Utd 2-1 West Bromwich Albion (02/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v West Bromwich Albion: match thread

Post by steps »

Seen a few tweets from people who were close to the Livermore incident saying the offender shouted something about him being a cocaine using Y-word, not what’s being reported.

Not that I condone it just passing on what I’ve read.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

sendô wrote:If someone dug me out for the loss of my child I'd be inclined to want to kick **** out of them too. Not a particularly nice thing to say, but sadly we all have these sorts of fans.
As idiotic as the comment made may have been, there is nothing to suggest from those close to the incident that his child was mentioned in any way.
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

Didn't we also sing some pretty vile things at roeder back in the day, and I remember a ref that had a farm during the foot and mouth out break that got some abuse, didn't he walk of crying. We have some bad fans but we have a number of top lads also
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Billi Bollox wrote:I just watched the highlights and the thing the struck me was how many empty seats were visible...
ssshhhh

i get a free upgrade every match
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Players taking abuse at football matches has always happened and I don't see how this is any different to the abuse dished out to Arnie at Stoke recently, he even had Mark Hughes abusing him!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

sutts07 wrote:
Obiang let him run a bloody long way to be fair. Leaves CB's with a tough call to make once we let runners clean through.
The first goal was down to Kouyate's supreme laziness

Adrian could have done better though tbf
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

steps wrote:Seen a few tweets from people who were close to the Livermore incident saying the offender shouted something about him being a cocaine using Y-word, not what’s being reported.

Not that I condone it just passing on what I’ve read.
He can't deny that can he.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

noble made the difference

reid was woeful - kouyate should be CB

Adrian has tied down the keepers shirt - loved the way he celebrated the winner
Arnie didnt want to leave the pitch
lanzini played well too

nice to get a last minute winner for a change

nice to walk out of the stadium smiling for once
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Harry Hound wrote:Players taking abuse at football matches has always happened and I don't see how this is any different to the abuse dished out to Arnie at Stoke recently, he even had Mark Hughes abusing him!
Having comments made to you about your dead child (allegedly) are somewhat different to being called a Judas.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

West Brom we’re defintiely tiring, and making mistakes, towards the last 20 minutes. We were not. Which is quite the turnaround.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Happyhammer52 wrote: Having comments made to you about your dead child (allegedly) are somewhat different to being called a Judas.
Again... This is now being widely reported by those who were actually close to the incident as inaccurate and it seems as though nothing about his child was actually said.

Adding 'allegedly' after a false accusation doesn't make it acceptable.
Finishing Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Finishing Hammer »

I'm going to take a stab and assume that Reid is injured. I watched him closely in the replay and think he was deliberately favouring one side. Don't think he kicked a ball with his left. Certainly didn't commit to a tackle like he usually does.

I also thought Moyes should have changed things after 30mins as Masuaku was being schooled by Dawson. Swap him to the other side and see what happens.

Kouyate really struggles to get control of the ball doesn't he? Needs 3 touches minimum.

Lanzini and Arnie are our best ball players. It's a pity Hernandez hasn't built a rapport with those two as it would be divine. Not sure if that is because he hasn't been given sufficient time, has no confidence or just lazy.

A very crucial win however if I was Moyes and I wanted to play Carroll then I would be working A LOT on service to him and movement. Not just movement by Carroll but by others too.

I'm pleased for the team that we got the win and in the manner in which we won.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Livermore will most likely be advised to say that whatever was actually said he thought a direct reference was made to his child.
Harry Hound

Post by Harry Hound »

Happyhammer52 wrote:"Harry Hound"Players taking abuse at football matches has always happened and I don't see how this is any different to the abuse dished out to Arnie at Stoke recently, he even had Mark Hughes abusing him!

Having comments made to you about your dead child (allegedly) are somewhat different to being called a Judas.
I'm not condoning the abuse but as far as I'm aware the abuse towards him was that he was "a shxx footballer and a cocaine abusing (Y word)" no mention of his dead child. If indeed the abuse was referencing his dead child then it's well out of order, tasteless and not in the least bit clever but this sort of thing does still happen every week at football (it shouldn't but it does) and his reaction would be understood by many.
Stringey
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Stringey »

johnnyb wrote:Have to hold my hands up and say that Mark Noble made all the difference in the second half. I've been very critical of him in the past but how refreshing it was to see someone in central midfield who could actually pass the ball..
I too have been one of Mark Nobles biggest critics the last 18 months, but full credit to him he seems to be more like his old self under Moyes. He seems to relish the leadership role he has, once again, which was non existent under Bilic.
Thought Arnie has been superb for us the last 8 games or so, never stopped running last night and stood out for his effort alone in a poor first half. Far from the lazy, non working player I watched for the first 2 months of the season, a complete transformation, just hope he continues to perform.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

It doesn't matter what was shouted at Livermore, the press will report whatever they want to report. And what they'll want to report is how awful West Ham's fans are, and how they all should go to prison for 100 years.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Harry Hound wrote:
I'm not condoning the abuse but as far as I'm aware the abuse towards him was that he was "a shxx footballer and a cocaine abusing (Y word)" no mention of his dead child. If indeed the abuse was referencing his dead child then it's well out of order, tasteless and not in the least bit clever but this sort of thing does still happen every week at football (it shouldn't but it does) and his reaction would be understood by many.
Let's face it, he has taken god knows how much abuse about the whole cocaine thing, that isn't going to rile him.

If he has misheard the Y word for "kid" then the comments before hand would have to be in context to make any sense.

Good to see that the club are investigating though, hopefully get to the bottom of it.
Juliansleftfoot

Post by Juliansleftfoot »

only1post wrote:The God Squad were on the 18:31 Grays to West Ham train last night.
For the whole 26 minute journey it was:
Repent, Repent, Jesus is coming, Jesus is coming,he will save us.
They would not stop even when I pointed it to them that we were in a "Quiet Zone" carriage.
Little did I know that in a couple of hours time the saviour would indeed appear before me.
I just was not expecting him to be a six foot four Geordie with a number 9 on his back.
COYI.
Best post I've read on here all season! Magnificent.

:thup:
SXreject

Post by SXreject »

IF it was abuse about his kid then I cant blame him and who wouldnt act the same no matter where you are and who you are.

It will come out in the wash if it was a coke/Spurs thing, but hell say he miss heard kid for Spurs I suppose!
Harry Hound

Post by Harry Hound »

I thought considering the circumstances with this being a "must win" game we did OK. We were far more lively and entertaining than similar games in the last few seasons under both Allardyce (Hull) or Slav (Burnley). For a cold wet mid week bottom of the table game with the added relevance of Pardew being in charge at WBA we never looked scared or toothless. Their goal was basically due to a mistake from Reid and a lucky deflection. We had plenty of decent chances to get an equaliser and once Noble came on to shore up the midfield and started to dictate the play and put in some decent passes the result was never really in doubt and I was actually not even surprised when we scored in injury time. We're a lot better than many on here seem to think, once we sort out Kouyate and the midfield to take some pressure off the defense and get Creswell to whip in crosses like he used to we'll be doing fine.