FAC3: Shrewsbury Town F.C. 0-0 West Ham United (07/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Re: Shrewsbury Town F.C. v West Ham United: Match thread

Post by sutts07 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:I think the calls for our 'youngsters' to come into the starting XI will quieten.
I think Cullen showed enough to be considered as and when Noble is out. He looked a lot more comfortable on the ball than either Kouyate or Obiang have in recent weeks.

Rice was my man of the match and week on week must be pushing a starting place.

Burke, as mentioned above, was poor first half but he is never a wing back. Looked better as a right back, but still not his role.

Martinez worked harder in his limited minutes than either Ayew or Hernandez. That is good enough for me! Much rather turn to someone who is going to come on and run his nuts off as opposed to someone who clearly wants away.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:How can you say that? We were arse yesterday. I think the calls for our 'youngsters' to come into the starting XI will quieten.
Well against Arsenal I didn't see players getting stuck in and prepared to go back out there having lost a tooth for the cause. I thought we played the game like it was a friendly. We also didn't get a decent attack together or look like scoring.

Yesterday, we were pretty awful, but I thought the effort was there from the majority of players. We were just extremely crap and seemed content to hoof the ball forward and by pass the midfield. Had we brought the midfield into it, we would have looked a lot better.

Of the youngsters, I thought Cullen did okay and certainly got around the pitch. You'll notice that they could have won it at the end when Burke slipped up - but two players managed to get back and put in the tackle to keep us in the Cup - one of them was Cullen.
Burke was disappointing to say the least, but playing out of position. Rice did well. Martinez looked lively but was only given a short time.

Overall, better than the League Cup QF.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Estuary wrote:A replay should allow the players who played yesterday a chance to redeem themselves, only Hart and Rice were on par.
With Huddersfield and Bournemouth either side , I can't see such a senior team being sent out for the replay .

It may be Cullen, Burke, Rice, Samuelson, Quina, Martinez ,Oxford Hart and 3 senior players .

Not, in itself, necessarily a bad thing .
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Mayday wrote:Yes. Cullen RW, Burke RB.
Rice LB, Masuaku LW.
Reid and Oggy CBs
Two donkeys in the middle and two non existent players up front.
That was how I saw it too.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 409 likes

Post by dodger »

hadleighhammer wrote:
Morning Dave.
Ha! As one of their fiercest critics I take that as an insult.

What I mean by the wait and see who we draw comment is that yes, if we are drawn away to Man City in round 4 we should think about how much we prioritise that game. Equally, however, if we draw an eminently more winnable opponent or a rival, we should be putting more into the cup than ever.

Basically, it’s useful to know who you might be playing in the future as it makes it easier to plan out what we need to do.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 285 likes
Total likes: 996 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

dodger wrote: What I mean by the wait and see who we draw comment is that yes, if we are drawn away to Man City in round 4 we should think about how much we prioritise that game. Equally, however, if we draw an eminently more winnable opponent or a rival, we should be putting more into the cup than ever.
Why bother entering we might have got them in the 3rd round.

Everybody seems delighted we threw a cup quarter final and now we should throw the 3rd round replay if the 4th round looks difficult. We can't win the league this year maybe we should play the kids every week, instead of proritising making the owners wealthier. Be an open top bus for finishing 7th next.

Sorry Dodger its not you specifically I just despair of modern football. People paying through the nose year after year to watch a competition we can't win and then saying we should throw cup games because we can't win. Its just mind boggling to me
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Moyes was always going to rest players, have to remember that cullen and burke not only havent played, they have barely trained with the squad...and then were played out of position... its no surprise the football was disjointed and we didnt look at the races

that said, i cannot fathom why we cannot pass and move and keep posession longer than 3 or 4 passes without an aimless forward hoof...i am tired of surrendering posession to all and sundrie...i understand you have to against the big boys, but against a league 1 team?? we should be able to pass and move them off the park

i was reminded by one supporter yesterday that possession does not win football matches...and to a certain degree, i agree...however, tell that to man city...also, if you have the ball and make the other lot chase, you wear them down and break their spirit....

get it on the deck and learn how to pass 5 yards again please
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

No point of trying to go further in the FA Cup in case we get a big team, just lose 0-1 in the replay and get it over with.

The League Cup Semi Finals were there for the taking but the club didn't want it even after getting though rounds 2, 3 and beating Spurs away in the 4th round.

Could be like this season after season now :thdn:
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

dodger wrote: Morning Dave.
Purposefully left it as Dave as could have been interpreted as Sully or Moyes. :wink:
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Why bother entering we might have got them in the 3rd round.

Everybody seems delighted we threw a cup quarter final and now we should throw the 3rd round replay if the 4th round looks difficult. We can't win the league this year maybe we should play the kids every week, instead of proritising making the owners wealthier. Be an open top bus for finishing 7th next.

Sorry Dodger its not you specifically I just despair of modern football. People paying through the nose year after year to watch a competition we can't win and then saying we should throw cup games because we can't win. Its just mind boggling to me
All of this :thup:

Staying on the Premier League greed train has embarrassingly become the be all and end all now. All for what - just to make some billionaire owners richer and see Man Citys superstars as well?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

jacko wrote:I didn't know what was worse, Reece Burke's first half performance or his haircut.
I don't think he performance was that bad!

His barnet is, however, a shocker.

Added to that, but, whisper it, he looks a lot like a very young John Terry
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 49 likes
Total likes: 206 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

With regard to the replay.

Are we expecting reduced prices etc?

Thinking I might go if about £20 a ticket?
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

One Peter Butler wrote:With regard to the replay.

Are we expecting reduced prices etc?

Thinking I might go if about £20 a ticket?
I reckon £5 kids, £10 adults.
Tenbury
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 1190 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Can't believe some of the stuff on here. ' draw was a decent result', need to prioritise the league', and so forth.We were absolute :thdn: Stank the place out. Apart from their tired little legs,and the introduction of inexperienced young shavers giving their all on minimum wages,what excuse was there for it? Yes,I was at Emley,and Grimsby,but I can't remember such lack of intent.

Yesterday's performance against the mighty Shrewsbury leads me to two possible conclusions :

1 Our only raison d'etre from now and forever,is to finish above the bottom 3in the PL.
2) This manager is incapable of sending out a side with any sense of attacking intent.

.....or maybe both.....
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2058 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

From the Opposition View
"Javier Hernandez cost them £17million - more than our ground and entire team cost. He has played nearly 100 international games for Mexico, including World Cups yet he didn’t get a shot at goal all match and just moaned and fell over all match. Sums up how ridiculous the Premier League and all its money is."
- mattmw
Read more at http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132049 ... IGFlzRC.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This. A thousand times this.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 610 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

My view.

We set up with no real intent to do anything than counter attack, which is fine when you are playing a top six side away, but against League 1 opposition, we could and should have been more positive. Moyes and Hart acknowledged this.

Hart seemed solid enough but his distribution is poor, often kicking low and flat at chest height which is very difficult to control. Made a couple of bread and butter saves but didn't command his area. His communication seemed poor at times.

Burke looked lost first half. Couple of times he didn't know what to do as league 1 players played triangles around him. Clumsy in the tackle and not the quickest. Settled better second half but looked poor compared to the impressive Rice.

Ogbonna was solid enough, got pulled left a few times but played steadily enough.

Reid was our best player first half. Second half got caught out of position a couple of times and looks a player lacking confidence. Good in the air poor on the deck, especially in the tackle where he tends to over commit.

Rice looked mature and composed beyond his years. Tried to be positive from the start and good with the ball at his feet or covering players out of position. My MOM.

Kouyate was awful and not for the first time this season. Doesn't commit to the tackle, runs into dead ends and loses possession too often. I would have sold him back in the summer. Doesn't fit our team.

Obiang wasn't much better. Slow in midfield and slow in anticipating the ball. One good foray forward in the second half.

Cullen was awful first half, giving away possession and free kicks. He may have been on the right, but he wasn't asked to be Antonio. More composed in the second half, but looked the level of his league 1 opposites.

Ayew ran around a lot and put his foot in, but looked disinterested, almost playing in a free role behind the striker. It didn't suit him or us and faded badly as the game went on.

Hernandez showed why his last club didn't blink when offered £16 million for him. Disinterested, lack of commitment and heart. Get rid.

The subs didn't make much of a difference and as a team, we were outplayed and worse for me, looked disinterested against a well organised but technically lacking league 1 team. Too many shrugs as the ball went past or believing that the empty centre circle was part of our strike force.

Moyes is struggling to deal with the under investment in the summer and 'don't lose' seems to be the order of the day. Its boring, functional football for the money men not the supporter. Honestly if all you want from football is a team sat mid table with no ambition other than not getting relegated then you have got your wish.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Should we go down and Shrewsbury go up, would anyone be pleased if we played like that against them next season?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1042 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Billydinho wrote:Should we go down and Shrewsbury go up, would anyone be pleased if we played like that against them next season?
Not really.

Would you have been happy if we had a played an open game (disregarding their form, the players available to us, the week we've had, etc) and were not now in the cup?
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 610 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

westlondonhammer wrote:
Not really.

Would you have been happy if we had a played an open game (disregarding their form, the players available to us, the week we've had, etc) and were not now in the cup?
I would have been happier playing as if we wanted to win rather than avoid losing. Playing an open game an losing are not mutually exclusive are they?

Who knows, we may have nicked an early goal and gone on to dominate.

It felt like a loss yesterday. We looked less like West Ham United and more like West Ham London
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

Tenbury wrote: 1 Our only raison d'etre from now and forever,is to finish above the bottom 3in the PL.
2) This manager is incapable of sending out a side with any sense of attacking intent.

.....or maybe both.....
I think the intent was there, it was the application - or lack of - by the front two and the lack of support from the midfield two. Reece Burke isn't a RWB, so rarely got forward in the same way as Zab does. Cullen being pushed inside and further forward helped - but where was Obiang/Kouyate? And even though some have said they shouldn't have been playing, who else was there? On paper that team was strong enough to beat a league 1 team. Noble, Lanzini, Arnie, Antonio, Carroll, Cresswell, Zabaletta, all injured or recovering after three games in a week - seven first team players who'd normally be starters, meant this was always going to be tougher than it looked on paper. And pressing Reid to play when clearly not fit/injured didn't end well, either.

And after the horrendous start to the season, if the manager's objective *this season* is survival, and he manages it with this wafer thin squad, good on him.