FAC3: Shrewsbury Town F.C. 0-0 West Ham United (07/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: Shrewsbury Town F.C. v West Ham United: Match thread

Post by hadleighhammer »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Playing an open game an losing are not mutually exclusive are they?
Since the club was infected by The Oaf many seem to think they are.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1042 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

bristolhammerfc wrote:I would have been happier playing as if we wanted to win rather than avoid losing. Playing an open game an losing are not mutually exclusive are they?

Who knows, we may have nicked an early goal and gone on to dominate.

It felt like a loss yesterday. We looked less like West Ham United and more like West Ham London
Not at all mutually exclusive.

Nobody knows and we could well have gone on to perform like you are suggesting. It was just a hypothetical question as billy's was.

I was really pissed off after the game yesterday. Today I'm just relieved to still be in the cup and that we still have a chance to win it. I've seen enough embarrassing cup losses over the years to lower league teams to re-assure me that this is still West Ham United :wink:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 3415 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Shrewsbury Town
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132049
BondsoBob
Has liked: 577 likes
Total likes: 523 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

It is patently obvious that the club hierarchy and Moyes are not interested in any of the cups.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a similar performance in the replay. With this time Shrewsbury winning.
Phil S
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Shrewsbury Town
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132049
noticeable different response than you'd get from a top tier teams fans

and bang on in the main

I enjoyed yesterday despite the result
It feels real and beats the hell out of the premier league
If we go down and stay down, so be it
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

I'm going to defend Hernandez. He may look disinterested in the game but he still ran balls down and generally got himself involved, despite a lack of class.

I can completely understand his frustrations. The man is well beneath 6ft and yet our central defenders consistently think he has a chance of winning headers against burly defenders. Our tactics really are shocking when he's on the pitch. Hernandez is a natural poacher and goal scorer, but has had next to nothing in terms of service since coming back from injury.

Without Lanzini and Arnie, we offer nothing creative going forward. Big balls up to Andy Carroll seems to be our plan B and so obvious that he is double marked against team's with half an inch of sense.

Hernandez would have easily scored 15+ goals in that first season under Bilic.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 75 likes
Total likes: 304 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:I'm going to defend Hernandez. He may look disinterested in the game but he still ran balls down and generally got himself involved, despite a lack of class.

I can completely understand his frustrations. The man is well beneath 6ft and yet our central defenders consistently think he has a chance of winning headers against burly defenders. Our tactics really are shocking when he's on the pitch. Hernandez is a natural poacher and goal scorer, but has had next to nothing in terms of service since coming back from injury.

Without Lanzini and Arnie, we offer nothing creative going forward. Big balls up to Andy Carroll seems to be our plan B and so obvious that he is double marked against team's with half an inch of sense.

Hernandez would have easily scored 15+ goals in that first season under Bilic.
It would help if this supposedly world class player could complete one pass when he does actually have the ball and there are players near him.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

We put out a team that should have been good enough to beat Shrewsbury if they play to their ability and apply themselves professionally.

It doesn't matter what the manager's intention is when players seem unable to do the basics.

Without Noble there is no leadership on the pitch so we drift until half time when Moyes has to deliver the inevitable rocket.

I find it inconceivable that a Premier League team cannot seem to gain control of parts of the game that are not working but seem to have to be told what to do from the sidelines all the time.

I don't believe any tactics will work if you continually give the ball away under no pressure and your players do not apply themselves properly,

Only Cullen out of the front six applied himself properly, all of the rest disappointed in one way or another.

No team can carry five players for 90 minutes.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

BondsoBob wrote:It is patently obvious that the club hierarchy and Moyes are not interested in any of the cups.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a similar performance in the replay. With this time Shrewsbury winning.
I dreamed a groundhog dream last night, involving a sneaky (a la Accrington) result in the replay, followed up by precisely the same turnout in round 4, but this time at Rochdale.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bristolhammerfc wrote: I would have been happier playing as if we wanted to win rather than avoid losing. Playing an open game an losing are not mutually exclusive are they?

Who knows, we may have nicked an early goal and gone on to dominate.

It felt like a loss yesterday. We looked less like West Ham United and more like West Ham London
Absolutely spot on

It seems that anyone who criticises performances that lead to 4 touches in the opposition box, either against a better team (Arsenal or Spurs) ore a worse team (Shrewsbury), must want us to play balls and all attacking, kamikaze football that will lead to a guaranteed thrashing (Spurs) or a cup upset (Shrewsbury)

How about finding a relatively decent balance that keeps us solid and somewhat organised but doesn't mean that crossing the halfway line is a cause for celebration. That should be possible for a Premier League club
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I genuinely can't believe people are trying to justify that performance yesterday and the more I reflect on it the more embarrassing and mystifying it gets.

We were playing a League One side who are punching above their weight in the division. Who cares what their home record is, who cares if they're top of the league, they are Shrewsbury Town who have spent the best of the last five years in league Two or below.

And we couldn't muster a shot on target. We started with (at least) two holding midfielders. Against a League One side.

We had four touches in the penalty area. We had 44% possession. We played one creative player. We left two young flair players on the bench.

Against a League One side.

Yet still some of you defend it...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Billydinho wrote:Yet still some of you defend it...
We hung the kids out to dry against Forest , by we, I mean Samuel , and got humiliated 0-5 .Out of the cup and getting laughed at by people from the Midlands .

Yesterday we made sure we got to be in the hat tonight and earned ourselves another chance at going through .

Which was better ?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by Billydinho »

It's not one extreme or the other Pinky and you know that.

I'm not arrogant enough to believe we should simply roll over League One sides, what I do expect is us to at least compete.

This is going back to Allardyce-ball.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Billy I'm not sure it is .

We have a relatively recently appointed manager , one who himself may have been short on confidence, taking charge of a squad with all sorts of problems and with owners no sane person would want to work for .

He's trying to please his masters without completely falling out with the supporters .Had he played Carroll, Sakho, Noble, and Arnie yesterday and won , but then ended up losing to Huddersfield and Bournemouth he would have kissed goodbye to any chance of getting the job full time .

The Chairman has him by the short and curlies .

The environment in which he is working is far from ideal and I just think we need to cut him some slack until , maybe, he has had 2 full windows to bring in at least some of his own picks .

Who in the bottom half of our division is really playing well at the moment ? Who would you pay to watch as a neutral ?
artlin

Post by artlin »

I understand and sympathise with the comments above and kind of agree with the sentiments.

However, what struck me was the different style of play coming from the home side. Clearly, something our lot is not used to or has fotgotten about.

I am not saying that they are a Sunday team, far from it just that they played with more muscle and less skill.

And our team then tried to match them. Big mistake. We should have played our way.

Moyes was not overly concerned though otherwise he would have changed things at half time.

Also, since when is kicking so high that you knock a guys teeth out not a foul?? We have all seen yellow cards issued for much less dangerous kicks but this is just par for the course in Salop.

Plus side, we may be **** but at least we are not Arsenal.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I'm not defending it but I can't see how any team can win a game when half the side have a poor game.

Hernandez, Ayew, Masuaka, Kouyate and Obiang looked like they had never played together before.

Intent/tactics? How can you tell what they were yesterday?

I don't believe any manager sends a team out to constantly lose possession, lose practically every 50/50 challenge and do absolutely nothing with the ball.

It seems it is the Manager's fault when this happens. This has been a recurring problem in recent seasons.

The constant is the players - courtesy of our appalling recruitment policy.
Tenbury
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 1190 likes

Post by Tenbury »

[quote="the pink palermo"]

[quote]

Just him? At least that ****er's getting paid for it.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

the pink palermo wrote: Who would you pay to watch as a neutral ?
Palace - always something happening at the end of a match.

Them aside, Bournemouth at least have a go in attack, even if their defence is a liability.

You must be contemplating renewal with a heavy heart, surely?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:Billy I'm not sure it is .

We have a relatively recently appointed manager , one who himself may have been short on confidence, taking charge of a squad with all sorts of problems and with owners no sane person would want to work for .

He's trying to please his masters without completely falling out with the supporters .Had he played Carroll, Sakho, Noble, and Arnie yesterday and won , but then ended up losing to Huddersfield and Bournemouth he would have kissed goodbye to any chance of getting the job full time .

The environment in which he is working is far from ideal and I just think we need to cut him some slack until , maybe, he has had 2 full windows to bring in at least some of his own picks .

Who in the bottom half of our division is really playing well at the moment ? Who would you pay to watch as a neutral ?
I think the point is that playing, say Saed instead of Kouyate, or pushing the wing backs much higher up the pusitch, or giving Cullen a central role further forward with a licence to get ahead of the ball, would not automatically mean a defeat.

We are not talking about a change from all out defence to all out attack, just a small change in tactics and mindset here and there

Regardless of the players available, there really is no defending a performance where we only had 4 touches in the penalty box of a division 3 team - it was a similar story away at Arsenal in the cup and against Spurs last week
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

prophet:marginal wrote:
Palace - always something happening at the end of a match.

Them aside, Bournemouth at least have a go in attack, even if their defence is a liability.
We get to see them in the space of a week or so at the end of the month and it will be interesting to see how all three teams address the 6 pointers .In all honesty I've generally enjoyed watching Howe's team, as for Palace, take Zaha out and I'm not too sure I'd find all that much to keep me going back .
prophet:marginal wrote: You must be contemplating renewal with a heavy heart, surely?
Not quite but I do get where Billy and some others are coming from .

At the moment we are a difficult watch , but we have been for a season and a half and consequently I'm reluctant to lay all the blame at the door of the dour scot .

For all of that time we have had an unbalanced squad, gaps all over it , little pace , poor movement and a general level of disorganisation .Much of that continues - as illustrated by the Joe Hart missing cap fiasco .

Tragically we have an owner who clearly knows little about the game despite working in and around it for nearly half his working life .His interference casts a shadow over the whole club , sets the tone and to far to great an extent determines recruitment and even tactics
I'll stick at it for now though if for no other reason than to see Sullivan off .

Interesting though that the clubs you would consider watching in the lower half have both out spent us in the transfer market in recent times .

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: We are not talking about a change from all out defence to all out attack, just a small change in tactics and mindset here and there

Regardless of the players available, there really is no defending a performance where we only had 4 touches in the penalty box of a division 3 team - it was a similar story away at Arsenal in the cup and against Spurs last week
Again I'm not so sure Crouchy .Sunday was such an obvious banana skin we simply had to avoid it .

One way of course is just go out and play them off the park but it rarely works like that , we've all seen some great teams get turned over in cup games, let alone our current side .

I actually spent the 2nd half counting our touches inside their box - it was one touch, off Ayews head , and that's it .

We're still in the competition though , and not everyone can say that .Would I like to watch that every week ? Not on your nelly .Do I understand why the manager played that way ? Yep , all day long .