FAC4: Wigan Athletic 2-0 West Ham Utd (27/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DustyHammer
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: Wigan Athletic v West Ham Utd: FA Cup 4th rnd match thread

Post by DustyHammer »

Just got back. For my sins I was in amongst the Wigan fans.

Atmosphere a lot better there than I'd expected actually. Pretty much the only positive.

Ogbonna was good, Martinez and Hernandez were both quite poor. Everyone else, meh.

I was pretty impressed with Oxford as well. He's quick, strong, put in a couple of monster tackles and was marshalling Byram/ Cullen when they were out of position. He made one or two great runs upfield that were completely missed by our midfield. Wasn't an amazing performance but it certainly showed promise.

Selling him would be a big mistake.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Wouldn’t mind knowing what others thought of Oxford. I thought he looked weak. That said perhaps my vision was blurred through alcohol and anger. :D
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Premier league survival is all tjhis club. Is interested in and the sky money . under these owners we are in limbo going nowhere they dont give a shat about us supporters :crest:
Last edited by Hatcham Iron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

BondsoBob wrote:Serious question. Is there anyone on here who thinks West Ham United went into that game with any intent of trying/wanting to win it ?
I know the point you are making but I can't not believe that Moyes and our players wanted to win today.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Wouldn’t mind knowing what others thought of Oxford. I thought he looked weak. That said perhaps my vision was blurred through alcohol and anger. :D
He had that look of someone who wants to go back to Germany to play for his loan club and therefore doesn’t want to put any effort in or get injured... you know, THAT look.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

It's the traveling away fans that I feel sorry for.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:It's the traveling away fans that I feel sorry for.
Totaly agree well doneall who had to suffer that garbage
Last edited by Hatcham Iron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DustyHammer
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by DustyHammer »

jastons wrote:
I know the point you are making but I can't not believe that Moyes and our players wanted to win today.
Moyes might not have been fussed. But that could well be Hart's last game this season, probably finished his WC chances. Those young players will have been desperate to impress as well.

The first team regulars probably weren't up for it either.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Waiting for some silly little **** to tell me we're better off out the cup because we can focus on finishing between 17th and 10th now.

Season is finished for me...absolutely f*** all to play for that will matter to the fans.

Fully expect the same b*llocks next season.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

DDHammer wrote:Waiting for some silly little **** to tell me we're better off out the cup because we can focus on finishing between 17th and 10th now.

Season is finished for me...absolutely **** all to play for that will matter to the fans.

Sullivan you mean?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Is it two shots on target over our last four cup matches?
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

DDHammer wrote:Waiting for some silly little **** to tell me we're better off out the cup because we can focus on finishing between 17th and 10th now.
Season is finished for me...absolutely **** all to play for that will matter to the fans.
Look on the bright side.
Nope, can't think of one...
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

Whilst I don’t think we’re better out of the Cup we had a whole 11 on the treatment table and another sent off. Wigan are a decent side on a good run who will be in the Champs next season and who just beat Bournemouth and who were simply better than us on the day. I was there and it was poor but with the team we had on the pitch plus Obiang and then the sending off I wasn’t that surprised.

It was a bigger game for them than us as a lower division team. Spurs almost lost to Newport with an almost full strength team and one of the best strikers in the world saved them late on. Liv just lost to a weakened WB at home.

Cup shocks happen all the time so I really don’t feel it’s much to do with lack of effort or wanting to go out of the Cup. They were better on the day. End of
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Is it two shots on target over our last four cup matches?
I think we had more v Man City in the infamous LC Sem 2nd Leg at UP after losing the 1st 6-0

But v Shrewsbury and Wigan there tough places to go for limp wristed soft lads

No intent to win the last 3 cup games, must be safe beforehand

:thdn:
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

daveo wrote: It was a bigger game for them than us as a lower division team. Spurs almost lost to Newport with an almost full strength team and one of the best strikers in the world saved them late on. Liv just lost to a weakened WB at home.

Cup shocks happen all the time so I really don’t feel it’s much to do with lack of effort or wanting to go out of the Cup. They were better on the day. End of
Why was it a bigger game for them? Have our mob won enough to not bother with cups?

We've ****ing bottled 3 games against League One opposition, don't tell me if we really wanted it we wouldn't be in the next round.

Season is finished, manager didn't tell our boys to go for it...****ing embarrassing performance and it's seeped down from the managers negativity about how important the league is over the cup.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

daveo wrote: Cup shocks happen all the time so I really don’t feel it’s much to do with lack of effort or wanting to go out of the Cup. They were better on the day. End of
Wigan were favourites so no shock

Astra Europa cup at home last season they was no way we win try and win that and get in the group stages

Cup shocks have been going on at West Ham forever but now we don't even try
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Strange how the most important target is staying in the. Premier League when six teams below us, including the bottom three , are still in the cup.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I very nearly bought a couple of tickets but gave it a miss in the end. Feel sorry for those that made the effort today, they should be fully refunded by the club. Obviously that ain't gonna happen.
Would the result have been different if Arthur hadn't gobbed ? Probably not.
Would the result have been different if their ridiculous penalty not been given?
Probably not.
We got what we deserved, f*** all.
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

DDHammer wrote: It was a bigger game for them than us as a lower division team. Spurs almost lost to Newport with an almost full strength team and one of the best strikers in the world saved them late on. Liv just lost to a weakened WB at home.

Why was it a bigger game for them? Have our mob won enough to not bother with cups?

We've ****ing bottled 3 games against League One opposition, don't tell me if we really wanted it we wouldn't be in the next round.

Season is finished, manager didn't tell our boys to go for it...****ing embarrassing performance and it's seeped down from the managers negativity about how important the league is over the cup.
They had their biggest crowd of the season, the town and fans were up for it as were the players. Newport v Spurs was a bigger game for Newport. Notts Co v Swansea was a bigger game for Notts Co. As was Shrewsbury against us.

The Cup,is an opportunity for lesser players to excel on a bigger stage, always has been always will
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

DDHammer wrote:

Yep and it doesn't have to be this way either, as the previous manager proved (he's not the only one but a dying breed in todays game) by at least trying and beating lower level opposition domestically, only to go out to the best teams around. Nothing excuses the lack of will to win in the previous 3 Cup games. Even against Accrington Stanley in Bilics less convincing win of the lot he was still trying to win late on after going down to 10 men due to injury in the last 10 minutes. It's that type of mentality I want to see from a manager no matter how bad we are playing at the time. And he eventually got knocked out innthe quarters whilst in a relegation scrap which he eventually finished the season well away from in the end.

Bad performances will always happen but a lot of the time it's the way you lose (or win playing badly) wanting to win that counts. I never thought in any of the last 4 Cup games did I think West Ham truly wanted to win the ties. And I had the same level of distaste for Allardyce in the Cups for his approach a lot of the time.
Last edited by Colours never run on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.