West Ham Utd 1-1 Crystal Palace (30/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by Aceface »

wasserburg_hammer wrote: Thought the ref blew for us tonight.
You're not the only one who thought we got a fair wind last night - made an unfamiliar but welcome change.

Byram got away with a definite yellow early on when he clattered Zaha near goal. Of course – given he collects them like Carroll collects hospital admission lanyards – he still managed to notch one later on anyway, but that showed precisely why small decisions like that were consequential for us.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

wasserburg_hammer wrote:Having listened to Woy I've got to say the man's got class. Same goes for his pre-match talk.

Irony at it's best, his name is Roy
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Credit to that team. To a man they put a shift in. Credit to Moyes too for wringing that performance out of them. You can say it was Palace at Home and we drew but that entirely misses the context. Did anyone on seeing our line up have any hope? I for one didn’t.

I’ve been a critic of Kouyate but what a performance last night. He epitomised the team’s spirit and bravery and that’s not a sentence I thought I’d write about him. It’s almost unfair to pick players out but he deserves a specific mention. As does Noble and as does the new lad. Mario is quality. Comfortable on the ball, buzzy, capable I suspect of bringing the best out of others. That was some league debut last night.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Without context that is a poor result but given the injuries its a decent result and keeps the unbeaten run rolling on. As I said yesterday in the "Are we going down?" thread, we won't go down under Moyes but it definitely will not be pretty.
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

I thought we would get turned over last night so it is a decent point given all of our injuries and keeps the recent unbeaten run in the Premier League going.

Noble was excellent last night and very decent performances from Kouyate and Zabs also. The new boy got involved and certainly showed signs of being a promising addition. We badly need the owners to get in a couple of decent additions today otherwise they better put their ear plugs in on Saturday!

Fair play to Moyes given how short of players he is that he left Antonio out of the squad due to him missing the team meeting.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

old fart wrote:Irony at it's best, his name is Roy
Ah, okay. Must be a different bloke then :clap:
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Gritty performance in a difficult situation. I thought everyone was at least a 6/10 but Noble, Kouyate and Zab were excellent. Everyone gave 100% effort and that's always going to be my main ask.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

arlhe wrote:Gritty performance in a difficult situation. I thought everyone was at least a 6/10 but Noble, Kouyate and Zab were excellent. Everyone gave 100% effort and that's always going to be my main ask.
Agree totally, actually left the athletics bowl content last night, was proud of the shift they all put in, and for many, that's all we ask. Credit to Moyes as well, on Antonio, also, getting the players playing for the shirt.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Good to see us come back from a goal down again.

Given the squad available I really couldn't see us getting anything, and after the way we got pulled apart for the first goal it looked like it was only going to get worse. But the team dug deep kept it going, earned a penalty that, let's face it we aren't normally given. Not that it wasn't a pen, it was blatantly, we just normally don't get them. Nobes showed no fear or nerves and stuck it away.

If Hernandez had gone anywhere but where he did with his header early in the second half we could have won but we didn't really create much after that and contained them we'll.

Mario looked like he is going to fit right in which is a relief.

Not a great night for the club but certainly as good as we could have hoped for in the circumstances.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Aceface wrote:
You're not the only one who thought we got a fair wind last night - made an unfamiliar but welcome change.

Byram got away with a definite yellow early on when he clattered Zaha near goal. Of course – given he collects them like Carroll collects hospital admission lanyards – he still managed to notch one later on anyway, but that showed precisely why small decisions like that were consequential for us.
I thought this to be honest, and when Townsend went down in the first half i thought he was taking the piss. But on second viewing it was a clear dive and a great piece of refereeing.

However Byram did his usual and got the booking he was after. He was lucky not to get booked for the Zaha foul but rather than count his blessings he tugs back a player dribbling from near enough their own corner flag. I do like Byram but someone needs a word in his ear about these petulant fouls, there is breaking up play and then there's just pure stupidity. He receives far too many bookings, and its not taking one for the team they are just usually pointless fouls.
Al Fisti
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

better game, than i have expected - good point :thup:
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:Credit to that team. To a man they put a shift in. Credit to Moyes too for wringing that performance out of them. You can say it was Palace at Home and we drew but that entirely misses the context. Did anyone on seeing our line up have any hope? I for one didn’t.

I’ve been a critic of Kouyate but what a performance last night. He epitomised the team’s spirit and bravery and that’s not a sentence I thought I’d write about him. It’s almost unfair to pick players out but he deserves a specific mention. As does Noble and as does the new lad. Mario is quality. Comfortable on the ball, buzzy, capable I suspect of bringing the best out of others. That was some league debut last night.
This.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Very decent shift from everyone last night. Eleven players, many of them who were carrying knocks or have not had a lot of game time, all played pretty much the full 90 in what looked to be a pretty physical game.

Noble was outstanding. Looked to be the best player on the park (no idea who picked Kouyate as MOM) by some way. Composed on the ball, committed, passionate and determined off of it. That was a performance that said, 'if you are going to bring in players like Mario, you ain't dropping me'.

Mario himself looked great too. He must be a little rusty still and he had very little in front of him last night so I can't wait to see him up to speed and in the same side as Arnautovic and Lanzini. Looked great carrying the ball, picks a pass well and also sticks his foot in. The physicality of the PL clearly took him by surprise a few times, but he looks like he can mix it.

Kouyate put in a huge shift and fair play to him for that. Still went wandering a bit in the last half an hour of the game but I think that was tired legs and a tired mind.

Zabaleta was superb in that deep lying role. Very composed on the ball and made some outstanding yet easily forgotten last ditch tackles as we were scurrying back. No coincidence that Noble had a worldy with the extra confidence of Zabaleta sitting behind him.

Cresswell looked OK, but I actually prefer him in the back three as opposed to wing back. Obviously going to need him there for five games at least though.

Byram has a lot to do for me. Still far too keen, jumps in to easy and gets caught out of position. Yes he looked good going forward but a better side would have singled him out and really made him pay.

Back three were solid. Collins is everything you need in a CB for games like that and I can't imagine any reason why we would consider getting shot of him for just 2m. Ogbonna is playing some of the most composed and assured football that he has played since joining. Moyes clearly rates him and has made him an ever-present which looks to be really paying off.

Hernandez... 50/50... Felt sorry for the lad because playing up top on your own against three massive units who are just looking to rattle you at any chance is not fun and is not his game at all. That said, he could/should have dropped deeper to receive to feet, worked harder to shut defenders down and force errors, ran the channels so that Noble and Mario had an outlet... as I say... 50/50...and that might be a little kind.

Strange air of nothingness last night, more so than usual. Crowd eventually got behind the team in the second half but it was all a bit non-eventful.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

[quote="The Gibbins"

However Byram did his usual and got the booking he was after. He was lucky not to get booked for the Zaha foul but rather than count his blessings he tugs back a player dribbling from near enough their own corner flag. I do like Byram but someone needs a word in his ear about these petulant fouls, there is breaking up play and then there's just pure stupidity. He receives far too many bookings, and its not taking one for the team they are just usually pointless fouls.[/quote]
He gets booked because he constantly gets caught the wrong side of his man.
Having said that last night was his best game for us by far.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

wasserburg_hammer wrote: You are a Liverpool fan and I get my fiver :clap:
Too intellectual for me.

I'm just enjoying 'the next level'
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

thought we would lose that one so im quite happy with the point

the highlight of my night was when their player went down again after limping off and in amongst the shouts of ' shoot him ' ' stamp on him ' ' glass him ' 'spit on him' a lone voice shouted out ' ' referee he didn't even request to re-enter the field of play '

you might have had to have been there for that one
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Tat Hernandez who needs service and will score, has anyone seen him anywhere?

The one plying last night had a header six yards out and put it straight at the keeper. Think it was the same bloke who hit the bar against Huddersfield and Arsenal when he should have buried it.

Also seem to recall he was nowhere near the goal when Carroll scored the winner at the back post against West Brom, after the ball rolled across the goalmouth.

He's a myth I think.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Billydinho wrote:Tat Hernandez who needs service and will score, has anyone seen him anywhere?

The one plying last night had a header six yards out and put it straight at the keeper. Think it was the same bloke who hit the bar against Huddersfield and Arsenal when he should have buried it.

Also seem to recall he was nowhere near the goal when Carroll scored the winner at the back post against West Brom, after the ball rolled across the goalmouth.

He's a myth I think.
And not even close to the ball whipped in from a free kick in the 2nd half that Collins came close to getting a touch on... only needed the slightest touch from a 'fox in the box' style player to be a goal.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

The geezer has averaged 1 goal in 2 league games in the last 2 and half seasons (including a shaky start at us) and has scored over 40 Premier League goals, all from inside the box and you're piping up with 3 examples of chances missed?

Course he isn't a ****ing myth. Jesus wept.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Just watched their goal again and can't fault young Declan at all. Instead it came gift wrapped in an Italian flag with Oggy prancing around in no man's land, leaving Ginger Pele to deal with an impossible situation.