Chelsea 1-1 West Ham Utd (08/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Re: Chelsea v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by e17 »

Colours never run wrote:It's of no coincidence we looked good as a side the second Hernandez was brought on to play up top with Arnautovic and we instantly looked a different side that threatened. Before then we were absolutely nothing and onky holding on for dear life which we were just about managing by luck and design.

Just ****ing keep playing them up top together and it will take care of itself eventually.
Bet Moyes wont though
ayriron
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ayriron »

You obviously haven't seen much of Jenas's "analysis".[/quote]

i meant it was that stupid i could;nt believe it but you're right he usuallly talks ****
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

ayriron wrote:
i meant it was that stupid i could;nt believe it but you're right he usuallly talks ****
Constant font of böllöcks.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

pharaoh wrote:On the penalty incident. ..jenas "a penalty but ref got it right "

He's so ****ing dense it's almost unfair to poke fun of him. He's definitely got the Tottenhams about him. :P
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I think the problem Moyes has with playing Hernandez is we don't have enough of the type of players needed to play to his strengths - He needs to get the ball arriving at his feet while most of our attacking play relies on putting crosses into the box , it's what Cresswell , Zabaleta , Masuaku and lately Mario do , Hernandez would be better off playing for Chelsea or Arsenal where most passes go to feet in the opposition box - Unless Hernandez is played as part of an attacking 2 or we sign more ball playing footballers I don't think Moyes will ever start him .
He can score with his head and if we put the ball in the box there's every chance it could ping about and fall for him, where he doesn't excel is playing on the halfway line, holding the ball up.
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

Since when has being 'dense' been a disqualification for being a MOTD pundit ? Jenas is very personable as per Lineker, Des Lynam etc. In ten years time we will be saying we were there when he said referee's were right when they were wrong.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

That is a terrific away point. Well done !
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Not having ago at Hernandez but even when he was at Man U he seemed to be something of a super-sub. He's a great finisher, but when he starts he doesn't seem to play with the same intensity. Unusually Moyes used his substitutions really well today, taking of the very poor (unlike last week) Fernandes and bringing on another striker. It's a classic Italian tactic, contain for an hour to try and frustrate the opposition, then switch to a more attacking formation to strike back. Good point and the first time I've seen Hart save the game for us EVER!
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Point duly nicked. Well done West Ham!

Hart had one of his best two games for us. Rice and Ogbonna are phenomenal together. Noble had a good game. Arnie was our Motm (imo).

I missed the Southampton game but I really do not see Fernandez being good enough; Lanzini or Chico to start for the Stoke game.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

arlhe wrote:Point duly nicked. Well done West Ham!

Hart had one of his best two games for us. Rice and Ogbonna are phenomenal together. Noble had a good game. Arnie was our Motm (imo).

I missed the Southampton game but I really do not see Fernandez being good enough; Lanzini or Chico to start for the Stoke game.
As bad as he was today Fernandes was very good against Southampton. That's football I suppose
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

goa127 wrote:Not having ago at Hernandez but even when he was at Man U he seemed to be something of a super-sub.

Seen this type of comment a few times this season so you ain't the only one. But there's a world of difference between being Man Utds so called super sub when he's competing with the likes of Berbatov and Rooney bang in their prime amongst others and then warming the subs bench of WHU these days. That's not to say he should start every game but my god he should be starting the lion share of them. And I wouldn't blame him one but for wanting out because of it.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Hmm, thoughts having watched only the highlights.
First half, our defence were too many times, all at sea.
Although we got away with their two offside goals, that is really living far too close to the edge, for comfort.
Hart miraculously, did indeed play like England's number 1.
Arthur played an awful back pass into their attack, at one point. Played well the rest of it though.
Arnie is still playing like our most expensive player, should be.
Blimey, that penalty shout. I thought that Kante, the little b*s*ard, had made a great tackle. On slow reply, he didn't actually touch the ball, but I can see why the ref didn't give it, sadly. Only var could have given that. Possibly.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 768 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slav's post match thoughts for anyone interested.

nice to hear he was cheering our goal like he was still the gaffer.
spod
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by spod »

Great point, and great finish by Hernandez, but it annoys the hell out of me that he comes on as a sub and just walks and jogs around. The rest of the team must be knackered from chasing Chelsea all game. Moyes needs to get through to Hernandez the same way he did with Arnautovic.
You won't make it here if you don't put in the hard yards.
Colours never run

All he does is score...

It's simply not true in any case that its all he does, as he does do his bit for the team as highlighted in the above link as an example which led to the goal after initially holding the ball up keeping possession. He works well in the final third contrary to popular belief he does nothing at all.

I also loved his arms stretched out celebration too as if to say, that's what I'm about if only I'm allowed to play.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 100 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Massive point. Felt if we had a bit more belief we could have beat them to be honest.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 389 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by chappo59 »

spod wrote:Great point, and great finish by Hernandez, but it annoys the hell out of me that he comes on as a sub and just walks and jogs around. The rest of the team must be knackered from chasing Chelsea all game. Moyes needs to get through to Hernandez the same way he did with Arnautovic.
You won't make it here if you don't put in the hard yards.
Good post totally agree,he's a great finisher but is not at all interested when the ball's not at his feet.
I don't like the way he's always the victim either.
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

I’ll take the point but I think we had the momentum going in the second half, it definitely looked a penalty on Arnautovic from where I was standing but seen other comments that Kante might of got a foot on it. There was no way the ref was going to give it though, but if it’d of been their player though that got challenged in the box, well you know the rest.....

Thought the first half was pretty non-eventful. Very poor goal to concede, we just seemed to be stood like statues and watched the ball go in, Hart was obviously caught flat footed, but it didn’t look like that from the upper tier. If he did make a mistake he probably made up for it with some good saves later on in the game, probably his best game for us this season.

Thought Noble did well, seemed to want the ball a lot and his distribution seemed better. Chelsea looked bang average really, I said to the bloke next to me “take the game to these lot and we’ll come away with something”, thankfully we did in the second half.

Good darts from our lot regarding the Ray Wilkins stuff pre-match and pleasing to hear the Chelsea fans having a good winge-up on the train home. :thup:
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

hart had his best game for us
rice needs a new contract fast
ogbonna superb

arnie was pleased when he had someone uo front and we looked a real threat.

Hernandez scored a good goal but needs to move around more.

not Fernandez day but he is young and one for the future.

Hernandez and arnie to start against stoke a game we have to win.

well played the fans loud and proud as always. watched on TV and the Chelsea lot seemed quiet most of the time.

COYI
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Up until we scored, I was thinking, "I know they are better, but why are they also fitter, faster and stronger".

Then we scored, and for short bursts, we appeared fitter, faster and stronger! Perceptions eh?

Thought Moyes managed that quite well overall, and obviously settled for the point by moving Arnie into the midfield to close it down.
I felt it was an opportunity lost because Hernandez has no upfront pace in reality (especiallly for a bloke his age). But it was the right thing to do at the end of the day.

I hope Declan Rice will one day be our captain and go on to have a lengthy career for us. I also hope he is now firmly established in the side in the managers eyes too.

:crest: