Chelsea 1-1 West Ham Utd (08/04/18)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11

Re: Chelsea v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by hammerman11 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:59 am

rice is our future and will get games now as we have so many injuries.

reid is unreliable and misses half a season at a time
Collins too old to start now
ogbonna our number one CB
burke untried on loan
oxford untried on loan

so we do need to sign a CB in the summer. someone young mid 20 mawson from Swansea maybe
evans is 30 so a no from me as we should try and plan for the future

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:01 am

Excellent point and well deserved. Chelsea had the upper hand in the game but I don't think there was ever a foot on throat point of the game for them and once it was 1-1 it was ours to take all three points.

Hart had an outstanding game and was my MOTM but notable mentions for Noble, Ogbonna & Rice too, as well as the ever great Arnautavic. It's bizarre, it's like the man breathes claret & blue now and long may it continue.

I watched on the tele and screamed at it when Kante (from memory) steamed into Arnie thinking it was a pen. Turns out it was a fantastic challenge.

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:12 am

I'm gonna feel dirty for saying it, but I do quite like Willian. He seemed genuinely concerned about Cresswell's injury, even though it was a total accident.

Coops

Post by Coops » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:17 am

hammerman11 wrote: so we do need to sign a CB in the summer. someone young mid 20 mawson from Swansea maybe
evans is 30 so a no from me as we should try and plan for the future
What we will get is someone old, late 30s, once played in a champions league final, free transfer, only has one leg.

debaser_74

Post by debaser_74 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:22 am

I had to walk about 2 miles to find a restaurant/cafe showing the game as the hotel I'm in only had German and Turkish football.. it was worth the walk. Another point closer to safety and so nice taking 4 points off that lot this season. Another Arnie masterclass against Stoke next week will see us safe :crest:

Danny's Dyer Acting

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:31 am

Coops wrote:What we will get is someone old, late 30s, once played in a champions league final, free transfer, only has one leg.
We'll get Jonny Evans and David Gold will excitedly post about how we're uniting Declan Rice with his mentor from the Irish national team.

Al Fisti

Post by Al Fisti » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:32 am

In fairness you have to say we have deserved nothing till the middle of second half. Our midfield was very poor and Arni isolated. The only positive has been Hart and a solid defending till we equalized. But then we improved enormously and made a lot of pressure on the defense of Chelsea.

At the end the point was absolutely deserved and with more luck we even could win this game.

jacko

Post by jacko » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:05 am

I was out yesterday so was following the game on the BBC website. Danny Mills was slating us. I found what he was saying a little bizarre. I know Chelsea have had a poor season but they have spent a lot of money. If you're 1-0 down after an hour against the champions you're always in with a shout.

I even looked at the stats after 69 minutes and was surprised they had only had 2 shots on target - from reading his comments you'd think we were 5-0 down. Anyway, great point. could be very useful. If we beat Stoke then that should be safety assured. If not...we are right in the mix still.

Coops

Post by Coops » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:38 am

Hart was brilliant yesterday, I have not been his biggest fan but fair play to him, he earned us the point as much as anybody yesterday. Hopefully he will stay in form to fight for his England place.

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 am

Morata missed several good chances with headers or they were saved from Joe Hart , they seemed intent on tippy tappy acute passing and really had no cutting edge , in my opinion we should have won it but happy with a point.

faubert93

Post by faubert93 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 am

We'd have all taken a point before kick-off given our current position in the league. Especially given the game in hand we have on several of those down the bottom.

Personally, I think Moyes played this well, although some of you disagree. He played the right team against a very attacking chelsea side. He made the right substitutions at the right time, getting us a point in the process. We have to remember that this isn't his team, it's bilic old one. And he is getting more out of these lot that bilic did.

One thing for me is that I don't rate Mario as much as others do, and thought that he should have made way for Hernandes and not the younger and more hungry Fernandes. Mario does have a good touch and at times very good passer, however he ran in to trouble and lost the ball several times yesterday. He also, being on loan, has no real fight in him it appears - slow to close down, walked on several occasions as Chelsea stormed forward, waving legs in tackles etc. He played average, but certainly doesn't seem to be worth the money we would have to pay to keep him. Spend the money elsewhere (CDM)

Overall the team played the type of game i'd expect a team to play to get a point away to Chelsea. Rice extremely good and Hart MOTM. Falling asleep at a corner is inexcusable though however.

HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 am

I can't see any outcome that results in us signing Mario permanently.

I don't think he or Fernandes played particularly well yesterday. To come away with a point in our current position is huge. A full-strength West Ham would have neither of them on pitch. I think Fernandes makes way for Antonio, and Lanzini comes in for Mario.

Seen a few comments saying Noble played well, and perhaps he did in the last 10/15 minutes but the amount of times players skipped past him during the game was criminal for a "holding midfielder".

As I said earlier in the thread, Arnautovic, Rice, Hart, Ogbonna all played really well, and Hernandez should take a hell of a lot of credit.

I do think given how poorly I thought a few of our boys played, it makes the point even more impressive.

Patito

Post by Patito » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:56 am

faubert93 wrote: One thing for me is that I don't rate Mario as much as others do, and thought that he should have made way for Hernandes and not the younger and more hungry Fernandes. Mario does have a good touch and at times very good passer, however he ran in to trouble and lost the ball several times yesterday. He also, being on loan, has no real fight in him it appears - slow to close down, walked on several occasions as Chelsea stormed forward, waving legs in tackles etc.

Obviously we all see the games differently but Mario is a classy little player for me, I thought Fernandes was poor yesterday (after a fantastic performance against Southampton) and deserved to be swapped for Hernandez.

steps

Post by steps » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:57 am

Fernandes was at sea playing centre mid.

So many misplaced passes and was getting overrun and losing possesion far too often.

I like him a lot but it clearly didn’t work for him in this position. Moyes made the right call by putting on a striker because Arnautovic was isolated for all of the first half and 10/15 of the second.

faubert93

Post by faubert93 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:07 am

Patito wrote:Obviously we all see the games differently but Mario is a classy little player for me, I thought Fernandes was poor yesterday (after a fantastic performance against Southampton) and deserved to be swapped for Hernandez.

I agree with you that Mario has class, but I feel that isn't suited to our team philosophy, because he lacks in the other areas we require: hard worker, put a shift in. He is a perfect player for a game like the southampton one, but not for the one like yesterday.

Although, if we had a younger, fresher and better CDM behind him then my thoughts on Mario would be different probably!

Anyway, Fernandes or Mario, it was always going to be one or the other. I'm just glad he brought on Hernandez!

Ladzini

Post by Ladzini » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:14 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:I'm gonna feel dirty for saying it, but I do quite like Willian. He seemed genuinely concerned about Cresswell's injury, even though it was a total accident.
I agree mate, probably the most likeable Chelsea player. :oops: .

Doesn't always get the credit he deserves, and is far more hard-working than Hazard. Very tidy player.

Ladzini

Post by Ladzini » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:15 am

faubert93 wrote:

I agree with you that Mario has class, but I feel that isn't suited to our team philosophy, because he lacks in the other areas we require: hard worker, put a shift in. He is a perfect player for a game like the southampton one, but not for the one like yesterday.

Although, if we had a younger, fresher and better CDM behind him then my thoughts on Mario would be different probably!

Anyway, Fernandes or Mario, it was always going to be one or the other. I'm just glad he brought on Hernandez!

Our ideal midfield for me would be Mario, Lanzini and a defensive midfielder who never leaves our half; does all the dirty work which frees Lanzini up and leaves Mario to be the box to box.

Harry Hound

Post by Harry Hound » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 am

Denzil wrote:
I watched on the tele and screamed at it when Kante (from memory) steamed into Arnie thinking it was a pen. Turns out it was a fantastic challenge.
It was a penalty

Upton Carp

Post by Upton Carp » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:36 am

Can anyone post a link to the highlights, please

bigst

Post by bigst » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:46 am

Upton Carp wrote:Can anyone post a link to the highlights, please
http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018 ... ham-united" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;