Arsenal 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Tristan Shout »

Arsenal are beatable, we'll roll over and have our tummies tickled as usual though
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Tristan Shout wrote:Arsenal are beatable, we'll roll over and have our tummies tickled as usual though
Nailed on. Any other club in our position would go there and have a go. But we all know what's going to happen.
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

I expect an all out on the front foot in their faces start to the game

I think our ball retention will be excellent after Moyes decides short but intelligent yet simple passes is the way forward
I fully expect Edimilson Fernandes to play a Graham Paddon/ Liam Brady / Dimitri Payet-esque performance of brilliant probing midfield play

I should mention that for 50 years I have supported Derbyshire at County Cricket .. I did my nuts with Ladbroke on Phil Taylor winning the Worlds and Last Saturday backed an English trained horse in the Grand National who didn’t trouble the first 6 home ( all Irish)

In short I know the square root of fack all about sport
Goldie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Goldie »

All of sudden this fixture holds a tad more interest for me . Offered corporate hospitality today, gratefully accepted, so happy days . COYI
kevino
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by kevino »

Don't know if anyone saw the programme on Sky last night featuring Stuart (do you understand what I mean) Pearce and Ian Wright but Wright said that he had already told 'Pearcie' that the way to beat Arsenal was to sit tight and then hit them quickly on the break as their defence was susceptible. So we all know what team Moyes will put out as a result. There again, we don't have anyone quick.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

kevino wrote:Don't know if anyone saw the programme on Sky last night featuring Stuart (do you understand what I mean) Pearce and Ian Wright but Wright said that he had already told 'Pearcie' that the way to beat Arsenal was to sit tight and then hit them quickly on the break as their defence was susceptible. So we all know what team Moyes will put out as a result. There again, we don't have anyone quick.
But we do have someone always 'on the break'.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

We had a 'mare against these lot, last season, as we did generally against the 'better' teams.

But the season before, of course, we won away (0-2), with a solid defensive display, and then had that 6 goal thriller at home, with Big Andy the star of the show. He battered them; genuinely unplayable that day.

This present team, at the fag-end of Wenger era is arguably as poor defensively as we are.

I honestly believe that, if he's fit, this kind of game gets Carroll revved up and raring to go. If he can start, play Arnautovic behind him; have Cresswell crossing from the left and, if Oxford could contain Ozil, why can't Declan?

Noble and Lanzini love the derbies.

We probably won't, but we CAN do this.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

kevino wrote:Wright said that he had already told 'Pearcie' that the way to beat Arsenal was to sit tight and then hit them quickly on the break as their defence was susceptible. So we all know what team Moyes will put out as a result. There again, we don't have anyone quick.
that's the opposite way to beat them really.

sit tight and they'll knock it about a bit and get their confidence up. that's why they're so much better at home where teams feel like the have to sit in, and so **** away where teams take the game to them.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
We will do the complete opposite to putting pressure on them. We will sit back and try and nick a goal and Arsenal reserves will stroll to a 2-0 victory

Hernandez will get five minutes at the end

Moyes will say that we kept it tight and were unlucky and that anything against Arsenal would have been a bonus anyway

We have played Arsenal twice this season and not had a shot on target and only had about five touches in their box. I can't see that changing much
Yep 100%. Just like the cup game, we will be abysmal and not even try to score.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

claretandblue82 wrote:Looking forward to the cheese boards!

Cheese Board Out!
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

Wenger is saying that he wont be resting players ahead of Athletico game. I was hoping that he would pick the under 10's and we might able to nick a point.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

FAH_1973 wrote:Wenger is saying that he wont be resting players ahead of Athletico game. I was hoping that he would pick the under 10's and we might able to nick a point.
I think you can take that with a pinch of salt. One reason he'd be crazy not to rest some players is the subconcious desire from some regulars will be for the european game. He'll probably get more out of squad players who want to earn a starting place than those who know they'll be playing. Unfortunately Abumayang will play because he can't play in europe. I think we should play exactly the same as we played at Chelsea, although we have a few more options now. I don't think either Carroll or Lanzini ar fully fit yet, so both will be on the bench. The problem is fernandes, which one will turn up? The dynamic midfielder who popped up everywhere when coming on to replace Antonio, or the aimless wanderer we saw the very next game?
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

chigwells finest wrote:ive got lunch at the ground with an arsenal mate of mine , be interesting to see what he gets for his 10k for 2 seats can see it being 1-1
I'm hesitating before asking this, but that isn't £10k a season, is it?[/quote]

He pays £ 10000 for 2 season tickets a year
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Wow.

To me, that's an insane amount of money, even though I suspect that it includes

(a) games in Europe, as part of the ticket, and
(b) booze and grub etc, in the stadium.

It appears nonetheless to work out at £200 a game...
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

For those who wanted Moyes to stay...we’ll find out more about him on Sunday. Not that we havent already but we should be winning this, all day long.
EastEndIRON
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

hammers92 wrote:For those who wanted Moyes to stay...we’ll find out more about him on Sunday. Not that we havent already but we should be winning this, all day long.
:lol:
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Laugh all you want. Arsenal will field a 2nd side, their fans aren’t turning up, we should treat this like a home game. Let’s see if he’s got a pair.
EastEndIRON
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

hammers92 wrote:Laugh all you want. Arsenal will field a 2nd side, their fans aren’t turning up, we should treat this like a home game. Let’s see if he’s got a pair.
In fairness mate I do actually agree with you

However, this is typical of the sort of game we will turn up and just roll over. I hope I’m wrong but we have a soft underbelly and will give Arsenal too much respect (as usual).

Just hoping we give it a go
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I can see us sneaking a win here what with Arsenal playing in a half empty stadium these days.

1-2
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Colours never run wrote:I can see us sneaking a win here what with Arsenal playing in a half empty stadium these days.

1-2
Do you know why they are playing in a half empty stadium ?