CCR2: Wimbledon 1-3 West Ham Utd (28/08/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Re: AFC Wimbledon v West Ham Utd: match thread (28/8)

Post by Up the Junction »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Sky had a former West Ham player (Scott Minto) and a West Ham fan (Liam Rosenior) as their presenting team.
Didn't hear it all Crouchy but I'm sure I heard them both criticising the sending off?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Yeah they all agreed there was sod all contact.
Patito

Post by Patito »

thejackhammer wrote:
They’re certainly a sour bunch.
Yep. Very poor from them.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

"West Ham - I hope you are proud of yourselves, struggling to beat a team two divisions below yourselves, and you resort to cheating? You are a disgrace, I used to have respect for you, I have none now, haranguing a referee to produce a second yellow for a non foul? Pathetic, that is the only reason you won. I hope you go down, cheating scum"

Over react much mate?? :lol: :lol:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Clacton-ammer wrote:The oppo view is a little harsh!
I wonder if there's a forum anywhere in the land that hasn't told us *enjoy life in the Championship, dickheads* after playing us?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: AFC Wimbledon
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132812
in Conan the Barbarian's words, "to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

:scarfer:
Last edited by warp on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

the point about Hernandez going down is that he doesn't get the free kick if he stays on his feet, and the little tug stops him going through. The ref gave very little else including the fella up front leading with an elbow into obiang's face. Yellow every time if Caroll does that. Not even a foul!
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

As far as I recall, during the actual game the commentators said multiple times that both yellow cards were deserved and the ref got it spot on.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Hammer1972 wrote:As far as I recall, during the actual game the commentators said multiple times that both yellow cards were deserved and the ref got it spot on.

Yep, heard them say it more than once as well.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Hammer1972 wrote:As far as I recall, during the actual game the commentators said multiple times that both yellow cards were deserved and the ref got it spot on.
Yes, didn't seem to be any "controversy" during the game from commentators, only after. don't condone diving but he certainly seemed to be pulled back, whether or not he went down easily.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

You have to laugh at their comments don't you ... sour grapes or what ...

They got away with another one that should have been a straight red, the elbow in the face to Diop. They also seem to have forgotten that after the first 10 mins when they just 'did a Wimbledon' and chucked it into the box, we settled and even with 11 on the pitch we were the dominant side. One could argue we probably would have created even more opportunities and more clear cut ones had they not had the man sent off.

Still blame the sending off as to why you lost ...
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

Up the Junction wrote: Didn't hear it all Crouchy but I'm sure I heard them both criticising the sending off?
They just kind of agreed with the manager didn't they not sure i really heard them give an opinion on it, both commentators said it was a red, to be honest i thought the second yellow was soft, to be honest i found it all a bit odd how they asked him to break down each goal they conceded
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

should have been a straight red for the foul on Snodders alone..

elbow to the face wasn't even called a foul..

didn't think the ref was awful to be fair, but those two calls he got completely wrong....it was a pull back and Chicharito was on the full run, the defender was beat all ends up.

Rice kept the ball moving, that's what keeps the other team moving side to side and up and down - and keeping them moving eventually tires them out...

that's the idea of it...they never mounted anything in the way of a concerted attack other than whack it forward, and/or launch it into the stands over the half way line and push up the field...not blaming them at all, that's all that they could offer...3 leagues difference for once actually looked like that...
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote:[
.... i thought the second yellow was soft, to be honest i found it all a bit odd how they asked him to break down each goal they conceded
Thing is Hernandez was through on goal, so technically could have been a straight red, also possibly the first could have been a red for going straight through the player. Over the years we've had our share of reds, whether justified or not and last night went our way for a change. I don't think their manager bleating about it helps. They were outplayed apart from the first 5 minutes and by the time the player was sent off we were the attacking team. Maybe it's not a good time to ask managers their opinion straight after an emotional battle, but I suppose it makes for good TV.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Didn't hear it all Crouchy but I'm sure I heard them both criticising the sending off?
to be fair, i thought it was a little soft and given both Minto and Rosenior were defenders it doesn't surprise me they held that view, especially as they were interviewing Ardley at the time
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Up the Junction wrote:Didn't hear it all Crouchy but I'm sure I heard them both criticising the sending off?
I'm sure that Liam Rosenior said at HT that both yellows were clear bookings and that there could be little complaint from Wimbledon, only to contradict himself after FT after their manager moaned that Hernandez went down easy and "bought" the red (which he did tbf).

Sky did seem to want the upset though - why else show West Ham in the cup against lower league opposition?
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

I except it was against a ten man third tier team, but I enjoyed the match, and thought we played quite well.

I'm still quietly optimistic with regards to most of our signings and how the season will go.

We really need to beat Wolves though....... :scarfer:
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

sendô wrote:
Sky did seem to want the upset though - why else show West Ham in the cup against lower league opposition?
Well that's understandable, if it was another PL V lower league team we would be the same. Also it was a London derby.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

sendô wrote:
I am sure the commercial dept at Sky wanted an upset to give a bit of publicity to the competition, but my point was more that the presentation team were certainly not anti- West Ham
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: I am sure the commercial dept at Sky wanted an upset to give a bit of publicity to the competition, but my point was more that the presentation team were certainly not anti- West Ham
No fair point, Scott Minto was only really anti West Ham when he was playing left back for us.