West Ham Utd 0-1 Wolves (01/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Wolverhampton Wanderers match thread (01/09)

Post by TommyHammer »

I could guarantee that if Pellegrini went to any other club in the premier league and spent the money we have spent he would have been a success.

I know we can’t keep making excuses, but I can’t help but think the ground plays a part in all of this. I know people say ‘it’s up to the fans to generate an atmosphere’ but if everyone hates the ground before they even get to it it’s a bit of an ask to get people to generate an atmosphere.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Shearer ripped into us in MOTD. Hate to say it but he was right. Lazy, disorganised and sloppy.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 521 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Shearer said it all in MOTD we were woeful.
Hard to hear him speak like that about my team, but he was totally correct with all he said.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Yeah he was spot on really wasn’t he.

Arnie’s pressing was highlighted too...
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I thought I watched two poor teams today. Wolves spread the play well but lacked the ability to make it pay and we had too many players who were off key. Sympathy for sanchez because I thought he had a good game until he decided to dawdle on the ball. Apart from not getting the point it was frustrating to lose at the death because I thought defensively Diop and the General were excellent. Wilshere? waste of space, we'd have been much better to keep Mario. Still Goals conceded 4.2, 3, now only1! getting better :)
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Listened to all those saying 'good signs' when we played Arsenal and thought not, and today proved it, a bunch of reject players more interested in money than football ... that today was pathetic, let's not kid ourselves Wolves are a poor side and we lost ...
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

very, very dull game. Doesn’t excuse our lack of application though the amount of times we received the ball with space to play into and instead either turned and passed back or just gave them the ball back, not to mention the amount of times one player did work it forward the rest were just chilling on the half way line when the cross came in. nobody wanted to go forward too scared to loose maybe I don’t know but it was bloody frustrating Sanchez summed it up in the second half on the ball looks around and ends up passing it back while raising his arms looking towards Pellegrini.

I won’t be wasting my hard earned to see that shower of **** again In a hurry, if they can’t be arsed the money they are on then I can’t be arsed to waste mine to see them.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Wolves: match thread (01/09)

Post by costa75 »

The quiet optimism that I felt before the season started is slowly starting to evaporate and is being replaced by that oh so familiar feeling of West Ham being even worse this year than last.

I'm not pushing the panic button yet, but they were woeful today.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

I just do not get or accept all this stuff about it being the fault of the ground, there was no problem when we played well against Palace second half and AC scored that goal, when we beat Spurs or Chelsea twice, the first half versus Saints last year.

It is not the ground that makes the players all the things Shearer said, which they were today. We played plenty of **** football at UP - the Roeder relegation season springs to mind - was that the fault of the ground?

I still trust in MP because of his record elsewhere however it could soon be one of the worst starts in Premier League/First Division history. He wants to develop a different style fine but at the moment the basics for that style simply are not present. Getting a few results is now far more important than trying to look good doing it.

People have posted Wolves are not a good side - true but they are far more of a team than we are.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Gsbgsb wrote:
People have posted Wolves are not a good side - true but they are far more of a team than we are.
Those are people who just assume that any newly promoted side isn't good. It was one of the best Championship sides ever, and added a lot of very good talent in the window. Both pundits and the betting markets tagged them as a top 10 finisher before the season began. They have multiple players who would make our starting XI.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

don't get style points...only wins and draws..

I know people are gonna call me a modern day fan...but it's a bit of a catch-22...if you want to see good football there HAS to be wins mixed in there, and if that means doing something different so be it..

build some confidence then be expansive..only the top dogs can play gung ho because they usually have the best payers (or thereabouts) in every position AND there back up is pretty damn good too..

Citeh and Liverpool are about the only two that can do that right now, and the Bind Dippers are short some good back up players in key areas (CB's and F's) to really challenge on all fronts......

Spuds were a bit pragmatic last week at ManU even though they have a team that is superior to us in every department...when they got things going their way, they were more expansive..

MP seems to want to be gung ho the whole time without players to be able to do that, and if those players can't, their subs are even worse so it's not like we can change the game around at all......

he needs to go back to some basics if he can......
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Fredericks was woeful today. Feel sorry for Pablo as he is a way better option at RB.

I can't see where any points will come from at this rate. Look like a bunch of heavily medicated escapees
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

IronworksDave wrote:Listened to all those saying 'good signs' when we played Arsenal and thought not, and today proved it, a bunch of reject players more interested in money than football ... that today was pathetic, let's not kid ourselves Wolves are a poor side and we lost ...
The problem is Arsenal is not a good barometer- they are terrible themselves at the moment. Getting rid of Wenger seems like McLaren getting rid of Honda for “holding them back.”

Maybe Arsenal were holding Wenger back!
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:don't get style points...only wins and draws..

I know people are gonna call me a modern day fan...but it's a bit of a catch-22...if you want to see good football there HAS to be wins mixed in there, and if that means doing something different so be it..

build some confidence then be expansive..only the top dogs can play gung ho because they usually have the best payers (or thereabouts) in every position AND there back up is pretty damn good too..

Citeh and Liverpool are about the only two that can do that right now, and the Bind Dippers are short some good back up players in key areas (CB's and F's) to really challenge on all fronts......

Spuds were a bit pragmatic last week at ManU even though they have a team that is superior to us in every department...when they got things going their way, they were more expansive..

MP seems to want to be gung ho the whole time without players to be able to do that, and if those players can't, their subs are even worse so it's not like we can change the game around at all......

he needs to go back to some basics if he can......
All the great teams can adapt - Man U, Leeds, etc. they could play hard and defensive when necessary. Hell even being able to win a game by any means would be a relief at the moment!
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

That was so poor , one of the worst games since we arrived at the toilet bowl.
I cant see any difference to slav/moyes with this bunch of lazy players.

fabianski diop and Balbuena had good games. the rest ranged from poor to awful.

I found it strange that masuaka was not in the squad at least. one player who at least has some speed and can go past players.

cresswell was poor today and is not the same player since the injury.
fredericks was awful, no wonder he was free. get zabaleta back.
Snodgrass was back to his pre villa form. a shame as I was impressed with his application previously. did nothing.
Anderson - is he a winger or central midfielder. has played well at CAM so he moves to the wings and was awful. 40m signing maybe but no one else was after him.
sanchez neat and tdy until the end.
wilshere - did nothing and deservedly subbed. needs a spell on the bench.
antonio - an embarassment. what has happened to him? does not deserve to start a game for a long time
arnie - tried but poor by his recent standards.

so where do we go from here ?
fab, diop and balbuena to start next game for sure the rest who knows. we need to inject some pace and application into the side. why do we look 3 yards slower than any team ?
MP wont play 3 at the back so we need to somehow get our lazy overpaid players working harder.

how embarassing was the anouncement by the matchday announcer " whar a team we have for you today !" yes what a team, ***** !

everton away will be difficult and I expect another defeat. That I can take if we try and have a go. to wander and jog around like yesterday is not acceptable.

fabianski
zabaleta diop balbuena cresswell
sanchez rice noble
anderson arnie masuaka

subs adrian fredericks ogbonna obiang yarmolenko hernandez yarmolenko

lets see some hard work and digging in for a point if we can. sounds like BFS ! who knows if we get to xmas and things have not improved after our "easy" month a return of the rotound one might not be that far fetched.

until then I want to see
1. some passion
2. some determination
3. some energy
4. some pressing
5. some fight
6. some passing
7.some sort of system
8. some points !

say what you like by moyes and the team were awful under him but he came in, no pre season no 100m and got them into a system straightaway. turned arnie around and we at least competed in some of the matches.

MP has to now earn his money. the honeymoon is over and we look F**d !
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Went to work after the game so I’ve had the whole night to stew over the result.

We were pretty awful. It oddly reminded me of this game http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 577823.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, we had dodgy owners, dodgy coaching team and a team that looked like strangers that night too.

Nothing changes with this club.
Soulman58

Post by Soulman58 »

Having slept on it nothing has changed my view from the first week. £100 million mainly badly spent, no solid pacy CM purchased, no left back who can defend. Mainly bought players who stay wide and can't cross and even if they do not a lot there to meet it. If MP doesn't gee them up, or play a back three not sure this group can keep us and and unfortunately the supporters who could win us points in the past are more likely to lose us them.

I know things are bad as I'm wishing AC was fit!!! We may as well be playing Rice/Oxford/Holland and kept the bulk of the £100 million for a team to get us promoted as most of this lot won't be there or would be good enough to do so

Already looking to see which teams are at the top of Div 1 for next year's fixtures!!!!!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The first time in a very long while that the problem has been the attack, not the defence.

The first half we lacked competitive edge in the physical battles and 1:1's all across the front six, and our passing and ball control was poor with the front 4 and Fredericks being especially culpable. For all that, neither side created a great deal just the odd bit here and there. It was a boring game.

Yarmolenko's arrival heralded a substantial improvement in the quality of our play and we seemed to gain the upper hand physically. Obiang also improved us. The game improved also.

Their trump card was Traore who had the effect we expect from Anderson.

Yes, it was an ultra sloppy and daft goal - indivdiual mistakes have cost us in the last three games - but I actually felt that was the best performance I have seen from a 'keeper and a pair of centre halves for us in a very long time and up until the very latter part of the game we kept them to a minimal number of good chances.

The forwards - Yarmolenko excepted, Arnie included - were woeful.

Some of our attacking play was brain dead - poor runs, overly intricate Arsenal type flicks etc. I don't get Anderson on the left; he always seems to run out of space to play and invariably plays a poor flick pass when trying to lay the ball off because he's heavily right footed.

We conceded one. If you keep the opposition down to that, you have to be thinking we should walk off with a point, at least.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

smuts wrote:Shearer ripped into us in MOTD. Hate to say it but he was right. Lazy, disorganised and sloppy.
He nailed it.

My first and last game of the season. It's not just the players that have the enthusiasm zapped from them as they enter that arena. :thdn:
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

bubbles1966 wrote:The first time in a very long while that the problem has been the attack, not the defence.
Agreed with this - passing yesterday was terrible.

We also seem to have built Arnautovic up to being some kind of messiah and he's not, on that evidence, playing for the team as a result because he feels he has to do it himself.