West Ham Utd 0-1 Wolves (01/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Wolverhampton Wanderers match thread (01/09)

Post by wizzo_66 »

mushy wrote: What makes you say this? Was still full of running after 90 minutes yesterday.
It was his first start since January and he was blowing very early.

Vital minutes under his belt and he worked hard, so it should be really beneficial in the long run.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Samba wrote:With no disrespect to Wolves, at home especially, this is a game that we should be winning..
mushy wrote:Which stinks of disrespect to Wolves.
If you had watched their performance against City on Saturday you would surely make Wolves favourites for this game. They have the type of players that may well scare the hell out of our back four.
I agree with Samba.

Wolves have impressed me a lot this season. They play good football and seem completely at ease at Premier League level. They are definitely going to give us a game on Saturday and cannot be underestimated.

However, I still imagine they'll finish somewhere between 11th & 15th this season and by rights I think we should be beating teams of this level at home. If not, who exactly are we backing ourselves against? Just Cardiff & Huddersfield?
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

Fab

Fredericks
Diop
Balbuena
Cresswell - Thank god

Sanchez
Wilshere

Yarmelenko RW
Andersen CAM
Snodgrass LW

Arnie
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Coops »

Alex Mendham Orchestra performing at 2:30 on Saturday to celebrate 10 years of bubbles.
HalfTimePie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by HalfTimePie »

Going by their fan forum, seems a lot of them who can't get tickets in the away end are buying tickets in the home ends nearer to their fans. It's quite an entertaining read, a lot of their lot are telling each other to be safe and practice their best Danny Dyer accents :lol:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

People seem to think that Cresswell is going to come in at LB on Saturday. I can't see it myself
Patito

Post by Patito »

HalfTimePie wrote:Going by their fan forum, seems a lot of them who can't get tickets in the away end are buying tickets in the home ends nearer to their fans. It's quite an entertaining read, a lot of their lot are telling each other to be safe and practice their best Danny Dyer accents :lol:

I remember a while back their end imitating ours and returning a "Sit daan shat up" chant :thup:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

should be a cracking atmosphere as they are a noisy bunch. our fans need to be up for this one at the start. the team needs to start well as well.
we will get chances and we have to improve on taking them as they will get some as well.
fabianski in goal for me.
Al Fisti
Has liked: 115 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

------------------------------Fabianski---------------------

Fredericks--------Diop--------Balbuena-----Masuaku

-------------------Sanchez-------Wishire-----------------

Yarmolenko-------------Snodgrass-----------Anderson

-----------------------------Arnautovic------------------------
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

Samba wrote:With no disrespect to Wolves, at home especially, this is a game that we should be winning..
mushy wrote:Which stinks of disrespect to Wolves.
If you had watched their performance against City on Saturday you would surely make Wolves favourites for this game. They have the type of players that may well scare the hell out of our back four.
James P wrote: I agree with Samba.
Wolves have impressed me a lot this season. They play good football and seem completely at ease at Premier League level. They are definitely going to give us a game on Saturday and cannot be underestimated.
However, I still imagine they'll finish somewhere between 11th & 15th this season and by rights I think we should be beating teams of this level at home. If not, who exactly are we backing ourselves against? Just Cardiff & Huddersfield?
That's exactly what I meant, James.
Come on mushy, I make a point of always respecting the opposition, whoever it is. West Ham can lose to anyone!
They got a very good point against Man City but got lucky with the arm-ball for their goal.
What a save from their goalie from Sterling though. F***ing world class save.
World class beard from their manager as well!
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

I clearly don't understand what 'should be winning ' actually means then.
I am basing my opinions on what I have seen of both teams so far this season.
James is basing his opinion on where he thinks Wolves will end up in the table this season which seems a little irrelevant to me.
It's like current form counts for nothing.
Anyway I get both your points and in normal circumstances I would probably agree with you.
Just saying that Wolves have looked better then us from what I have seen so far.
Though I was very impressed with some of our play yesterday.
funky chicken
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1237 likes

Post by funky chicken »

For me we should be aiming for at least a draw. Just to have something to build from. But we really need to start picking up wins. And I don't care who it's against. We can't keep saying there's always next week as sooner or later there won't be another chance. And we can't keep viewing every game as being tough for an excuse to say a defeat is acceptable. What are we suppose to do, only beat Huddersfield all season!? :P if we want to finish at least mid table then you really need to look to take points in games like this.

From last night's game at Wimbledon and the Arsenal game, I have certainly learned a lot more about the squad and surely Pellers has too.

The only players last night out of the starting 11 for me who took their chance was: Yarmalenko, Rice and Cresswell.

Zabaleta was solid too to be fair. But Fredericks offers far more pace so still starts ahead of him for me.

Obiang was the player I was actually the most disappointed with. Even more so than the strikers. As Perez to be fair has only just had 1 start and I don't rate Hernandez whatsoever, and if I had it my way wouldn't even be at the club anymore. But I was hoping Obiang would show what he could offer with his place in the team under threat. He was in my team for this game from the Wimbledon thread. But after that performance he can stay on the bench where he deserves to be.

The only 2 other things I was contemplating was:

1) After Yarmalenko's promising performance, should he come into the team? And if so who for out of Snodgrass and Antonio?
2) Who should start next to Diop?

I personally think Yarmalenko did show enough to start. His touch was sublime. The only thing I think he was lacking was a bit of confidence. But he will only get that once he scores or assists his first goal. I really do think as soon as he does that we'll see what he can really do. So for me that is my other change. He would start for me now. The question is for who out of Snodgrass or Antonio?

Snodgrass has been superb this season. But lacks a bit of pace. And the trouble is Yarmalenko likes playing on the right like him too. So can it work if you shaft one of them to another position? Whereas Antonio can at least play on the left and has more pace. Albeit lacks the intelligence both Snodgrass and Yarmalenko has.

The partner next to Diop is just as much a dilemma as Ogbonna makes a lot of sense for his experience and height. Plus another reason I thought Diop looked a little bit more comfortable yesterday was because he played on his natural right side. Which he'll get to do if Ogbomna plays. But he has been really poor, so I don't have a lot of trust in him anymore. Balbuena has been 'okay'. But lacks a bit of height. And he seems to be favoured as the right sided centre half, so Diop gets shafted to the left side. Thus he has looked more awkward with the ball at times. I guess I would stick with Balbuena for at least 1 more game. But why not try and play Balbuena at the left side of the 2 centre halves!? At least he is old enough so has a bit of experience on his side.

I presume Noble is still out? I still stick by what I said in the Wimbledon thread that to make us more solid in midfield I wouldn't play Wilshere. It's harsh on him and I think he has played well. But for me we need a bit more defensive steel. I was hoping Obiang would be the answer, but I am not so sure after last night's performance. So crazily I would give Rice more chance in midfield. But next to the more experienced Sanchez along his side.

So my revised team for the game is as follows, pending Arnie and Antonio being okay for the game:

--------------------------------------------Fabianski-----------------------------------------

-Fredericks----------------Diop------------------------Balbuena-----------------Masuaku-

--------------------------------Sanchez--------------Rice----------------------------------------

-Yarmalenko----------------------------Anderson---------------------------------Antonio-

------------------------------------------Arnautovic(c)---------------------------------------------

Subs: Adrian, Zabaleta, Ogbonna, Wilshere, Obiang, Snodgrass, Perez.

Very harsh on Snodgrass, who was my MOTM for the Wimbledon game. But the only way Yarmalenko can grow as a player IMO is for him to keep playing. And he plays in Snodgrass's position. You could play him behind Arnie, a bit like what happened to Downing when we moved him to the middle, but that would mean shafting Anderson to the left, which makes no sense.
Jon
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Wolves are not the usual promoted team. Their effort against City was v impressive.

We'll do well to win. Lose and we go into the Int break on anti depressants. 4 defeats could become 6. Massive game.

Can't wait. Got quoted £57+booking fee but have managed to get a ticket from a mate.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 933 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

funky chicken wrote:For me we should be aiming for at least a draw. Just to have something to build from. But we really need to start picking up wins. And I don't care who it's against. We can't keep saying there's always next week as sooner or later there won't be another chance. And we can't keep viewing every game as being tough for an excuse to say a defeat is acceptable. What are we suppose to do, only beat Huddersfield all season!? :P if we want to finish at least mid table then you really need to look to take points in games like this.

From last night's game at Wimbledon and the Arsenal game, I have certainly learned a lot more about the squad and surely Pellers has too.

The only players last night out of the starting 11 for me who took their chance was: Yarmalenko, Rice and Cresswell.

Zabaleta was solid too to be fair. But Fredericks offers far more pace so still starts ahead of him for me.

Obiang was the player I was actually the most disappointed with. Even more so than the strikers. As Perez to be fair has only just had 1 start and I don't rate Hernandez whatsoever, and if I had it my way wouldn't even be at the club anymore. But I was hoping Obiang would show what he could offer with his place in the team under threat. He was in my team for this game from the Wimbledon thread. But after that performance he can stay on the bench where he deserves to be.

The only 2 other things I was contemplating was:

1) After Yarmalenko's promising performance, should he come into the team? And if so who for out of Snodgrass and Antonio?
2) Who should start next to Diop?

I personally think Yarmalenko did show enough to start. His touch was sublime. The only thing I think he was lacking was a bit of confidence. But he will only get that once he scores or assists his first goal. I really do think as soon as he does that we'll see what he can really do. So for me that is my other change. He would start for me now. The question is for who out of Snodgrass or Antonio?

Snodgrass has been superb this season. But lacks a bit of pace. And the trouble is Yarmalenko likes playing on the right like him too. So can it work if you shaft one of them to another position? Whereas Antonio can at least play on the left and has more pace. Albeit lacks the intelligence both Snodgrass and Yarmalenko has.

The partner next to Diop is just as much a dilemma as Ogbonna makes a lot of sense for his experience and height. Plus another reason I thought Diop looked a little bit more comfortable yesterday was because he played on his natural right side. Which he'll get to do if Ogbomna plays. But he has been really poor, so I don't have a lot of trust in him anymore. Balbuena has been 'okay'. But lacks a bit of height. And he seems to be favoured as the right sided centre half, so Diop gets shafted to the left side. Thus he has looked more awkward with the ball at times. I guess I would stick with Balbuena for at least 1 more game. But why not try and play Balbuena at the left side of the 2 centre halves!? At least he is old enough so has a bit of experience on his side.

I presume Noble is still out? I still stick by what I said in the Wimbledon thread that to make us more solid in midfield I wouldn't play Wilshere. It's harsh on him and I think he has played well. But for me we need a bit more defensive steel. I was hoping Obiang would be the answer, but I am not so sure after last night's performance. So crazily I would give Rice more chance in midfield. But next to the more experienced Sanchez along his side.

So my revised team for the game is as follows, pending Arnie and Antonio being okay for the game:

--------------------------------------------Fabianski-----------------------------------------

-Fredericks----------------Diop------------------------Balbuena-----------------Masuaku-

--------------------------------Sanchez--------------Rice----------------------------------------

-Yarmalenko----------------------------Anderson---------------------------------Antonio-

------------------------------------------Arnautovic(c)---------------------------------------------

Subs: Adrian, Zabaleta, Ogbonna, Wilshere, Obiang, Snodgrass, Perez.

Very harsh on Snodgrass, who was my MOTM for the Wimbledon game. But the only way Yarmalenko can grow as a player IMO is for him to keep playing. And he plays in Snodgrass's position. You could play him behind Arnie, a bit like what happened to Downing when we moved him to the middle, but that would mean shafting Anderson to the left, which makes no sense.
Be interesting to see if noble is near the team

He was 100% at rush green today . Played golf at the course that runs along side

Saw MP (nice to see a manager engaging with training)
Noble
Anderson
Zabs
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

mushy wrote:I clearly don't understand what 'should be winning ' actually means then.
I am basing my opinions on what I have seen of both teams so far this season.
James is basing his opinion on where he thinks Wolves will end up in the table this season which seems a little irrelevant to me.
It's like current form counts for nothing.
To word it another way, I think Wolves are about the 11th - 15th best side in the league. Over the course of the whole season I think the league table will reflect this. The final league table is generally credited as being a reliable arbiter of teams' relative quality in that season.

If we perceive ourselves as being roughly about the 10th or 11th best side in the league, (or at least aspire to be) and we accept that home advantage plays a part in determining results, then we should have a decent level of expectancy that we can beat the worst ten team in the league at the London Stadium. I think therefore we should be beating Wolves at home.

Now there's massive variance in football and of course we won't beat every team who finishes below us and lose to every team who finishes above us, but on the balance of probabilities, if we rate ourselves as being about middle of the bunch, Wolves at home is fixture we should be looking to take three points from, even given the quality of their recent play.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4252 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Let's not talk them up too much - they drew 2-2 against 10 man Everton and lost 2-0 to 10 man Leicester.

As a team, it looks like they are a bit like us - far better in attack than defence. Boly looked truly chaotic in the Everton game - even more out of his depth than our lot.

They could be absolutely ideal opposition for a Pellegrini team.

If Arnie is unavailable, Yarmy in out wide, Antonio up top for me. Otherwise, the same team that played Arsenal.
sledger

Post by sledger »

I cant believe one of the early posts on this topic is still moaning about the OS stadium.
GET OVER IT. MOVE ON. :scarfer:
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

I've seen us improve game by game and feel pretty confident we wont loose this one.

Lets have a good attacking performance please West Ham and a clean sheet.

2 nil to the Cockney boys.

:crest:
rciron
Has liked: 295 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

HalfTimePie wrote:From the oppositions forum "Will be in the home end. My nephew watches games there but does not support them. He reckons they are the biggest bell end supporters he has met!!"
F*ckin joke lot they are, will never forget up their place - 2000 grown men singing the Jeff Beck classic (not) 'hi ho wolverhampton, in their mong brummy accent c*nts :thdn:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

We need to get Anderson involved, centrally, moving forward from their side of the centre circle; he plays with his head up and can run directly with ball at feet. That's the most positive approach: our biggest signing with the chance to improve on his home debut.

2-1 Irons