Everton 1-3 West Ham Utd (16/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: ⚽ Everton vs West Ham Utd: match thread (16/9)

Post by Ironing Board »

mumbles87 wrote: Will be serving the last game of his suspension against us

And now rashford is out of the United game

Just need Pedro out the Chelsea game and that’s one pacey forward from the next 3 oppo
That’s a relief - it’s not like they have a pacey forward like that Martial fella desperate for a game....
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

3-0 Everton
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Fabianski

Zabaleta
Balbuena
Diop
Masuaku

Noble
Sanchez
Obiang

Wilshere

Anderson
Arnautovic

A back seven, with counter-attacking opportunity.

What we need most is a clean sheet.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

prophet:marginal wrote:Fabianski

Zabaleta
Balbuena
Diop
Masuaku

Noble
Sanchez
Obiang

Wilshere

Anderson
Arnautovic

A back seven, with counter-attacking opportunity.

What we need most is a clean sheet.

That midfield exposes our weakness. What we need there is 3 big players of African extraction
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Meanwhile, back on planet earth...
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I had a bad feeling for the wolves game. I have a good feeling for this one.

Fabianski

Fredericks
Balbuena
Diop
Masuaku

Sanchez
Wilshere
Obiang

Yarmolenko
Arnautovic
Anderson
Patito

Post by Patito »

Wouldn’t mind us lining up with either funky chicken’s or Hammer in Maryland’s line up. Another tough fixture. At the very minimum we have to work harder all over the pitch both with and without the ball.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Until he starts playing 3 at the back, we will continue to lose.

Shame he won't do that, it doesn't have to mean negative football, Man City often play with a back 3, as do Spurs.

Seems that his unwillingness to adapt his tactics, to suit the squad of players he has, will be his downfall, instead he sticks to his favorite formations, when it's remains quite clear to everyone, that the players we have just don't fit with his ideas.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Puff Daddy wrote: That midfield exposes our weakness. What we need there is 3 big players of African extraction
Like, say, Kouyate, Obiang and Edmilson Fernandes? A midfield 3 who always did terribly for us?
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

somerset-hammer wrote:Until he starts playing 3 at the back, we will continue to lose.

Shame he won't do that, it doesn't have to mean negative football, Man City often play with a back 3, as do Spurs.
Was thinking the same over the weekend; playing three at the back doesn't have to end up in 5-4-1 and just banging it down the channels for Arnie to chase.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

If you think he will change his approach you are in fantasyland - he always plays the same style. He may tinker with the formation and players, but the main thrust of how he wants the game to be played will not change.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Tin hat time, but since he’s clearly playing the tinkerman until it clicks, I’d try playing 2 up front and not necessarily having either of those be Arnie.

We’ve started to fall into the trap of “Andy Carroll football” with him chasing the ball like a Labrador.

Bloke was and is actually a decent option as a winger, his goal tally marks the fact that under both Moyes and now this fella that lone striker role has led to a fair few defeats when distribution hasn’t been there.

I’d play Hernandez and Perez up front for this, I’d also bring Noble back in

We probably won’t though.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Ironing Board wrote:If you think he will change his approach you are in fantasyland - he always plays the same style. He may tinker with the formation and players, but the main thrust of how he wants the game to be played will not change.
Like almost every manager we’ve ever had then.
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

Given how utterly useless we were on Saturday cant see anything but a heavy loss from each of the next few games.

they had best be putting in the hard yards over the international break and I'd be inclined to deny any of the internationals permission to go and play in the pointless 'friendlies'
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Fabianski;

Zabaleta, Balbuena, Diop, Masuaku;

Wilshere;

Snodgrass, Anderson, Yarmolenko;

Hernandez, Arnautovic

Think this is pretty similar to the team that started at Arsenal bar one or two? We should of stayed with it for the Wolves game as Cresswell and Antonio both were poor. I’d stick with Wilshere though. Reckon we can match Everton on the day it’s just whether we turn up or not, the pressure is definitely on us though and Goodison hasnt been traditionally a happy hunting ground for us in the past.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Needs a holding midfielder (Sanchez) IMO steps.

Line-up against Arsenal: Fabiankski, Fredericks, Balbuena, Diop, Masuaku, Sanchez, Wilshere, Snodgrass, Antonio, Anderson, Arnautovic.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Can I just say that I have.......................*sigh*
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Patito wrote:Needs a holding midfielder (Sanchez) IMO steps.

Line-up against Arsenal: Fabiankski, Fredericks, Balbuena, Diop, Masuaku, Sanchez, Wilshere, Snodgrass, Antonio, Anderson, Arnautovic.
I’d be tempted to stick with Fredricks tbh, I don’t think he played as bad on Saturday as some have made out. He definitely gives us pace but I like the experience Zaba brings, all depends who Everton deploy down the right I suppose.

Antonio doesn’t warrant a start based on Wolves. Looked very pedestrian-like casually jogging about showing a distinct lack of interest.

Probably agree on Sanchez, he hasn’t played badly it’s just the clanger that put me off including him in my 11. It’s probably worth sticking with him, dropping him would be a blow his to confidence - something which we haven’t got going for us at the minute.
Patito

Post by Patito »

I'd agree with all that steps. Performance wise, Arsenal was the best we've managed in the league by a mile. I'd go with something similar to that line-up, Yarmolenko in for Antonio as I feel we can't just keep giving the ball back to the opposition so easily.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

We need to be smarter and keep the ball better higher up the pitch. Antonio gets it forward quickly but that also usually results in us conceding possession too quickly. Anderson has also been guilty of sloppy passing high up the pitch and needlessly giving the ball away. Snodgrass has been OK but hasn't been too effective in causing any real kind of threat. I wouldn't write Perez off simply because of his anonymous game against Wimbledon... he's a good creator and a smart passer aswell as a threat up front. I would also say that we're still badly missing Lanzini. It's not always about creating something - sometimes its simply about keeping the flow of play moving in an attacking position. Lanzini did that well - almost like an attacking version of Noble. It's that sloppy passing that allows the opposition to get a real foothold in the game and start dominating - and that was the case last season too, and the season before. Wolves moved the ball around the pitch much better than us. Most teams too. We play with a lack of confidence, a lack of urgency, and a complete absence of 'off the ball' movement. I see our creators receive the ball often, look up, and fail to see anyone making any kind of run. That's a big problem.