West Ham Utd 0-0 Chelsea (23/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread (23/9)

Post by Patito »

Sendo, JJB & bubbs :thup:
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Sendo and JBB I whole heartedly agree.

I thought that our best performance this year. For all their possession, I can't remember a clear cut opportunity for them and yet we had two (Antonio and Yarmalenko).

I think looking at any team or individual negatives is being a bit too picky, in what was (for me) a very good team performance.

Also, thumbs up to those in both the corners near the away supporters who provided a great atmosphere.
student_hammer
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by student_hammer »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:Some people are easily satisfied.
Some people are c*nts
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Thought rice was outstanding but another highlight for me was Balbuena. Solid and beginning to develop a real partnership with Diop.

Only negative was that without Arnie or even Carroll up front we look pretty clueless without a focal point. We’re approaching away games like Home and vice versa. The new ground syndrome should be eradicating but instead it seems deeply ingrained
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Rio wrote:Thought rice was outstanding but another highlight for me was Balbuena.
Reads the game very well, doesn't he?
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Thought Antonio did alright today. Like others have said, his chances weren't exactly sitters. Funnily enough the one thing I thought he didn't do too well at was knocking it past a defender then running on. That was his bread and butter not so long ago.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Some people still pretend that Antonio is a 'versatile' player when he really isn't. Cannot play RB, cannot play CF. Arnautovic would have scored those chances today.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

the one Antonio hit against the keepers legs, the commentary team said that his run (and on reflection they were correct) didn't help Yarmolenko at all..if you look he ran into the space that Yarmo was running.... he was too close to the end line to receive a pass and took a defender with him...

would have done better if he held his run for maybe a pass back ?????

easier said than done I know, probably just wanting to get into a place to help Yarmo but it's little things like this than have people saying "he has no football intelligence..."
ictrucker

Post by ictrucker »

TommyHammer wrote:Some people still pretend that Antonio is a 'versatile' player when he really isn't. Cannot play RB, cannot play CF. Arnautovic would have scored those chances today.
Maybe, maybe not. But if Antonio had had yammos chance id have bet on him burying it.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio »

ictrucker wrote:Maybe, maybe not. But if Antonio had had yammos chance id have bet on him burying it.
I’d wager far differently. I don’t think West Ham Mike mk. 3 would have got it anywhere nearer than Andriy. In fact I think it would have been further off the mark
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

TommyHammer wrote:Some people still pretend that Antonio is a 'versatile' player when he really isn't. Cannot play RB, cannot play CF. Arnautovic would have scored those chances today.
Not necessarily. I have seen Arnoutovic miss a couple of easier ones than Antonio's first one when approaching the goal from the left side
ictrucker

Post by ictrucker »

M.A, scores with his head. A.Y. with his left peg. But if he misses the goal with his next free header from six yards ill happily donate a tenner to the BMF. What you do if he scores is up to you.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio »

ictrucker wrote:M.A, scores with his head. A.Y. with his left peg. But if he misses the goal with his next free header from six yards ill happily donate a tenner to the BMF. What you do if he scores is up to you.
Fair enough. I’ll devote another 18 years to moderating this site in increasing view of people unwilling to accept differing opinions, plus stick a tenner to the MS society
ictrucker

Post by ictrucker »

[/quote]

Fair enough. I’ll devote another 18 years to moderating this site in increasing view of people unwilling to accept differing opinions, plus stick a tenner to the MS society[/quote]

I admire and applaud the work and effort of all the mods on this site Rio. However i think it apt to point out that it was me who posted the original opinion and you who didnt accept it.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Post by Rio »

ictrucker wrote:
I admire and applaud the work and effort of all the mods on this site Rio. However i think it apt to point out that it was me who posted the original opinion and you who didnt accept it.
And likewise I countered and you didn’t accept it and laid a wager on the table.

But anyway back on topic...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

The issue with Antonio is he was asked to play CF when he isn't one. That snatched shot came about because he was trying to run the same channel that Yarm was running, and the ball just fell to him. He should really have been pealing off for a cross or rebound as most CF would.

As to Yarms header, yes you'd fancy Mick to bury that, but then you'd fancy most players to bury that. If my auntie had b*llocks and all that...
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

We’ve had a really tough run of games, bit maybe, just maybe everything is coming together now. We have a strong enough squad to rest a few of our players againt Macclesfield, and if we do, i hope to see us get three points vs Man U.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Overall Chelsea were the better team by far so nicking a point is fine with me. Space telly is telling me they had 72% possession . . . christ . . .

Their best shot on goal - by far - didn't come until 91st minute from Barkley. That was the only real time Fab had to make an outstanding save - rest of their shots were either wide of the target or straight at him.

We will always struggle without our main man up front - he really is a difference maker.

Lots of good performances today - Rice, Noble, Obiang, and all the back four bar Masuaku. I like Arthur but he had a tough time today - perhaps that says more about the quality of the opposition rather than anything Masuaku did or didn't do.

Key aspect of the game for both teams is taking a look at what Hazard didn't do. Zabaletta, Obiang, Yarmolenko and Rice didn't give him enough space to work his magic. Towards the end of the second half Hazard was drifting all over the pitch as he tried find a few yards. Tactically, Pellegrini did exactly the right thing to stop him, and it mostly worked. I say mostly as Hazard still could of won the match but fluffed his lines a couple of times.

And speaking of fluffing lines, Yaremolenko will be replaying that header in his head for a few years to come . . .
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

I see the MOTD axis of bellendery strike again.

West Ham...yea Rice played okay in midfield despite Chelsea ABSOLUTELY SWAMPING HIM, but they only got a draw because Chelsea aren't good enough in the final third and are obviously tired because they all played on Thursday.

Are they worse than Sky? They've completely changed their team in the last few years, but watching Keown, Kilbane, Jenas and PNeville is like watching gravel slowly erode into sand.

:arry:
Clyde Best
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Clyde Best »

Well that was a great day out, so pleased we didn't give the Russians any joy, thought Nobes, Pedro and Declan were fantastic, could not believe Yarmolenko missed the sitter at the end. Shout out to Sean and Chris in the Queens Yard after the game, had me in hysterics.

Just watched MOTD2 they seemed to forget there was another team playing in that game, that had better chances than the little Belgian and his mates ffs. Onwards and upwards.