Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 West Ham Utd (05/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Brendan
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion v West Ham Utd: match thread (5/10)

Post by Brendan »

It will be difficult to play as bad again against Brighton as we did in last seasons two matches. We went in 1-1 away to Brighton last season against the run of play and Brighton deserved the win. Think Brighton will target most home games as winnable, the crowd gets behind them and makes a bit of noise.

Hopefully we will continue improving and if we can stop them scoring in the first 20 to 30 minutes that may quieten the crowd and go on to get a draw or win.

If they do push onto us then Anderson can maybe see a bit of the ball with open grass in front of him, as previous poster mentioned I think Anderson against their right back is one area we might get some joy.

Think Brighton is a decent stadium, easy to get drinks/food. Staying Friday night so a point or win will help.
artlin

Post by artlin »

MP has now got the mark of these players. He knows who is capable of what.

Midfield will be key, with Sanchez laid up it is becoming an issue but Rice, Noble and Obiang seems to be working well. A smart coach would be training up CRESSWELL to play in that role. He is fit and proved himself invaluable last season as Center Half. I think he would do well as a Mark Noble or Declan Rice stand in.

Speaking of Declan Rice ................... WOW, what a player.

Confidence is high.

0 - 2 and 3 points.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

For anyone getting to the ground early -

There is a supporters’ Club within the stadium. Take off colours and they didn’t check tickets last time. Harvey’s ales on tap and local sourced pies/burgers are excellent and pub prices.

Imagine having such revolutionary thinking at our gaff!
keithrobsonsbookie

Post by keithrobsonsbookie »

Away fans may save a few bob using Brighton's free local travel scheme. Just need to produce a matchday ticket. https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/s ... -nov17.pdf
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Swagger, panache, Joie de vivre, a bit more than just a ****ing hot dog.

That's what I want to see Friday night, a little bit of class, style, not flash, but playing with an inner confidence that says "we're better than you".

Of course we'll have to work hard to earn the right to play like that, but as Sean Dyche says , the minimum requirement is maximum effort.

Let's turn it on, school them, remind them there's a pecking order, and they're nowhere near the top.

Steve bloody Foster and his silly headband. And a crap out of town ground.

To the sword.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

^^^^
I had forgotten about Steve Foster :thup: :D
ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by ammo »

the pink palermo wrote:Swagger, panache, Joie de vivre, a bit more than just a ****ing hot dog.

That's what I want to see Friday night, a little bit of class, style, not flash, but playing with an inner confidence that says "we're better than you".

Of course we'll have to work hard to earn the right to play like that, but as Sean Dyche says , the minimum requirement is maximum effort.

Let's turn it on, school them, remind them there's a pecking order, and they're nowhere near the top.

Steve bloody Foster and his silly headband. And a crap out of town ground.

To the sword.
Love it :thup: :crest:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I purposefully left this thread alone for a couple of days, and notice plenty of people confidently predicting a comfortable win for us.

The reality is that this is the sort of game that'll show us a real mark of where West Ham are. In the past we've been all too regular at turning up big style against the top teams, and then falling asleep against the less fashionable clubs.

Make no mistake, Brighton are not a crap team. They are defensively solid, they're hard working, and unlike the teams we've played in recent weeks they wont be wide open at the back allowing us to counter, nor will they pile forward desperate for a win. Their tactics will not play to our strengths - quite the opposite, we'll likely have to be the ones to break down a tough defence whilst guarding against the counter.

Don't forget also that just a few weeks this lot were turning Man Utd over too (although to be fair, everyone's beating them these days, so is it really an achievement).

I'll be happy enough to see us continue our good run and turn up against this lot, and will be satisfied with an away point - which would be a vast improvement on our performances vs this lot last season.

:crest:
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

I wouldn't say they are defensively solid - they've been conceding two goals a game for quite a while...which makes it very difficult to win regularly. Having said that, they do work hard and compete and I expect this to be a tougher game than the Man Utd one proved to be.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

BubbleBoy wrote:I wouldn't say they are defensively solid - they've been conceding two goals a game for quite a while...which makes it very difficult to win regularly. Having said that, they do work hard and compete and I expect this to be a tougher game than the Man Utd one proved to be.
All true, that's why Im going 1:2 to pella's boys.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

They work hard as that's mostly what they have, energy and effort. If we match that we have the better quality and all things being equal should win the game.
But as someone once said, football is a funny old game so anything is possible.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Glen Murray will score at least once. I'll go away win but only just. 1-2.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Glen Murray will score at least once. I'll go away win but only just. 1-2.
Against our two centre backs? I very much doubt it.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I think their working hard could end up working against them. We have the technical ability in Anderson, Arnautovic, Yarmolenko, Noble, even Obiang, Masuaku and Diop to pass circles around anyone. We did it around Man Utd’s midfield and defence.

If they want to run themselves into the ground chasing the ball around whilst we continue to recycle possession this will only stand to tire them out and leave gaps for our pace and technical players to expose.

Routine 2-0 win. Arnautovic and Noble.
slimcharles42

Post by slimcharles42 »

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent pub in Brighton to watch this one? I'm assuming pubs near the station are gonna be pretty packed, and would rather sleep on broken glass than go to the King and Queen. :clap:
chykken
Total likes: 1 like

Post by chykken »

There is some amazing chemistry developing between the players. I am boggled to think of how Pellegrini can reintegrate Reid or Lanzini once they return from physio land. Diop and Balbuena are improving week by week. Noble and Zabaletta's re-emergence is inspiring. I feel as though we are a little thin in midfield, we just cannot afford any more injuries here.

0-1 Noble penalty
jevs
Has liked: 474 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

This is a bloody nightmare to predict. Living and working in BHA territory, I have a lot of mates who support them. We better show up this year after last years shambles.
To be honest, I’d settle for a draw but would love it if we beat them.
COYFI
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

jevs wrote: would love it if we beat them.
You are Kevin Keegan and I claim my £5.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Point at best here. But I'd be happy with that. Hopefully It's a high scoring one with lots of entertainment. 3-3?
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1319 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

jevs wrote: Living and working in BHA territory, I have a lot of mates who support them. We better show up this year after last years shambles. To be honest, I’d settle for a draw but would love it if we beat them.
COYFI
Same, jevs. This is the big one!