West Ham Utd 4-2 Burnley (03/11/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread (03/11)

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

but then again Cresswell was zonal marking and can't be on the post......
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Burnley have headed chances against most teams, some with more doninant defenders than we have. It's their strength. It's their defence that's been letting them down this season.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

fair enough mate..however we do need to match up like for like...

Wood almost got the third if you remember .........Balbuena got sucked in, ball played over him, no one even close and he nicked the top of the cross bar...
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3635 likes
Total likes: 2319 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Coops wrote:Even Sean Dyche thinks it was a penalty.
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133002

Fair play to him for that.
Redeemed himself slightly after spending the entire 90 minutes ranting and raving like a bellend on the touch line.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 75 likes
Total likes: 304 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I'm not going to get too excited about our performance. It's good we got a win with another vital match coming up next v huddersfield but we still had a lot of flaws in defence and possession. And burnley really aren't very good. Also everyone around me was slating Anderson up until he scored and i don't think it was misplaced judgement.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

That was such a good game and was a perfect example of West Ham this season :lol:

Completely in control, could have been 3-0 up and walk in at half time at 1-1 somehow...
We have been needing a bit of luck all season to go our way, as our performances haven't merited our league position in my opinion. Therefore it was lovely to see Anderson's second goal bobble in the way it did, we earned that!
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

kitthehammer wrote:I'm not going to get too excited about our performance. It's good we got a win with another vital match coming up next v huddersfield but we still had a lot of flaws in defence and possession. And burnley really aren't very good. Also everyone around me was slating Anderson up until he scored and i don't think it was misplaced judgement.

I thought anderson was showing right from the kick off that he was in the mood for this one. His ball retention in tight situations is very good, although he's better with the more athletic masuaku baking him up. Of course the more athletic masuaku is the same one who also gives silly goals away, but that's for another thread
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Looking at the Wood goal...

Cresswell, Hernandez and Anderson are not marking anyone, just positioned in space to stop a near post ball or low delivery. Had Cresswell actually been on the post, he'd have easily stopped the effort on the line.
Balbuena is marking Barnes and trying to protect Fabianski on the goal line
Zabaleta is marking Mee
Snodgrass is marking Wood
Diop is marking Tarkowski (actually wrestles him to the ground)
Rice is marking Taylor
Diagana is keeping an eye on Gudmundsson on the edge of the box...

We were well organised, it is just a decent delivery and Snodgrass gets totally beaten in the air by a better jump and a good header. I guess you would question why Balbuena wasn't assigned to Wood after he was thrown on as a sub.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2596 likes
Total likes: 1729 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Galwayman wrote:

It's grand for what it is - but I don't think it will ever be able to replace the atmosphere when we were in full voice in UP (bear in mind I'm a dinosaur :D )
Ok , thanks for that , mate - Depending on how things go with our new holiday let the plan is to try to get down sometime next season or maybe late on this season to see the London Stadium for myself .
The Boleyn Ground [ or Upton Park ] was a great place to go , nothing at all wrong with it apart from its capacity , everyone loved going to the old place [ including opposition fans ] , the atmosphere at times was electric but how much of that is down to acoustics or fans is debatable , I think or should I say , I hope that the London Stadium will one day match Upton Park for atmosphere .

I'm 62 , mate , a young Dinosaur . :)
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

sutts07 wrote:
We were well organised, it is just a decent delivery and Snodgrass gets totally beaten in the air by a better jump and a good header. I guess you would question why Balbuena wasn't assigned to Wood after he was thrown on as a sub.
Surely you have Arnautovic back in the box marking Wood rather than Snodgrass. Then move Anderson up the other end of the pitch for a counter attack. Burnley's biggest threat is in the air from corners, we should have been better prepared for that.
essexguy

Post by essexguy »

I think snodders (and I do love the bloke) could have done a little bit better even though he was mismatched.

Rather than wrestling the player he may have been able to just run with the player and make sure Wood didn't get a free header but was at the very least under some pressure. Probably still wouldn't have made much of a difference.
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Diangana had Taylor on the back foot from the first 20 seconds. So great to see such positivity in the side.
Same for Anderson and Lowton... within the first 45 seconds of the game, both full backs had been made aware that they were up against a winger who was looking to (and could) get past them.

It really set the tone, five mins in, Burnley had hardly touched the ball and we were getting at them at will.

That is when the meaty challenges started to creep in. Tarkowski went in studs first on Arnautovic in the 5th min with both of his feet off of the ground as he flew in. He gets the ball but only due to Arnautovic pulling out of it. Had Arnautovic tried to play the ball, I have no doubt he would have been seriously injured.

As Arnautovic is still wagging his finger in Tarkowski's face, Mee goes flying through the back of Obiang after the ball has been played. Again using both legs to tackle from behind with excessive force. Two terrible tackles within 30 seconds of each other. The first not even pulled up, neither of them resulting in a caution.

Anyone could see it was their way of trying to get some kind of a foot hold in the game as they hadn't got near us up until that point. Both could have ended in serious injury, the fact they didn't is not a reason to let them go unpunished in my opinion.

A stronger ref would have been on top of these from the start. And the fact Tarkowski goes on to do the same, if not worse to Diangana in the second half is exactly why refs need to be stronger from the off. We can't have a 'first one is free' mentality in this day in age. We were very lucky not to suffer yet another very serious injury in this game.

Ironically I think the Tarkowski foul on Arnautovic backfires on him in the best possible way. Within minutes he gets a bit of a hospital pass himself and as Arnautovic is still clearly wound up, he steams towards Tarkowski clearly intent on giving him one back... Tarkowski panics, completely cocks up and Arnautovic picks his pocket for the first goal.

Hence the celebration from Arnautovic where he is getting in Tarkowski's face.
Last edited by sutts07 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

That tackle from Mee was terrible. One thing that pisses me off watching football streams is having to listen to Tony Gale who i think tries to get around bias by just constantly criticising everything West Ham do and talks about how the game has gone soft at any opportunity. He tried saying Mee got the ball for christ sake... :lol: He got the ball, after coming through Obiang first from the side!

The referee was appalling to be honest, didn't punish some bad tackles and completely missed what is a bread and butter penalty decision right in front of him. Should have been a pretty easy game to manage as Burnley were out to be physical from the start and got off lightly with some poor tackles early doors.
Patito

Post by Patito »

sutts07 wrote: It really set the tone, five mins in, Burnley had hardly touched the ball and we were getting at them at will.

That is when the meaty challenges started to creep in. Tarkowski went in studs first on Arnautovic in the 5th min with both of his feet off of the ground as he flew in. He gets the ball but only due to Arnautovic pulling out of it. Had Arnautovic tried to play the ball, I have no doubt he would have been seriously injured.

As Arnautovic is still wagging his finger in Tarkowski's face, Mee goes flying through the back of Obiang after the ball has been played. Again using both legs to tackle from behind with excessive force. Two terrible tackles within 30 seconds of each other. The first not even pulled up, neither of them resulting in a caution.

For the chaps in the Arnie thread asking why he sneered at Tarkowski after he scored...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

sutts07 wrote:Looking at the Wood goal...

Cresswell, Hernandez and Anderson are not marking anyone, just positioned in space to stop a near post ball or low delivery. Had Cresswell actually been on the post, he'd have easily stopped the effort on the line.
Balbuena is marking Barnes and trying to protect Fabianski on the goal line
Zabaleta is marking Mee
Snodgrass is marking Wood
Diop is marking Tarkowski (actually wrestles him to the ground)
Rice is marking Taylor
Diagana is keeping an eye on Gudmundsson on the edge of the box...

We were well organised, it is just a decent delivery and Snodgrass gets totally beaten in the air by a better jump and a good header. I guess you would question why Balbuena wasn't assigned to Woord after he was thrown on as a sub.
it isn't good organisation when the opponents tallest player, best header of the ball and main set piece goal threat is marked by one our weakest headers of the ball.

Diop or Balbuena should have been on Wood, or at the very least Rice
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Yeah i think one thing you focus on with Burnley is their set pieces and we didn't even have a plan for their biggest threat. It was ridiculous Snodgrass was picking up Chris Wood, he was the best header of a ball on the pitch
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by e17 »

Gibbins: you’re sadly spot on about Tony Gale, who is the warmest and funniest bloke you’d hope to meet in person, but is painfully critical of anything & everything WHU related during those 90 minutes, to the point of coming across like Victor Meldrew in commentator form.

Doesn’t come across as being unbiased if that is the reason, comes across as an old bloke who hates everything to do with the game except the ability to moan about it.

Which as I say is a shame, as he’s a diamond geezer outside that setting.
Lt. Discussion

Post by Lt. Discussion »

Thanks for clearing that up for me patito. I missed the first 8 mins so wondered what Arnie was doing when he scored. I've got to stop underestimating how long it takes to get to the bowl from the King Edward VII!
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Just watched our penalty shout again, the ref is having a laugh isn't he?

It's as blatant a penalty as you'll see all year.
S-H
Has liked: 5722 likes
Total likes: 9640 likes

Post by S-H »

Billydinho wrote:Just watched our penalty shout again, the ref is having a laugh isn't he?

It's as blatant a penalty as you'll see all year.
100%, good job Burnley are so poor, as it could have cost us the game.