Huddersfield Town 1-1 West Ham Utd (10/11/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Re: ⚽ Huddersfield Town v West Ham Utd: match thread (10/11)

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Vienna wrote:That back pass from Cresswell, what has happened to him?.
West Ham mate, West Ham. It can be a slow-developing disease...
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Cresswell 2 tackles (Diop 4, Rocky 3) 1 interceptions (Diop 0, Rocky 3) 5 clearances (Diop 4, Rocky 5)

most touches on the team 79 - 78% passing accuracy. not dreadful by any stretch.....

not brilliant but not awful....

Is there a stat for horrendous back-passes, Cuenc? :D
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Thought we really missed Noble today. Rice wasn't his usual composed self, and lost the ball quite a bit today.
Decent point considering Huddersfield were probably the better side, but disappointed we didn't turn up.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Cresswell 2 tackles (Diop 4, Rocky 3) 1 interceptions (Diop 0, Rocky 3) 5 clearances (Diop 4, Rocky 5)

most touches on the team 79 - 78% passing accuracy. not dreadful by any stretch.....

not brilliant but not awful....
Patito wrote:
Is there a stat for horrendous back-passes, Cuenc? :D
no mate, but if there was, he would win it hands down....

I am not even sure I was able to say WTF at the time, because it even surpassed a WTF moment........

takes a lot to stump me for expletives...

:D
Patito

Post by Patito »

Onwards and upwards eh, I worry for us against City next time out... :oops:
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Seeing it again just now, that was a great finish by Anderson.
Huddersfield played well & too many of our players had an off day.
As someone said, another West Ham might well have lost that game.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

That was a superbly taken goal by Felipe , such vision , such composure , such a talent , reminded me of a certain Italian .
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Zaza??
The Old Man of Storr

p.s. Next time , boot it upfield , Cressie and try your level best to hit a team mate .
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

We were very poor first half with Huddersfield the better team. Don't care what the stats say. A point was all we deserved. Too many players careless and some clearly don't like it up them.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Didn’t think we were good today, a very disjointed performance with too many off colour. Probably the worst Arnautovic game since he became the Good Arnautovic. Also thought Diop looked off the pace and a bit shaky. We did do well to cling on considering we had a bystander with Fred’s injury.

I’d say that a lot of it was to do with how frantically the math started and how Huddersfield got after us for around about the first 55-60 minutes. The first 10 minutes was like watching a MOTD highlights package; the game was relentless in the opening exchanges.

Come the end, they will look back at that as points dropped and I’d take that as one scratched, clawed and taken away.

Their goal was a bit ridiculous, poor from Anderson and then Rice, but I’m unsure what happened with Fabianski. Just seems not to have had his eye on it to begin with and was chasing shadows after.

I feel Grady was a little harshly done by as we needed his link play, but he had been quiet.

Snodgrass (when in midfield, he was poor on the wing), Balbuena and Anderson come out with some credit, whilst Rice was fine without being good. I’d have said Cresswell played alright and did well when isolated, which was often, but that pass to Fabianski probably scars too much.

Arnie was poor and drifted out of it. Hernandez didn’t do enough and also stopped us having Arnie in his best position. Antonio shouldn’t not be allowed to shoot or cross the ball, which tells you how I feel about his performance. Obiang was very poor, especially floating awkward passes to people.

All in all, Pellegrini gets credit for his intent and for squeezing out a point, but I don’t think it’s a performance we can take much pride in and should probably be happy to have a point and be out of there.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Poor first half after they scored, better second half ... however giving the ball away one in every five times is just terrible ... we didn't play basic football against a pretty average side ...

We got a point and we move on ... just another bad day in the office I guess, we need to cut these out
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

All week the players have been fantasizing about a thumping away victory. This is why we struggle against lesser teams. Terrible attitude first half.

Deluded arrogant fools. We deserve a better.
The Old Man of Storr

From the little I saw of the game it looked to me as though David Wagner had done his homework on us , Huddersfield players prevented us playing out of defence and at one point I swear it seemed as if they had 15 men to our 11 , they were everywhere , but they're fighting for their Premiership lives while some of ours weren't competing . Sometimes , just sometimes , you have to abandon all the clever triangle stuff and boot it up to the centre forward , don't be too obvious in the way you play your football , change it about now and again . We scored a perfectly good goal there last season with a hoof from Ogbonna to Kouyate to Arnautovic .
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

To their credit, to Wagner’s most likely, they seemed to have learned from last season and also seemed to have seen weaknesses from the Burnley game.

Last year we went there and knew exactly how they’d play and how we wanted to stop it. This year, they weren’t afraid to go longer and that stopped us suffocating them like the fixture last season.

Think a few teams will go direct at us this year and have success. I can’t see this side enjoying facing Watford, for example.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Patito wrote:Onwards and upwards eh, I worry for City against us next time out... :oops:
Amended for you !!!!!

goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I've only seen MOTD and listened to sky's comments live so I can't really comment on how well we played (or not). However this seems like exactly the sort of game we'd have got nothing out of last year, just as last week we'd have settled for 2-2 and in the Leicester game we'd have folded hallway through the 2nd half and lost 3-1. Huddersfield have managed to make life difficult for lots of visiting teams without actually beating them.Last season's game was pretty even until we scored a couple in quick succession to break their spirit. They are a severely limited team, but manage to compete really well.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

goa

didn't we batter them last year ??

:?

not quite sure about the relevance.........................we just for the life of us cannot get consistency going in either the way we show up for these games, or back to back good performances/shyte performances...

does my brain in...

is there the corpse of Babe Ruth buried in "centre field."

goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:goa

didn't we batter them last year ??

:?

not quite sure about the relevance.........................we just for the life of us cannot get consistency going in either the way we show up for these games, or back to back good performances/shyte performances...

does my brain in...

is there the corpse of Babe Ruth buried in "centre field."

Three goals in 16 mins early in the second half destroyed them, but the first half had been faily even. I agree about the lack of consistency, but I think we are edging towards it slowly, inch by inch!
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

I thought after 10 minutes it was obvious that Snodgrass should go wide and Anderson in the middle with Arnautovic. They realised that we would try to go up the wings, yet Anderson will only ever try this hard and Zabaleta is a very, very, very old person.

Didn't see the point of insisting Rice stayed behind a slow midfield 2 of Snodgrass and Obiang. Huddersfield were also going wide and aren't exactly an offensive power, so stuffing our midfield was un-necessary.

Having Noble and Lanzini back is a different team and Carroll could have had his one game and scored in this one before getting injured again.