West Ham Utd 3-2 Crystal Palace (08/12/18)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by S-H » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:45 pm

I get that feeling too e17, I'm loving the fact he's getting better and better. He is class.

TheHandOfDog

Post by TheHandOfDog » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:46 pm

gegsy wrote:I just love watching us play at the moment. Anderson of course but Diangana when he comes on, Snodgrass, Rice - Diop, Zabaleta and Balbuena.

Even when we were losing today and things weren't going great we were trying things that weren't quite coming off. I wasn't bothered at 0-1, i always thought we'd score at some point.

I'm actually looking forward to the games. Been a while since I could say that.
:thup:

S-H

Post by S-H » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Poor Wayne Hennessey.. always on the wrong end of a worldie.. memories of Payets free-kick that had no right going in.

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Hang on. We have won 3 on the trot and now we are gonna finish 7th?

Kin hell....are you truly West ham? We are 1 or 2 more injuries away from playing players out of position? Personally I'm thinking 6 more wins and we are safe! Pardon?
I've been disappointed and broken by West Ham for 30 years, but even when we were struggling some weeks ago, I've quietly felt confident that we could at least finish top 10.

In my opinion, this is by far the strongest squad we've ever had in our history (and yes, I know other clubs are stronger too and it's relative), but there's genuine quality and depth throughout. The fact we could have all the injuries we have and still put out a squad containing Diangana, Carroll, Obiang, Antonio and Cresswell is impressive.

Am really, really hoping for a proper cup run because I've never seen us win a trophy (bar the Intertoto).

Not getting carried away, I just think this is potentially a special West Ham team with depth, balance and genuine quality. That's based on the season as a whole, not last 3 games.

Let's see what happens....!

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:07 pm

FFS ! We've just won three on the trot, scoring 3 on the trot for the first time since Moses was a lad, and there are still some on here moaning ! :? But anyway, the Mighty Hammers March on !

gravesendhammer

Post by gravesendhammer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Glad we won. Time wasting since the 6th minute. All of a sudden running about when they were losing.

Hodgson, the last dinosaur of the game.

gegsy

Post by gegsy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:22 pm

And now Harry's getting shot at with a water cannon. :thup:

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 pm

We’re inconsistent even within games, but we’ve got such genuine quality in key positions that we can blitz teams in and around us even if we just turn it on in moments.

Always felt we were better than them, wasn’t worried at 1-0 down like I would have been last year. We’re capable of scaring 17 of the 19 teams we’ll play and 1-0 doesn’t count us out of anything

arlhe

Post by arlhe » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Now that's what I call entertainment!

Will we have some lows and the occasional thrashing to put up with? I'm sure we will but this is the way I want to see West Ham play..

waynepin

Post by waynepin » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:55 pm

our kids are growing game by game, Diop gets booked and up against Townsend and Zaha who both don't need a challenge to go down, he had another good display, Rice was my man of the match the sooner he signs a new contract the better, cracking result

Parkeslife

Post by Parkeslife » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Rice was brilliant today, however I just can't get over Zab. A warrior of a man, at the end of his career giving 100% of every minute of every game. No wonder he is loved by every team and teammate. Had some complete wage leeches over the years but he certainly earns his pound note.

As I live in Crystal Palace, it's been a great day. All systems go. FA Cup win anyone!! Look lime a pitential cup team ro me. (Cue pitiful defeat)

polar

Post by polar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Great entertainment in the second half. Jacob Steinberg in the Guardian called it right, after we scored it was anarchy, all structure to the game just broke down and it felt like a playground game of football where anything could happen. It happens so rarely in football now, my overall sense was of nail biting fun.

Anderson is turning out to be some player. Heads and shoulders the best attacking player on the pitch.

Sopecial mention to Rice. So many important interceptions and passes. He doesn’t just look to lay it off, he often looks for an attacking pass. Great to watch.

HammerAl

Post by HammerAl » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:14 pm

So happy Snodgrass scored today

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Very entertaining second half - really can see the way MP wants to play but I would not get too carried away about us getting too much higher in the league unless and until we play for 90 minutes and stop conceding very soft goals. We will come up against far better teams than Newcastle, Cardiff and Palace but at least we are beating the teams we should beat

We scored a couple of top goals but had their free kick gone in as opposed to hitting the bar the result and thus the mood on here could have been very different. An excellent second half covered over a very lacklustre first when they won nearly every challenge, our quality was very average and we did not test their keeper once.

For me the real worry was the lack pace, Anderson aside our midfield and attack looked a lot like last year, totally one paced. Once AC was left on his own we really struggled to get meaningful possession in their half. The major difference was at least second half we moved the ball quicker and with purpose, first half everything was slow and mostly sideways or backwards.

I thought Rice was superb in breaking up their game throughout and special mention for Zaba who used all his experience to deal with Zaha. Many advocated Antonio at right back and physically it might have been a better match but would Antonio have had the nouse to deal with him? The way Zaba invited/brought free kicks in the last 5 minutes was a proper old pro in action.

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:16 pm

If we continue with this form, HOTY is going to be the toughest since 2011.

I am Legend

Post by I am Legend » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Can't look at this thread as I missed the game and don't want it spoiled!

Does anyone have a link to watch the full game anywhere please? Would be hugely appreciated!

PM me if you do, thanks so much.

HammerAl

Post by HammerAl » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:18 pm

So happy Snodgrass scored today

johnnyb

Post by johnnyb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:53 pm

Quite a few boos at half-time. What a fickle lot!

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:12 pm

MOTD Downplaying just how good Snodgrass and Anderson's goal was. Seems that Hernandez for them was the better of the three goals. Go figure. :lol:

Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 pm

johnnyb wrote:Quite a few boos at half-time. What a fickle lot!
thought that was cause the ref blew up just as we were mounting an attack.